• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to do our teams surely??

Pickford

Walker   McGuire   Stones

A.Arnold   L.Cheek   Henderson   Delph

Sterling   Kane   Rashford

Tell you what there's about £350m worth of talent in that front 3. Looks pretty good on paper!

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Calvert-Lewin is not very good.

Neither's Danny Welbeck, might as well blood the younger lads in and give them a shot. Gray, Abraham, Wilson.. anyone but a tried and failed option like Welbeck. Solanke and Calvert-Lewin were red hot in the U20 WC.

5 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Neither's Danny Welbeck, might as well blood the younger lads in and give them a shot. Gray, Abraham, Wilson.. anyone but a tried and failed option like Welbeck. Solanke and Calvert-Lewin were red hot in the U20 WC.

There's really no point in blooding Calvert-Lewin. He'll be down in the Championship before long.

I imagine his team will look something like this

Pickford

Walker     Stones     Maguire

Trippier        Henderson          Rose

Lingard                Alli

Kane      Sterling

2 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Bottled it IMO.

Not only would i have shelvey on the plane, he would be in my starting XI.

Pope in as a second choice keeper for a premiership club when you have ruddy, carson johnstone which are all better and more experienced.

Cahill is way past his best and doesnt like the ball, and we are playijng a back 3 right?

Dunk + others are much better options.

Wellback? seriously?

Roll on 2 - 4 years when Sessignon, Sancho and Lookman will all be shoe-ins.

Shame its come to soon for them, and Southgate who is insistant on premiership experience, even when its bad experience. 

Yeah why take the highest finishing English goalkeeper this season? The English goalkeeper with the most clean sheets from a league heavily populated with English goalkeepers in the division above us? 

Some people's lack of knowledge beyond their own team is incredible at times. 

I get the Shelvey thing but... Players playing ahead of Shelvey: Henderson - captained his side to a CL place and the CL final. Dier - finished 3rd in the prem. Loftus-Cheek - Closest player to the Ox in terms of turning with the ball and driving at the defence.

Agreed he should be considered for his passing ability but look at the fairly in depth analysis done on him on MOTD, he just cannot concentrate long enough to track back and cover his defence. 

On Dunk, have you seen him more than 2/3 times this season? (Full matches not 2 minutes here and there at the end of MOTD) because Southgate has to do literally only that when it isn't an international break. Cahill plays in a back 3 for Chelsea with Christiansen (inexperienced) and Luiz (potential liability) so has had excellent preparation for playing with the other CBs in the squad as opposed to Dunk who plays in a back 4 for his club. I'm not saying Dunk shouldn't have gone/not saying Cahill should have but there's so much more to it than 'Southgate has bottled it'. 

Jesus Southgate has picked the most progressive squad for a tournament of any manager in my life time in terms of players suiting a system rather than big guns and still gets hammered. He's blended youth with some experience because you need know how in tournament football. Game management is crucial. Sancho, Lookman, Sessegnon etc will all have plenty of years playing for England. We'll never as a nation be happy with any manager. Criticised before we've even finished the pre-world cup friendlies... 

3 hours ago, cannable said:

I never understanding using The World Cup as an opportunity to ‘build for the future’. It’s about the here and now. Many of those players may not be anywhere near it in four years time. 

Especially if the ‘98-‘00 age groups are as special as people believe. 

Utterly agree, you have to be opportunistic. Can you imagine Brazil entering a World Cup with that mentality?

And what if you get a great core together for 2022 and then you lose your best 2 to injury just before the tournament, or this just have an off day.

I think this could be one of the most exciting tournaments for England in a long time. With the likes of Pep, Klopp and Pochettino regularly coaching a good chunk of our team I'm hopeful that will have a big impact. 

Quarter-finals and a decent playing style would be big progress.

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think this could be one of the most exciting tournaments for England in a long time. With the likes of Pep, Klopp and Pochettino regularly coaching a good chunk of our team I'm hopeful that will have a big impact. 

Quarter-finals and a decent playing style would be big progress.

I've always wondered about the coach effect.

Is an International manager's job really just to find a system that allows the players to play how they're trained to at their club, where they have done so day in day out under (probably) better coaches?

Is an International Manager who's determined to make the players play his way just at risk of rocking each of their individual boats and unlikely to succeed? 

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

What a totally uninspiring midfield, without much in the way of flair or imagination. Lucky to make the quarters.

I think that'll be countered by hardly having any of them on the field at one time. 

Archived