Chris Martin

Waffle

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, clarkeram7 said:

People are deluded to think we'd get anything near what we got 2 years ago after two very average seasons. The problem with Martin is that he only plays well in a particular formation with particular players. He's technically not a good footballer at all, I'd be pleased if we got over a million for him. 

giphy.gif

That £3.5 mill from fee and saved wages could buy a young hungry player and pay them for a couple of years. If they play in the first team it will work out in our favour.

we could also spend it on a few over 30 players like last season but I doubt Gary will make the same mistakes as last year. Fingers crossed!

19 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Why would replace someone that's spent the last 2 seasons on loan? Not really replacing much

Maybe because he hasn't been replaced properly in the last 2 years? 

24 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Why would replace someone that's spent the last 2 seasons on loan? Not really replacing much

Apart from the fact we’ve needed to replace him for those two seasons he’s been out on loan, that’s been part of our problem the last few seasons. Are Jerome and Nugent going to be enough next year? No? Then I’d suggest we do need to replace Martin, and with the half a million and a pack of hobnobs being banded around we’d probably just about get Sam winnals broken knee.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Apart from the fact we’ve needed to replace him for those two seasons he’s been out on loan, that’s been part of our problem the last few seasons. Are Jerome and Nugent going to be enough next year? No? Then I’d suggest we do need to replace Martin, and with the half a million and a pack of hobnobs being banded around we’d probably just about get Sam winnals broken knee.

I'd suggest it's Jerome and nugent that need replacing not Martin. They are the current strikers that haven't managed to score enough to get us promoted. Do butterfield and Blackman need replacing? No, weimann and johnson do as they currently wear the shirt and need improving on. 

Anyone that was on loan haven't affected the team at all this season and just need to go to free up wages. They aren't in GRs plans. Replace those that have played this season.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Replaced in what way as the goals have been replaced with Vydra, Championship top scorer.

We've needed another striker for 4 years. So when Martin left we were still a striker short. 

58 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Not surprised really. 

This football club keeps getting taken to the cleaners with transfer fee’s in and out. Why would it change now. Happened with Hulse too. 

Laughable fee but we’ve made our own bed and need to get unwanted players out the door. 

We haven't accepted it yet

Just now, rynny said:

We've needed another striker for 4 years. So when Martin left we were still a striker short. 

We had Jerome, Nugent and Winnall, that would have been 3 strikers for one position had he not picked up the injury. 

Now you could argue they are not as good as him for multiple pages but Martin has been out on loan now for 2 seasons, surplus to requirements as harsh as that sounds, think we’re past looking for his replacement, we would be looking for an entirely different striker now if Winnall doesn’t return.

In terms of goals, Vydra has replaced him. If you look at Chelsea with Hazard as the top scorer and Liverpool Salah, not always the striker that has to be leading the way in goals. 

39 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I'd suggest it's Jerome and nugent that need replacing not Martin. They are the current strikers that haven't managed to score enough to get us promoted. Do butterfield and Blackman need replacing? No, weimann and johnson do as they currently wear the shirt and need improving on. 

Anyone that was on loan haven't affected the team at all this season and just need to go to free up wages. They aren't in GRs plans. Replace those that have played this season.

In that case then, it doesn’t matter what line of thought you’re going down, we still need a striker, and to get that we need money. Doesn’t matter who he’s a replacement for, we still need to raise money to one. We aren’t going to have enough money to buy one without bringing in money from outgoings, so why the hell sell one of our only players with a bit of value in Martin for a pittance? Just because players didn’t impact the team this year doesn’t mean they can’t be sold for enough money that will influence the team next year. Just getting shot of them to free up wages won’t raise the funds to improve the team.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

so why the hell sell one of our only players with a bit of value in Martin for a pittance?

We haven’t. It’s the first rumour of the summer which wrote itself before the ink had dried on McClaren’s contract, could see it coming a mile off.

There is 1250 topics in this board over 9 years, that’s on average 138. There’s a lot of rumour and speculation in that which didn’t happen. Way too early to get our knickers in a twist over the first red top published fee.

2 hours ago, bcnram said:

Your last paragraph is quite funny. The problem with Martin is that he plays well, scores goals and brings others into the game when players pass to him anywhere below his chin. Unfortunately we have a manager who favours thumping the ball in The Hague direction of the corner for others to chase after. 

Are we after a Dutch striker?

8 minutes ago, David said:

We haven’t. It’s the first rumour of the summer which wrote itself before the ink had dried on McClaren’s contract, could see it coming a mile off.

There is 1250 topics in this board over 9 years, that’s on average 138. There’s a lot of rumour and speculation in that which didn’t happen. Way too early to get our knickers in a twist over the first red top published fee.

