Winnall

Waffle

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, walkleyowl said:

The myth, we played you the day before Rangers came down for the testimonial, won 2-0, and we were bouncing that day.

We did steal the bounce, but from Rangers not yourselves. It's bizarre that you guys seem to really want to make out we stole it from you though? Why can't you mock us from stealing it from Rangers. 

I remember 13k Rangers fans actually making the stadium shake during their bounce, I can't remember you guys ever doing it at our place. 

I don't know how you lot dare. It's common knowledge among football aficionados that Wednesday invented every single football chant ever.

1939 - The Wednesday fans are serenading their team with a little ditty they liked to call "You'll Never Walk Alone". A young pair of scallywags by the names Rodgers and Hammerstein are sat in the away end furiously scribbling in their notebooks. 6 years later, the boche have finally been bashed when low and behold, the well known Wednesday anthem turns up in the hit musical Carousel. Coincidence? I think not.

1960 - The Wednesdayites turn their backs to the pitch and link arms before bouncing raucously causing much mirth and merriment, but what's this? A few shifty foreign types, Poles from Poznań, are visiting the home of football chants and they like what they see. They went back to the continent, renamed the Wednesday invention to a "Grecque" in order to obfuscate it's true origin and claimed it as their own. The shameless thieves!

1973 - Once again the unmatched lyricists of Hillsborough have outdone themselves, "You fill up my senses....." The opening lines of their magnum opus drift across the kop, but who's this long haired American hippy taking notes? You guessed it, noted thief and charlatan John Denver steals the tune and turns it into the number one hit "Annie's Song". The Wednesday fans are so disgusted by people once again taking advantage of their unmatched creativity that they vow to never sing the song again and allow the actual Sheffield team based in the city center to adopt it as their own.

These are just a few examples, but if you do your research you will find that any chant or action performed inside a football stadium was done first by Sheffield Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

We did steal the bounce, but from Rangers not yourselves. It's bizarre that you guys seem to really want to make out we stole it from you though? Why can't you mock us from stealing it from Rangers. 

I remember 13k Rangers fans actually making the stadium shake during their bounce, I can't remember you guys ever doing it at our place. 

Sorry & all that but the Wednesday fan is right. Although everyone remembers the Rangers fans bouncing because it was so loud & there were so many of them, it’s a different song (bouncy, bouncy) & a different tune altogether.

I remember the owls doing their version the day before the Rangers game, it actually looked quite impressive from where I was in the north stand. It’s probably not remembered by many of our lot. A) because the match was very forgettable & B) because of the Rangers game the following day which stuck more in the memory 

It’s definitely the Wednesday version we adopted though.

59 minutes ago, Roboram said:

Sorry & all that but the Wednesday fan is right. Although everyone remembers the Rangers fans bouncing because it was so loud & there were so many of them, it’s a different song (bouncy, bouncy) & a different tune altogether.

I remember the owls doing their version the day before the Rangers game, it actually looked quite impressive from where I was in the north stand. It’s probably not remembered by many of our lot. A) because the match was very forgettable & B) because of the Rangers game the following day which stuck more in the memory 

Do you wanna be in our gang our gang our gang or not mate?

2 hours ago, Anon said:

I don't know how you lot dare. It's common knowledge among football aficionados that Wednesday invented every single football chant ever.

1939 - The Wednesday fans are serenading their team with a little ditty they liked to call "You'll Never Walk Alone". A young pair of scallywags by the names Rodgers and Hammerstein are sat in the away end furiously scribbling in their notebooks. 6 years later, the boche have finally been bashed when low and behold, the well known Wednesday anthem turns up in the hit musical Carousel. Coincidence? I think not.

1960 - The Wednesdayites turn their backs to the pitch and link arms before bouncing raucously causing much mirth and merriment, but what's this? A few shifty foreign types, Poles from Poznań, are visiting the home of football chants and they like what they see. They went back to the continent, renamed the Wednesday invention to a "Grecque" in order to obfuscate it's true origin and claimed it as their own. The shameless thieves!

1973 - Once again the unmatched lyricists of Hillsborough have outdone themselves, "You fill up my senses....." The opening lines of their magnum opus drift across the kop, but who's this long haired American hippy taking notes? You guessed it, noted thief and charlatan John Denver steals the tune and turns it into the number one hit "Annie's Song". The Wednesday fans are so disgusted by people once again taking advantage of their unmatched creativity that they vow to never sing the song again and allow the actual Sheffield team based in the city center to adopt it as their own.

These are just a few examples, but if you do your research you will find that any chant or action performed inside a football stadium was done first by Sheffield Wednesday.

They once sang 'Steve Bloomer's Watching' at the legend himself after he was sent of vs them back in the day.

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Back to Sam Winall.... of course we shouldn’t sign him...he is injured...why on eRth would anyone ever sign an injured player....? 

I wouldn’t be happy signing Messi if he was out for a year with a bad injury prior to it. 

Said that a few pages ago mate. Beggars belief some people want to sign a crocked player.

1 hour ago, Roboram said:

Nope

7 hours ago, philmycock said:

Nope

Remember West Bromwich doing it before us and Rangers but we adopted our version in 2004ish whilst in League One, we played you at the back of 2006 season the following day you hosted Rangers, we had about 5k there that game.

I never heard rangers do that version, just the bouncy bouncy one.

Don't remember you truly adopting your version til about 2012ish, could have been earlier but we had spent two more seasons in League One, we opened up our season at your place.

I think we need to strengthen in multiple areas. We have a few young players (Lawrence...) and a few prospects who aren't ready for the first team squad (Luke Thomas.) But the squad is ageing. Winnall would be good though. Just not sure about the price because we are set to be running with a tight budget this summer.

2 hours ago, walkleyowl said:

Remember West Bromwich doing it before us and Rangers but we adopted our version in 2004ish whilst in League One, we played you at the back of 2006 season the following day you hosted Rangers, we had about 5k there that game.

I never heard rangers do that version, just the bouncy bouncy one.

Don't remember you truly adopting your version til about 2012ish, could have been earlier but we had spent two more seasons in League One, we opened up our season at your place.

Archived