Will be on BBC news channel at 1220

Mafiabob

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I also have queried that in the past. FIFA has become huge in recent years and FUT is the driving force of that success. People make hundreds of thousands documenting their games on YouTube & there are even professional gamers now. It's alien to me, if I'm being honest. 

EA have made a very dangerous concept with their payment for packs. I am in no doubt that some kids will steal their parents details to buy, plus anyone that plays it knows that most of the time the packs are crap and a massive waste of money. It just feeds the urge to buy more, unfortunately, unlike gambling on Football to win money back, you're investing in something that becomes redundant in 12 months time as a new game comes out and it doesn't carry over. 

FWIW, I think most of the major bookmakers are doing an excellent job on their 'when the fun stops. stop.' campaign. I have no doubt it's largely due to the great work the likes of @Mafiabob and others have done to raise awareness and increase pressure. 

FUT is a really dangerous and addictive game mode. I don’t do so anymore because I’ve stopped playing Fifa but years ago, I used to spend hundreds upon hundreds which at times led into the thousands  paying to purchase packs each year. The pack weight was and still is by all accounts really bad too which encouraged me to spend more for that one chance of getting a good player, which would then lead me onto spending more because I was on a “roll.” Luckily, I could afford it and it wasn’t affecting my budget *too much* but I realise now how dangerous it was for a game that wasn’t enjoyable to play. EA have appeared on BBC watchdog many times over the years but nothing seems to have improved. 

The stealing parents’ cards point is sadly already becoming a problem, with many parents unaware that their children are spending so much on additional game content(not just Fifa). It’s really sad because kids are naive, and might not understand that their parents worked and would need to continue working their bum’s off to earn that money. Fifa really should be an 18 rated game as a result of the packs on FUT, but that would never happen because EA would lose too much money.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

This is a topical news item today... Bet365 founder Denise Coates announced as UK's highest earning boss... pocketing £265m last year alone.  That tops the £217m she earned the year before.

It makes Mel's £450m fortune sound piddly.

My prediction: Betting companies are about to take over the popular press 'villain' role from the pay day lenders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46289499

For anyone to earn that sort of annual reward is obscene but to counter it - they own Stoke City. Think I'm happier on my pension and supporting Derby.

Thanks for the comments guys..... I was a bit miffed to be fair, I was desperate to speak more but kept getting cut off, whilst I have every sympathy with Liz/GambleWithLives..... the way just attack attack attack the industry is wrong in my view. A lot of the industry are changing, and I engage a lot with them, what’s so upsetting for me is I’m like the devil to a lot of campaigners because I’ll try and work with them. Only have to go on Twitter and see some of the rubbish I have to put up with from campaigners and anonymous accounts. They pile on and tag each other in, they despise what I do, all because I do one thing.... take responsibility 

Archived