Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

If I was being honest, I'd say GR is probably better suited to Stoke than Derby and I would wish him well as I ushered him into his car.

I would love to see Paul Simpson appointed Head Coach, with Robbie V d Laan and a decent Head of Recruitment brought in. I just think Simmo and Robbie V d Laan would do a great job. I have seen Robbie coach personally and he is very inspirational and very knowledgeable {He was until recently an oversees coach for Man Utd} as well as having great authority and gravitas. I would give them 3 seasons to build the next generation around the current spine. Fortune favours the brave....?    

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Two things

1) took my grandad to the golden rams lunch thing a couple of days after the Cardiff game. Morris said then that the play offs had been the aim. But if that is the only aim, and not promotion, then I’d rather we finish 7th and I can save my money

2) we have a squad full of players who have won promotions at other clubs or have played at the top level. As fans, we wanted to lower expectation after a few seasons of nearly stuff, but the club didn’t or else why sign Davies, Huddlestone, Ledley, Jerome?

Because for the past few seasons one of the biggest reasons of us missing out of promotion was our supposed 'lack of experience' which led to us collapsing on a few occasions. We nearly did the same this season but we steadied the ship, something previous squads have failed to do. I also thought the idea was to bring in experience then use that experience to help the youth players seeing as we've known our budget constraints for a while now.

On a side note Ledley was a panic signing due to the Kieftenbeld fiasco so I'm not sure he's in the same group as those players. He's done well for us but he clearly wasn't Rowett's choice during the transfer window, it was just fortunate that he was out of contract at a time we desperately needed a CM.

2 hours ago, curtains said:

I think you are the most consistent Rowett hater on here. 

You have done loads of damage. 

I admire the fact you think one poster on an internet forum can have so much sway over what happens at a football club. 

I would add his handling of Kasey Palmer was also very bizarre. The player himself tweeted that he wished he had played more often. Not really sending the best message to the younger players in the Premiership who may want to join Derby on loan. Again I realise it is easy to call him out but if we had lost that Cardiff game I guarantee most fans would want him fired. We got a little bit lucky and now we may get paid money to change a manager who is boring and limited. I am somewhat surprised Stoke want his so badly then again like others have posted, watching Derby this year was like most Stoke games over the past decade particularly under Pulis. 

Just now, SilentRam said:

I would add his handling of Kasey Palmer was also very bizarre. The player himself tweeted that he wished he had played more often. Not really sending the best message to the younger players in the Premiership who may want to join Derby on loan. Again I realise it is easy to call him out but if we had lost that Cardiff game I guarantee most fans would want him fired. We got a little bit lucky and now we may get paid money to change a manager who is boring and limited. I am somewhat surprised Stoke want his so badly then again like others have posted, watching Derby this year was like most Stoke games over the past decade particularly under Pulis. 

Ademola Lookman obviously has a wise head on his shoulders

7 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

At least Gary's trainers might look more fashionable in Stoke. 

We've not had much chance to look at his trainers to be honest. It's difficult when our necks are all cranked looking up at the sky waiting for the ball to come back down

There goes continuity then. How can people back this chairman if Gary decides to leave? Too many mistakes Mel has made. Given him the benefit of the doubt on many of his errors but this is pushing it for me. 

I hope Gary will stay. Deep down he’ll be gone.

14 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Two things

1) took my grandad to the golden rams lunch thing a couple of days after the Cardiff game. Morris said then that the play offs had been the aim. But if that is the only aim, and not promotion, then I’d rather we finish 7th and I can save my money

2) we have a squad full of players who have won promotions at other clubs or have played at the top level. As fans, we wanted to lower expectation after a few seasons of nearly stuff, but the club didn’t or else why sign Davies, Huddlestone, Ledley, Jerome?

Think the first 3 were solid signings and the last came good towards the end

The major problem we've had is trying to build a team round Huddlestone's passing and vision - Which NONE of our forwards are good enough to understand! He's a class above everyone else - The number of times he seems to have to delay his pass once or twice because no-one has realised where they should be is amazing - If you play a 'quarterback' style player you need a decent running back alongside and some really good wide receivers

13 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

How much compensation would Stoke have to shell out to get him? 

£2.25m is the rumour

7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

If I was being honest, I'd say GR is probably better suited to Stoke than Derby and I would wish him well as I ushered him into his car.

I would love to see Paul Simpson appointed Head Coach, with Robbie V d Laan and a decent Head of Recruitment brought in. I just think Simmo and Robbie V d Laan would do a great job. I have seen Robbie coach personally and he is very inspirational and very knowledgeable {He was until recently an oversees coach for Man Utd} as well as having great authority and gravitas. I would give them 3 seasons to build the next generation around the current spine. Fortune favours the brave....?    

Yeh - I'd probably do a little sex-wee if that happened - Two of my favourite players from watching as a kid and Simpson certainly has more attacking tendencies as a coach than Gary does

7 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I admire the fact you think one poster on an internet forum can have so much sway over what happens at a football club. 

I wouldn't be so sure. Morris certainly acts like he's reading from the Curtains playbook at times.

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

We've not had much chance to look at his trainers to be honest. It's difficult when our necks are all cranked looking up at the sky waiting for the ball to come back down

You must not believe your luck though right?

Not only get rid of the muppet but get paid for it? Portsmouth/us/Cotterill springs to mind.

10 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Because for the past few seasons one of the biggest reasons of us missing out of promotion was our supposed 'lack of experience' which led to us collapsing on a few occasions. 

Wasn’t that supposedly what Shackell, Baird, Warnock, Carson and BJ were supposed to be for in 15/16?

3 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

There goes continuity then. How can people back this chairman if Gary decides to leave? Too many mistakes Mel has made. Given him the benefit of the doubt on many of his errors but this is pushing it for me. 

I hope Gary will stay. Deep down he’ll be gone.

Because it's mels fault if rowett decides to leave 

1 minute ago, TommyPowel said:

whats the point in keeping either a player or a manager who wants away.Its the total lack of loyalty from Rowett that bugs me

He hasn’t done anything yet. We haven’t a clue what’s actually happened. Probably nothing. So why has he got to defend himself from nothing?

8 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

You must not believe your luck though right?

Not only get rid of the muppet but get paid for it? Portsmouth/us/Cotterill springs to mind.

Fans are split but I'm personally quite happy with it. The main worry is who do we bring in to replace him? There's some depressing names out there looking for work like McCarthy, Pardew, Lambert etc. And if we did go for someone who would get us back to playing decent football like Warbuton or Dean Smith (doubt he'll be on high wages with Brentford's wage structure so we could tempt him potentially) then they'd come in with a squad set up for direct counter attacking football whilst having to trim wages, but also sign players who'd suit their system

Archived