World Cup Squad

Andicis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By position....

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Kyle Walker, John Stones (Manchester City), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jones, Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Dele Alli (both Tottenham Hotspur), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards: Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal) Harry Kane (Tottenham)

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

For the low quality graphic, I just ripped off the BBC, but in my opinion we don't have enough midfielders. 

If we go for 3 at the back, then some of those listed as Defenders effectively become midfielders.  I am thinking of Ashley Young and Kieran Trippier for example as wing-backs.

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

If we go for 3 at the back, then some of those listed as Defenders effectively become midfielders.  I am thinking of Ashley Young and Kieran Trippier for example as wing-backs.

Good point, I didn't think about it in that way, but that would certainly solve my concern of lack of midfield players. I have to say, I'd like to see us start with Trent Alexander-Arnold at RWB.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Good point, I didn't think about it in that way, but that would certainly solve my concern of lack of midfield players. I have to say, I'd like to see us start with Trent Alexander-Arnold at RWB.

I think the balance of the squad, as you point out, does suggest we'll play that way.

A lot of the squad picks itself but Welbeck is a poor selection. Be good to see more "surprising" call ups from time to time, especially as the squad isn't particularly strong and there's young players about who a lot of people think could do the job. Would probably improve people's general opinion of the England setup would be a little refreshed too. 

I never understanding using The World Cup as an opportunity to ‘build for the future’. It’s about the here and now. Many of those players may not be anywhere near it in four years time. 

Especially if the ‘98-‘00 age groups are as special as people believe. 

Bottled it IMO.

Not only would i have shelvey on the plane, he would be in my starting XI.

Pope in as a second choice keeper for a premiership club when you have ruddy, carson johnstone which are all better and more experienced.

Cahill is way past his best and doesnt like the ball, and we are playijng a back 3 right?

Dunk + others are much better options.

Wellback? seriously?

Roll on 2 - 4 years when Sessignon, Sancho and Lookman will all be shoe-ins.

Shame its come to soon for them, and Southgate who is insistant on premiership experience, even when its bad experience. 

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

A lot of the squad picks itself but Welbeck is a poor selection. Be good to see more "surprising" call ups from time to time, especially as the squad isn't particularly strong and there's young players about who a lot of people think could do the job. Would probably improve people's general opinion of the England setup would be a little refreshed too. 

I know Welbeck has got a decent record for England but he's not the future, I don't see why we've gone with him over the likes of Solanke, Calvert-Lewin etc. They won't be any worse.

3 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Pope in as a second choice keeper for a premiership club when you have ruddy, carson johnstone which are all better and more experienced.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Pope have the highest number of clean sheets of any English keeper in the Premier League, and also the highest percentage of saves? Also, he certainly is not second choice for Burnley.

Happy with that squad. People are moaning but the fact is, we don’t have a great selection of players to choose from.

I’m glad that he’s had the bottle to include some young players. I would have taken Jadon Sancho though instead of welbeck as he will be the star of English football in the future but I can understand why he’s picked welbeck.

Archived