It was more of a question based to those who think that the fee quoted would be an acceptable one. It does look very much like and two and two together like story, but I just hope that if it’s true we rebuff them and tell them to at least quadrouple that fee. All I’m saying really is, more generally for this summer, there’s no point selling players to raise funds, if the funds we raise aren’t large enough to buy any players with. Got no problem with selling Martin, I’d actively look to, but it needs to be at his value.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

It was more of a question based to those who think that the fee quoted would be an acceptable one. It does look very much like and two and two together like story, but I just hope that if it’s true we rebuff them and tell them to at least quadrouple that fee. All I’m saying really is, more generally for this summer, there’s no point selling players to raise funds, if the funds we raise aren’t large enough to buy any players with. Got no problem with selling Martin, I’d actively look to, but it needs to be at his value.

Apologies, what with this (below) earlier in the thread didn’t think you was posing questions but taking a swing at Rowett and the club.

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

The more I see the more I worry that Rowett has absolutely no idea of the market... or someone doesn’t certainly it may be higher up. Think this will undermine our future more than tactics and who we decide comes and goes...

5 minutes ago, David said:

Apologies, what with this (below) earlier in the thread didn’t think you was posing questions but taking a swing at Rowett and the club.

Well I’m also questioning the club if these rumours come true. Like I said earlier, we saw last summer with the sale of Hughes that there is an argument to be made that whoever deals with negotiations (ive no idea who, it should be a DOF tho) doesn’t really understand the market, as we certainly didn’t get value for Hughes imo. Maybe that’ll be a one off, I hope it is. But these sort of rumours certainly do concern me, both the 8m for Vydra and 500k for Martin being banded about are far too low, no smoke without fire and all that. No problem with selling either if it’s needed, but I do have a problem if we accept fees below their value, and recent history along with rumours banded about are giving me concerns that we may do.

Maybe these rumours won’t be true, it’s quite plausible they won’t be and all will be fine, I’m not disputing that. But if they are true, then I absolutely question whoever is negotiating deals at the club, because we’re getting ripped off. Like I say, failing in market negotiations will be hugely detrimental to our season, we haven’t got any money and if we don’t negotiate well to raise some, we won’t be able to improve the squad. Simple as, so let’s hope we do negotiate well and this is all a load of ********.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Well I’m also questioning the club if these rumours come true. Like I said earlier, we saw last summer with the sale of Hughes that there is an argument to be made that whoever deals with negotiations (ive no idea who, it should be a DOF tho) doesn’t really understand the market, as we certainly didn’t get value for Hughes imo. Maybe that’ll be a one off, I hope it is. But these sort of rumours certainly do concern me, both the 8m for Vydra and 500k for Martin being banded about are far too low, no smoke without fire and all that. No problem with selling either if it’s needed, but I do have a problem if we accept fees below their value, and recent history along with rumours banded about are giving me concerns that we may do.

Maybe these rumours won’t be true, it’s quite plausible they won’t be and all will be fine, I’m not disputing that. But if they are true, then I absolutely question whoever is negotiating deals at the club, because we’re getting ripped off. Like I say, failing in market negotiations will be hugely detrimental to our season, we haven’t got any money and if we don’t negotiate well to raise some, we won’t be able to improve the squad. Simple as, so let’s hope we do negotiate well and this is all a load of ********.

As much as I agree with you mate there are a few things to take into account

a) this is just a paper rumour and could end up being £2-£3mil

b) Martin is on such high wages that anyone looking  at him will struggle to pay a high fee and match his wages.

c) he's hardly been banging them in the last couple of seasons and is a bit of a niche striker which limits his suitors.

if Gary isn't going to play him then I just hope we get rid asap for the best fee so we can bring in our targets

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

As much as I agree with you mate there are a few things to take into account

a) this is just a paper rumour and could end up being £2-£3mil

b) Martin is on such high wages that anyone looking  at him will struggle to pay a high fee and match his wages.

c) he's hardly been banging them in the last couple of seasons and is a bit of a niche striker which limits his suitors.

if Gary isn't going to play him then I just hope we get rid asap for the best fee so we can bring in our targets

I agree with all those points mate, I just hope we get a higher fee than 500k. We absolutely do need to get rid because he’s not the player he once was, but I still feel he’s got to be worth the 2-3 mil you mention there for his history in the division. Not to mention he still has two years left on his contract and he’s not too old yet. Just think we need to stand our ground and not take the first offer thrown at us, Martin isn’t someone like Blackman who no one would want, just need a couple of teams interested and we can get the price up a bit.

Archived