Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

1 minute ago, curtains said:

I would 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

I would 

Soo let me get this straight.... you think it's mels fault that rowett is leaving Derby presumably for more money and to further is career. what is Mel meant to do? 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I personally just don't get these clauses. From the clubs point of view they always come back to haunt. The only time a clause is exercised is when a manager/player is doing well. Devils advocate, maybe GR insisted on the clause knowing that this was a very real possibility. The next appointment is crucial. How many times have we said that. All I want is decent football.

Most managers have those types of clauses now days and I can't blame them. Rarely does a chairman show loyalty to a manager when we're in a bad spell so why should the manager then show loyalty if he's offered more money elsewhere? 

12 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

But he didn't commit to Derby did he? He didn't deny it and ended up there immediately after he was sacked, so let's not pretend that he conducted himself brilliantly towards the end of that season.

3 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I personally just don't get these clauses. From the clubs point of view they always come back to haunt. The only time a clause is exercised is when a manager/player is doing well. Devils advocate, maybe GR insisted on the clause knowing that this was a very real possibility. The next appointment is crucial. How many times have we said that. All I want is decent football.

Not sure it's a clause as such - Any contract can be paid up in this way - People sometimes do it to avoid notice periods for example - This will just have been the pre-defined value of wrapping up his contract

23 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Considering the path we’re likely to head down in regards to cost-cutting and FFP, Mark Warburton is an absolute no-brainer.

He’s unemployed, favours youth, plays decent possession football and has a wide range of contacts in terms of loans.

I’d love to see him come in and see the likes of Bogle and Thomas play more.

Sell Vydra, bring in the likes of Glen Kamara and Maddison from Pboro.

Warburton’s transfer record at Rangers was a bit of a worry, yet selling Josh Windass alone would cover for all his other duffs.

Most importantly though he would need patience. Mel can’t go sacking him if we were lower midtable.

With so many high earners’ contracts expiring in 2019, next season should just be used as one final push for the playoffs (or a transition period) before the big overhaul and rebuild begins.

Warburton for me, or Dean Smith but I doubt we’d spend on compo for a new manager so he’s unrealistic.

If we bring in Mick McCarthy or Alan Pardew then I won’t have any interest in Derby until they’re gone. Dinosaurs.

Didn’t forest move warburton on because he was only signing players from his sisters agency ?

23 minutes ago, SilentRam said:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/05/club-statement-gary-rowett

Key as in the post above me: "Gary Rowett has asked for permission to speak with Stoke City regarding the vacant manager’s position at the bet365 Stadium"

No loyalty payment then!

6 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Ipswich receive over 100 applications and some people on here are saying stuff like, 'who would want to come and manage here with the state we're in?' ?

In fairness to Ipswich most of those were fruit pickers and it’s hot currently 

10 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Fair point we’ll made but I don’t believe he’ll qualify for the auto’s, and I think he will meet with resistance to his footballing philosophy. 

Do Stoke have a footballing philosophy? I thought they had chips shops, smog and funny painted bridges.

2 minutes ago, superrams23 said:

Soo let me get this straight.... you think it's mels fault that rowett is leaving Derby presumably for more money and to further is career. what is Mel meant to do? 

Stop rabbeting on about the Academy and no funds  and FFP

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

im 40,

im seriously starting to ask myself if by the time I retire derby county will have actually had a manger that starts 2 consecutive seasons 

it's a fricking joke I'm sorry 

we want and many expect promotion but go through managers like this.

and then sit there scratching our nuts wandering why we're a very ordinary championship club in the same once great category aa so many. 

Joke... from the top down 

Think this would be different if he was sacked. By all indications Rowett was going to start next season here. 

Think it's a bit daft to call the club a joke when Rowett seems to want out. He's been given a new contract (costing us as much as we spent on Jerome each year) and Mel has given him all the backing he can. Short of giving him an even bigger contract and stupid money, which would probably have come back to haunt us, there's nothing Mel can do. 

Derby County Football Club can confirm that Gary Rowett has asked for permission to speak with Stoke City regarding the vacant manager’s position at the bet365 Stadium.

The club is now in discussion with Stoke regarding the matter and will update our supporters in due course.

if rowett wants to go to stoke good luck to him. Hopefully stoke will do a Sunderland.

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Do Stoke have a footballing philosophy? I thought they had chips shops, smog and funny painted bridges.

When I think of stoke I always think of being in the correct lane for the M6 - it’s just a junction

well at least we know that those fixtures will be moved from a proper Saturday afternoon kick off now

Looking at his comments when he signed his new deal,

Rowett stated: “I am thrilled to extend my contract with this great club through to 2021 and I have thoroughly enjoyed being back at Derby County. 

“I would like to thank my immediate staff and back-office teams who have been a massive factor in our progress to date, and will be a critical part of our success moving forward. 

“The first-team squad have also been superb to work with and have really embraced the changes we felt were necessary for success; they are a joy to work with. 

“I would also like to thank our Chairman, Mel Morris, for the support and guidance he has provided in so many areas of the club. 

“We have a great relationship which is critical, particularly when so many things needed rapid change. I am looking forward to the future and helping to guide Derby County back to the Premier League, where it belongs.”

We were also apparently his dream job, the job he always wanted. He's a mercenary who's gone for money. Simple as that. He's stitched us all up as we all believed his lies. 

Birmimgham fans warned us he'd do this.

4 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Think this would be different if he was sacked. By all indications Rowett was going to start next season here. 

Think it's a bit daft to call the club a joke when Rowett seems to want out. He's been given a new contract (costing us as much as we spent on Jerome each year) and Mel has given him all the backing he can. Short of giving him an even bigger contract and stupid money, which would probably have come back to haunt us, there's nothing Mel can do. 

Our chairman has actually done well in this situation 

Archived