Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

9 minutes ago, Moist One said:

sadly had to take drastic measures and place a certain poster on ignore.

As far as Rowett is concerned, I reiterate my point, if he leaves... "meh". If he stays... I want him to improve, be more positive and play to win at ALL times. I don't particularly want him to stay or leave. IN terms of stability, not sure it counts. I'd rather have progress.

I am inclined to agree with this line of thought. One cannot fault a person for changing jobs in any other mode of career, and despite the fact that we need stability one can’t fault Gary if he decides to go for Stoke. 

If he had been sacked because of loosing the play off semi-final then that would have been cause for concern on the part of our board, however if he chooses to leave then it his choice and his alone. All managers face challenges from the fans at every club, there will always be a disparity in opinion between fans about what kind of football a team should play. The prime recent example is Sam at Everton, they were the deadest and most buried team in the league after the packed December fixture list, and despite helping them to a healthy finish he has been forced to leave by a small yet largely vocal section of the fans turning the opinion of the owners. It is often the case that the smallest group can be the most vocal, and the larger but more passive section of the fan base goes unheard.

With this in mind it is important to remember that we don’t know the opinion of the full 27-30 thousand people who go each week, and we don’t know the opinion of the supporters who are not lucky enough to attend each match! 

If he goes to Stoke he will be leaving to a larger transfer budget and outstandingly loyal owners, and he will be doing it to try and break in to the top flight of English football management, and at the end of the day who can blame a person for trying to achieve their maximal potential! 

Im not making an argument for or against him leaving, it’s nothing more than an impartial overview of the situation. 

As for who we would replace him with, I wouldn’t know where to start! 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Statistically, it is perfectly fine.

National surveys usually have n = 1000-2000 depending on the size of the country. So way, way less than 1%.

But like @LB_DCFC rightfully pointed out, some people are happy to have him in charge even though they think his football is boring. And that's much more interesting question anyway, we should drop the quantitative approach and find out why!

I think it’s largely down to my own personal mindset. I recognise that he has been dealt a poor hand in terms of transfers and a squad built up over many managers that, although had quality within it, no real sense of direction (whether it has that now is another debate). There hasn’t been one signing that I would consider to be a failure, in fact I think all have contributed quite significantly over the season in many ways, there has been progression in terms of league position in comparison to the previous season which is the most important thing for any football club and performances like Cardiff give me hope that overall entertainment will improve as time passes, however I’m always of the mindset that it’s result first and performance second

35 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Some on here are delusional ( and i mean people like you)

What is more telling as a measure of success for the club , a drop in numbers going to games or a few fans posting criticisms of the manager ? In the late Clough years, GSE had increasing attendance  as one of their key measures of success.

We are not alone. Fans of many well publicised clubs are complaining about style of play. Why have managers like Allardyce and Moyes found themselves sacked last week ? Fans I  sit with don't do message boards, and like me they go back to the B Clough days. The view about our boring our style of play is shared by all of us. We don't boo players or manager, we turn up to all home games but we are a bot fed up. Rowett is not being hounded by us, we are just ordinary fans.That the poll on here is giving the same indication  about style of play suggests to me it is reflecting what many fans think - though we don't know exactly what the proportion of the whole is. 

Rowett has earnt the chance to continue as manager by virtue of us getting to the play-offs, but examination of the stats of our play in those games makes frightening reading since it offers no basis for future success.  Possession, shots on target and the shear incompetence of our technical play in the second game don't give hope for the future.

The argument for stability at all costs is unintelligent. true there have been many managerial changes but there is no point in keeping a manager for stability's sake if they are not delivering what is needed. 

This to me is one of the best posts I've read regarding GR....very well said 

I get the idea that we need stability and sacking managers is no way to get stability, but it has to be the right manager. Not many people were calling for stability when Pearson steered us down the table. Even less when Wassall got us into a playoff position.

Sticking with the wrong man is worse than sacking managers. Best to get the right man in and stick with him.

46 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Finished 9th in 2016/2017

Rowett comes in and has to sell our 2 best players and has a defecit of minus £10 million. 

Yet gets us in the top 6.

Not really sure what our fans want or expect. 

You are absolutely correct and that will continue I suspect but from my own selfish point of view I would like to see a more enjoyable game to watch from a Derby perspective ( yes I like good defending as well as scoring goals) the reality of where we are was shown in the play offs - we would have played a left back ( Ollson who can’t defend very well) at left wing back given the choice but we ended up with our wide players being wieman and Anya both of whom were at least 4th or 5th choice not so long ago because whilst they try they are just not very good especially when it matters 

IF (and its a massive if) he does leave for Stoke, cant see much out there in terms of potential replacements available...

Slaven Bilic woul;d be a great coup otherwise we could go the Klopp / Dortmund / Wagner route with someone like Hannes Wolf!

Everyone’s got their wish list of potential replacements for Rowett, but can you really see any of them viewing Derby as an attractive prospect?

Aging, limited squad.

Cant spend money this summer.

The likes of Vydra and other assets likely to leave.

Owner has said we must reduce the wage bill.

Fan base with huge expectations who are quick to criticise.

Clubs recent history with keeping managers past one full season.

This speaks to me as a list as to why Rowett would want to leave for Stoke, so imagine trying to tempt a half-decent manager to replace him using the same list!

43 minutes ago, DCFCMANIFOLD said:

As for who we would replace him with, I wouldn’t know where to start! 

That's the problem. I don't think we expected to have to replace the boss this summer as well as have a clear out of players. It means we have to start from scratch with all of our planning which will give us less time to implement whatever the new man wants. Not ideal, but better than it happening in the middle of the season I guess.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Same. No point in being blinkered about the manager he is. Just hope the team gets better at doing it. Outside of top teams, successful beautiful football isn't a routine occurrence.

Boring football isn't the same as bad football. A 4-4 draw in the conference might be entertaining, but probably not as good a standard of football as one of our "boring" three nil wins.

FTFY 

29 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I get the idea that we need stability and sacking managers is no way to get stability, but it has to be the right manager. Not many people were calling for stability when Pearson steered us down the table. Even less when Wassall got us into a playoff position.

Sticking with the wrong man is worse than sacking managers. Best to get the right man in and stick with him.

Rowett hasn’t taken us down the table and looking at League one over our shoulders though, in fact we finished higher than we did last season and was 45 minutes away from Wembley regardless of how you view the performance in the play offs. 

Also Wassall was in temporary charge until the end of the season, if I recall correctly fans were calling for stability then, just under the guidance of Nigel Pearson, for a few weeks at least. 

Then we had calls for him to leave so it’s not a case of stability for stability sake regardless of who it is, clearly Pearson was the wrong man. 

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

That's the problem. I don't think we expected to have to replace the boss this summer as well as have a clear out of players. It means we have to start from scratch with all of our planning which will give us less time to implement whatever the new man wants. Not ideal, but better than it happening in the middle of the season I guess.

Absolutely, in every instance I would rather this is resolved before the transfer window is open which will give us the best possible chance for new ideas to sink in with current and new players. To me there is simply no stand out candidate, and with the money we are alleged to have (or not have as the case may be), we may struggle to attract an expansive attack minded manager as they will want expansive attack minded player (which cost money). We will end up with Mick McCarthy battling it out every week for the point, and nobody wants that ...

Archived