Proud to be British

Angry Ram

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Charles was (and astonishingly still is) the next in line. This one is quite a long way down the list. I fact, he doesn't even make the short list for the top job.

The thing about having a president like Trump is that you don't have to have him until he dies. And if his son wants the job, he needs to get our approval to do it. I like that. I like democracy.

Comparing the president of the United States to the royal family is irrelevant... and makes you sound a bit crazy....has all the sunshine made you forget about the democratic election we have in England to elect a government....? 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
11 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Charles was (and astonishingly still is) the next in line. This one is quite a long way down the list. I fact, he doesn't even make the short list for the top job.

The thing about having a president like Trump is that you don't have to have him until he dies. And if his son wants the job, he needs to get our approval to do it. I like that. I like democracy.

I actually prefer the system we have here. People who voted for obamacare and gun control didn’t get them. Royal assent is automatic ... if the queen was over ruling the government it would be a different thing.

i didn’t watch the wedding but lots of ladies I know watched it and loved it. If it makes them happy well what’s wrong with that?

Judging from my timelines on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter it was mostly young people and foreign UK residents that were watching and celebrating the wedding. 

I always find it quite heartwarming that the most pro-British people I know are the ones who have chosen our country for various reasons rather than just happening to have been born here. 

I forgot all about it and went shopping - it was lovely and quiet!  

16 minutes ago, maxjam said:

People selling tat on street corners and car parks in Windsor. Are you expecting this to trickle down?

And, of course, I wouldn't expect any analysis from the Express on the motives of people travelling to the UK. What proportion of those actually come to the UK for the royal wedding?

13 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'm not sure that the news agency makes it any more convincing.

What I will note is that the estimate Reuters comes up with is half that the Express comes up with.

It doesn't seem that anybody is overly convinced.

Let's say for the purposes of discussion that it the £500M is right. What part of your local economy has been boosted by this shindig in Berkshire? Perhaps you live in Windsor, I don't know. Windsor strikes me as exactly the kind of place that doesn't need a boost to its economy.

I'm pretty sure Liverpool won't have seen much benefit. In fact, if the claims of popularity or this event are to be believed, all sorts of places will have suffered because people stayed at home in their droves to watch it on TV.

PistoldPete2
On 19 May 2018 at 14:33, Gaspode said:

Wandered in while my Mrs was watching the build-up to the ceremony - BBC were interviewing a black woman and then playing spot the black people in the congregation - I quite expected them to wheel out Ainsley Harriet, Andy Peters and Rustie Lee as the main presenters - guess they were trying to boost their diversity quota in as short a time as possible....

Who is rustie lee? Isn't that name a bit racist? Andi Peters counts double in the bbc quota count as he is black and gay. See also Colin Jackson. Bbc did have Alan Carr doing the wedding coverage on radio 2, with Mel . This is the lady who advertised boddington beer , not the Mel from the bake offs, who would also have scored highly for the bbc quota but she must have been unavailable as must graham norton and the lady with the big chin. 

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'm not sure that the news agency makes it any more convincing.

What I will note is that the estimate Reuters comes up with is half that the Express comes up with.

It doesn't seem that anybody is overly convinced.

Let's say for the purposes of discussion that it the £500M is right. What part of your local economy has been boosted by this shindig in Berkshire? Perhaps you live in Windsor, I don't know. Windsor strikes me as exactly the kind of place that doesn't need a boost to its economy.

I'm pretty sure Liverpool won't have seen much benefit. In fact, if the claims of popularity or this event are to be believed, all sorts of places will have suffered because people stayed at home in their droves to watch it on TV.

Who cares, not everything's about money. 

I'm not a royalist  but the fact that the ceremony was absolutely chock-full of black people had me laughing

Obviously didn't watch it live, but saw the highlights on BBC news - hilarious. The BBC reporters might as well have been Anchorman

Archived