Who is the best support band you have ever seen live?

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Was hoping to do a top five, but struggling for a fifth...

British Sea Power supporting The Strokes at Ally Pally. Dreadful venue but Americans presumably keep booking it because they think it's actually a palace. 

These New Puritans supporting Crystal Castles at Goldsmiths. Very cool gig. 

Palma Violets supporting The Vaccines at the Brixton Academy. 

Kings of Leon supporting U2 for a CD:UK prerecord at the Riverside Studios! 

I saw the Palma Violets support the vaccines at a festival in France and they were mind blowingly good. They all came in the crowd to watch the vacinnes after. 

Also I forgot the proclaimers supporting the housemartins back in the day at Concert hall in notts. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was talked in to going to sea oasis at Wembley  by my daughter at their height ,, the support band was a surprise late introduction of a back together happy Monday’s ,,, for me I would have payed just to see them alone ,, right up the front and they were brilliant

25 minutes ago, archied said:

Was talked in to going to sea oasis at Wembley  by my daughter at their height ,, the support band was a surprise late introduction of a back together happy Monday’s ,,, for me I would have payed just to see them alone ,, right up the front and they were brilliant

Happy Mondays are quite possibly the worst live band I’ve ever seen. 

Boo Radleys in early shoe-gaze days in The Bell.

I saw the Verve as a support in early 90s...they were terrible to be fair though.

Few years back saw Catfish and the Bottlemen as support, had never heard of them and was very impressed.

14 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Happy Mondays are quite possibly the worst live band I’ve ever seen. 

Can only speak for that one time I’ve seen them 

Went to watch Peter Hook last night and he obviously has the advantage of choosing from two of the best bands ever and an amazing back catalogue 

they did 2 sets, one as New Order and the second as Joy Division....New Order as a support...! Amazing 

On 26/05/2018 at 17:33, RoyMac5 said:

Eddie and the Hot Rods were good at the Kings Hall (I think) and might it have been them support to the Boomtown Rats. My memory is very short term nowadays...

I think I might have been at that gig ?

not sure about the best but I can unequivocally tell you the worst - Sleaford Mods supporting The Specials. I just stood there wondering how they could even get a gig, hardly even resembled music. 

I did see Queen live in Stafford and I was right by the stage, wish I could remember if they even had a support! 

2 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I think I might have been at that gig ?

not sure about the best but I can unequivocally tell you the worst - Sleaford Mods supporting The Specials. I just stood there wondering how they could even get a gig, hardly even resembled music. 

I did see Queen live in Stafford and I was right by the stage, wish I could remember if they even had a support! 

Long time ago in a music venue, etc... were Squeeze also on that bill @Ewe Ram?

Saw The Eagles at Stafford, the support were better, but only because the Eagles were a bit dull. Didn’t really know they were live and not the lp until they did a Chuck Berry number as encore! Can’t actually remember who the support were, lol.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Long time ago in a music venue, etc... were Squeeze also on that bill @Ewe Ram?

Saw The Eagles at Stafford, the support were better, but only because the Eagles were a bit dull. Didn’t really know they were live and not the lp until they did a Chuck Berry number as encore! Can’t actually remember who the support were, lol.

I don’t remember seeing Squeeze. I do recall Heavy Metal Kids, The Stranglers and a group called Budgie who I absolutely loved. I think we used to go to a record shop somewhere to get the Kings Hall gig tickets. 

Some Queen gig footage from New Bingley Hall (1978 I think) is around somewhere as my son found it. He’s a big Queen fan and showed it to me, I’m there at the front. 

17 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I don’t remember seeing Squeeze. I do recall Heavy Metal Kids, The Stranglers and a group called Budgie who I absolutely loved. I think we used to go to a record shop somewhere to get the Kings Hall gig tickets. 

Some Queen gig footage from New Bingley Hall (1978 I think) is around somewhere as my son found it. He’s a big Queen fan and showed it to me, I’m there at the front. 

Wasn’t Heavy Metal Kids the guy from Auf Wiederhesen Pets band?

Not Jimmy Nail.

23 hours ago, maydrakin said:

Most famous support in due time was probably Placebo supporting Whale at the rig in nottm.

Best was either Static-X or Machine Head supporting Fear Factory and Slayer respectively.

Machine Head and Slayer on the same bill?

Great bill but that might be too much.

Saw Carter USM in 92 at the Hummingbird in Brum and they were supported by the Frank & Walters.  They were brilliant, got to be my favourite support band.  Amazing night all round.

I then saw the Franks later that year headlining at Edwards no. 8 - a much smaller place - and they were supported by Radiohead.  Just had a look on wiki and it was a couple of weeks after they released Creep.  Anyway, I thought they were a complete pile of steaming poo.  Hated them with a passion and have done to this day.  Not sure why but they still make me angry!

The other great support was Wolfsbane supporting Maiden the first time I saw Maiden live in October 90 at Derby Assembly Rooms.

Archived