Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Nah, all it takes is the right manager and a hungry team. We've had millions chucked at the squad to try and get promotion and it hasn't worked. During that period Norwich, Hull, Burnley and Huddersfield all went up while nearly breaking even for transfer fees the year of their promotion. For all the talk of Rowett working on a tight budget and having to cost cut, he still had an expensive squad full of experience and winners that crumbled once we got to 2nd

His most used team:

Carson (100k?)

Wisdom (2 mil) Keogh (1 mil) Davies (500k) Forsyth (150k)

Huddlestone (2 mil) Johnson (7 mil)

Weimann (3.5 mil) Vydra (8 mil) Lawrence (5 mil)

Nugent (2.5 mil)

So he still had a first 11 that cost around 32 million and it didn't work out. Maybe it'll do us good to sign some lower league players and some players from Scotland, add to that a manager wanting to prove himself and it might just work

Don’t worry next seasons team will resemble a team picked out of a lucky bag 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

Do we go proper old school and go for a Jim Smith style of plenty of links: Curbishley, Burley or McCarthy. 

That for me

McCarthy - Yes his Ipswich team have been bad - But his Wolves and Sunderland teams were pretty handy and played some decent football at this level - Plus he knows how to get the best out of almost all kinds of players

Coleman - Fresh from a disappointing spell at Sunderland but he showed tactical know-how against us and tore us to pieces playing good football with a limited amount of talent - Plus his Wales team played some nice football even thought they only really had a couple of genuinely brilliant players

If he leaves good luck to him...mercenary.Moving on then for me its Paul Cook, or for experience maybe Slaven Bilic ? He'll be working as a pundit for the ITV in Russia... so might be ready fora challenge ?

Just now, curtains said:

Stoke and QPR might be in for a few Derby players now. 

Good. We need to drop the wage bill massively, so if they want to make our life easier and sign them now rather than having to wait until contracts end for them to leave then that's a huge bonus for us

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Good. We need to drop the wage bill massively, so if they want to make our life easier and sign them now rather than having to wait until contracts end for them to leave then that's a huge bonus for us

Could see Lawrence and Vydra to Stoke. 

Martin to QPR

No-ones bigger than the club, if he goes hopefully we get some decent compensation.

The thing I don't like is the constant merry go round of managers. We need some stability at some point.

Dont like any of the managers who are available and that's why they are available, not good enough.

The lower league managers smith, cook, etc look the best option, but FFS give whoever it is some time, that goes for Mel as well as the fans!

Just now, curtains said:

Could see Lawrence and Vydra to Stoke. 

Again, good. Vydra has 2 years left on his contract and is probably at his highest market value of any point in his career. We could keep him and lose him for much less next season, or offer him a wage increase, which again raises the wage bill and hope that he can do as well as he did this season, which is a big ask. As for Lawrence, he's a good player but if Stoke offered more than we paid I'd happily sell him. 6 goals and 7 assists is a decent return, but it took him 5 or 6 months to start looking like a good player and even then he'd have way too many off days

3 hours ago, archied said:

Good god ,, and so it begins ,, Chris ******* Martin ,,, when did he become everything derby county? When did he become more than derby county , when did he become the fulcrum to hire and fire managers on ? 

If rowett is gone I hope to hell that Morris’s sells or gives away Chris Martin and Craig Bryson before he appoints the new Manager just so he can come in with a clean slate and just get on with the job of building a new derby team to move us on ,,, please please please mel ,get those two gone before before appointing anybody and give the poor bloke half a chance

Take a chill pill mate, what a totally OTT reaction. Merely making the point that CM might have a future under a new Manager, which I would be pleased about as I still rate him, who said anything about CM determining who we should appoint. Calm down, take  a deep breath and read my post again.......

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Wasn’t that supposedly what Shackell, Baird, Warnock, Carson and BJ were supposed to be for in 15/16?

They were supposed to add that but pretty much every one was signed primarily for other reasons. Shackell was the Bucko replacement, Baird was the Eustace replacement, Warnock was because we only had 1 LB at the club, Carson was because we only had Grant for GK (who had dropped loads of ******** and Mitchell was too young) and Johnson was a panic buy once Hughes and Bryson were ruled out for most of the season. 

Bar Carson, none of those have been as successful as the experience we brought in this season. Davies and Huddlestone have been immense for us, Ledley was a vital part of our crazy run earlier in the season and although Jerome was awful in his early games, he came up massive at the end of the season to push us into the playoffs.

It's funny how people berate Rowett for his transfers on this board when actually his signings have been pretty good. It's the dregs from previous regimes that have been causing the problems and stand out as the weak links.

Archived