World Cup Squad

Andicis

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I've always wondered about the coach effect.

Is an International manager's job really just to find a system that allows the players to play how they're trained to at their club, where they have done so day in day out under (probably) better coaches?

Is an International Manager who's determined to make the players play his way just at risk of rocking each of their individual boats and unlikely to succeed? 

The most successful international teams generally have a core bunch of players who have played and been coached a certain way at their respective league clubs.

Was it any coincidence that Spain's 08-12 treble winners were mostly players based from Barca? You had Xavi, Puyol, Iniesta, Pique, Pedro and David Villa. Players like Alba, David Silva, Sergio Ramos, Casillas were ingrained in the Spanish way too.

Germany's 2014 success had plenty of players at Bayern, coached by Heynckes for years and later Pep. Also a smattering of Klopp players like Hummels and Gotze.

I think one of England's biggest default in the past has been the difference in styles in the PL. Players based at Chelsea and United (the best two between 2004-2014) had distinct different playing styles. 

An international manager, IMO, is only a motivator and as you say a guy who finds a system best suited to his players. Some are lucky, like Spain and Germany, where the playing style is already set due to domestic coaches. 

When you look back at Capello, he really had no chance of succeeding. But now, we have a core of Spurs, Liverpool and City players - Walker, Dier, Delph, Henderson, Arnold-Alex, Stones, Sterling, Kane, Alli, Trippier etc - who share similar values in playing style. There should be no excuses, we should be pressing the opposition like mad and we should be among the fittest teams at the World Cup.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

The most successful international teams generally have a core bunch of players who have played and been coached a certain way at their respective league clubs.

Was it any coincidence that Spain's 08-12 treble winners were mostly players based from Barca? You had Xavi, Puyol, Iniesta, Pique, Pedro and David Villa. Players like Alba, David Silva, Sergio Ramos, Casillas were ingrained in the Spanish way too.

Germany's 2014 success had plenty of players at Bayern, coached by Heynckes for years and later Pep. Also a smattering of Klopp players like Hummels and Gotze.

I think one of England's biggest default in the past has been the difference in styles in the PL. Players based at Chelsea and United (the best two between 2004-2014) had distinct different playing styles. 

An international manager, IMO, is only a motivator and as you say a guy who finds a system best suited to his players. Some are lucky, like Spain and Germany, where the playing style is already set due to domestic coaches. 

When you look back at Capello, he really had no chance of succeeding. But now, we have a core of Spurs, Liverpool and City players - Walker, Dier, Delph, Henderson, Arnold-Alex, Stones, Sterling, Kane, Alli, Trippier etc - who share similar values in playing style. There should be no excuses, we should be pressing the opposition like mad and we should be among the fittest teams at the World Cup.

I agree.

As long as Southgate doesn't try and do too much. 

56 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

What a totally uninspiring midfield, without much in the way of flair or imagination. Lucky to make the quarters.

It depends.

It may appearing uninspiring but it may just be inspired! 

No deep creator but wing-backs and wide-centre-halves bombing forward with the deep midfielder dropping in. Proper #10s in the pockets instead of linkers.

Hard to stop if it works.

Think it's a fair enough squad with the exception of the amount of full-backs we're taking.

Nothing against Alexander Arnold but do we really need him as our wildcard pick when we've already also got Walker, Trippier and Young who are ahead of him in his natural position, plus the likes of Jones and Delph who could do the job at right back in a back 4 at a push?

Also surprised Lallana hasn't been given the chance to prove his fitness ahead of the final cut-off for submitting the squad.

Other than that it's about all we could expect for the way Southgate is going to set us up.

England have gone into major tournaments before with good strikers and solid defenders but the midfield has never gelled. A fit and on-form Wilshire could have made a difference but that's not to be, maybe Loftus-Cheek might turn out to be one of the surprise packages.

I like the England squad more than all the recent ones. Very few serial loser celebrities with their cliques and wags. No terry, cole, gerrard, lampard, beckham, rooney etc. Centre-mid is a bit weak, but we can give most teams a decent match if Kane, Alli and Sterling are on form. Getting to quarter finals would be our best performance for years and this team can bring the losing qf cup home.

19 hours ago, Andicis said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Pope have the highest number of clean sheets of any English keeper in the Premier League, and also the highest percentage of saves? Also, he certainly is not second choice for Burnley.

He is out of the team when Heaton is fit. making him 2nd choice,

if he has the highest number of clean sheets, then maybe thats a good reason to take him, but i dont think its hard to be the highest on the list of english keepers given only butland, foster play for bottom 3 sides, and everton finished lower than burnley.

11 hours ago, Squid said:

chelseas obsession with player farming, as much for profit making as improving their first team, means you are always gonna get the likes of salah and de bruyne slipping through the net.

In most team sports, particularly in American sports, man city and chelseas player farming wouldnt be allowed.

18 hours ago, Topram said:

Can’t believe James Tarkowski didn’t get in

Played rubbish the last 5/6 games with Ben Mee out injured. Had to move to left side because Kevin Long cannot use his left foot.

Keane is also only half the player without Mee to cover him and do his dirty work.

I'd love to see a defence with Godin and Mee as the two CHs.

I'm optimistic (for once) with this squad, the group we're in and the draw.

Lots of youth and pace - with luck Southgate will have the bottle to go with youth who can build some confidence in the 1st 2 games against Panama and Tunisia.

Hopefully we're home and hosed before we get a good tough workout against Belgium. Last 16 draw looks favourable and then we can crash out in gallant failure to either Germany or Brazil in the quarters.

itll be particularly sweet if neither of Cahill, Jones or Welbeck get game time mainly cos the youngsters have done so well.

8 hours ago, jagerbob said:

He is out of the team when Heaton is fit. making him 2nd choice,

if he has the highest number of clean sheets, then maybe thats a good reason to take him, but i dont think its hard to be the highest on the list of english keepers given only butland, foster play for bottom 3 sides, and everton finished lower than burnley.

Pretty sure Heaton has been fit since late February/early March. Pope kept him out with his and Burnley's good general defensive performances.

Pope absolutely deserves his place.

• 3 weeks later...

Danny Rose has asked his family not to travel because he doesn't want to "worry for his family's safety" while he's out there.

"My dad's really upset. I could hear it in his voice. He said he may never get a chance again to come and watch me in a World Cup."

That's a really unfortunate state of affairs ? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44385630

6 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Danny Rose has asked his family not to travel because he doesn't want to "worry for his family's safety" while he's out there.

That's a really unfortunate state of affairs ? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44385630

Id like to see them walk off the pitch & any other nation with black players being abused walk off. They wont throw every team out & maybe FIFA etc will actually take notice. Its 2018 not the early 80s.

It shouldn't happen at all but ffs you’d like to think the world & football would be well past this now

Sith Happens

Everyone knows racist abuse will happen in Russia,  at least we can all be consoled with the thoughts of all those football federation officials who voted for Russia sat at home comforted by their big fat brown envelopes.  Thing is you know the the Russian media will be all over a couple of English fans pissed up to detract from themselves. 

Archived