Top 6 was a decent season

Curtains

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

I think top 6 is reasonable for this season but next season Gary has to improve the squad .

Mel Morris has stated though that the academy players will be more involved .

So one way or the other Gary has a tough job .

Who knows what will happen next season as there are so many variables 

Curtains,let's be honest here....

Are you honestly happy with our tactics,approach and gameplay last night?

Are you looking forwards to that again next season....

How much of that is down to Gary?

I saw our team working its heart out yesterday,so how much was down to them...I thought their effort was tremendous.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I saw our team working its heart out yesterday,do how much was down to them?

I am disappointed.

Gary has to improve us next season 

But I don’t  want a change off manager. 

Mel Morris has to choose the direction we go in ie Academy players and moving senior players out etc etc. 

Do we spend don’t we spend etc etc etc 

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I saw our team working its heart out yesterday,do how much was down to them?

Its weird - we got some great away results during the season. 3-0 at Boro for example. We seemed to dwindle away as an away force as the season went on. Was it just fatigue amongst our oldies? Surely the results during the autumn and early winter can't ALL be fluke and based off 25-30% possession and giving up 2-3 times the number of chances to the opposition that we have?

I don't understand - its as though we got progressively worse the more that Gary and his coaching team transmitted their ideas. which is a worry in itself. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

I am disappointed.

Mel Morris has to choose the direction we go in ie Academy players and moving senior players out etc etc. 

I'm honestly interested as to why you have faith in Gary changing or being able to improve our gameplay.

Are you happy with this way of playing or are you just fed up of changing managers....

Which previous manager epitomises how you like to see Derby playing curtains?

Just now, curtains said:

I am disappointed.

These are consistent views - I'll be honest that I don't care whether it is Gary or some other guy, but I want to see some evidence of good coaching, pass and move football. Basics being done WELL. Last night we had far fewer pass attempts than Fulham - ok, we were defending. But our pass completion percentage was so poor. Gary can have his style of quick passing bursts to get the ball forward through the thirds, don't mind, but he has to be targeting a far better completion rate as evidence that he is coaching the team to do the simple things well.

As for Mel - he probably thinks hes spent enough. Gary has brought many of his players in. If I were Mel and seeing continuous balls being given away I'd wonder what the heck I'm paying a coaching team to do and why should I give him any more money to spend teaching new players more of the same bad habits.

You have to look at the bigger picture. This negative football won't get us anywhere. It's almost as if the players are being told you're not good enough to compete, just defend for your lives. We have some good players in our team, change the mentality Gary.

Stark difference between  the two teams last was technical ability of Fulham and our very poor passing that put us under greater pressure than we might have been.

Rowett is never going to play attacking fluid football he was a defender and that's his mentality ,he has surpassed my expectations in our final league position and succeeded at the same time to  disengage me because of the standard of football.

Two shots was it over two legs is not the future we lack ability on the ball in the final third .In the first leg he played AW at left wing back to accommodate  Vydra and for the life of me I don't why we loaned Palmer .

He has sold the better players for a gamble on experience which was a brave thing to do and it's ultimately failed .We now have an old squad with not a lot of cash to repair the team .

The loan market looks to be the answer and I believe the best way forward ,have to say it's debatable if GR is capable of put together the team to finally achieve something.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Was top 6 a decent season? Not so sure really if I am honest. Maybe if you just look at league position but that papers over one hell of a lot of cracks.

Let's ignore the fact that we were second and again imploded in spectacular fashion.

Let's ignore the fact that we went **** or bust and bust and now have to live with the consequences.

Let's ignore the fact that 'young and hungry' were playing for other clubs.

Let's ignore the fact that we had one of the most experienced squads in the league.

Let's ignore the fact that bar the odd 15 mins here and there, we were generally bored shitless for most of the season, even when we were second.

Let's ignore the fact that we have not moved on at all from the previous season.

We now seem to have a souless club with no real identity. The fanbase has never been more split. Crowds are dwindling.

Other than that, we finished 6th in one of the worse Championship seasons I can remember. The quality has been shocking bar Wolves and in the end Fulham. We stayed in the playoffs only really because others could not take advantage of our poor form. 

But hay ho... 6th when some predicted they would be happy with 10th.. Happy days, everything must be on the up. 

I think Players like, Davies, Huddlestone, Jerome will be even better next season (especially Jerome with a full pre season with us). And next season the CC will be even worse, the three relegated teams need massive changes (Stoke need an overhaul) and Swansea for some reason wont spend much under Jenkins. I can see us getting top 6 minimum. Its not like all our 30+ year old players will just turn to rubbish next season.

I bet getting to the play offs was behond most fans expectations this season.

But once there we should have really made more of an effort over the 2 games. Not really a fan of playing 5 at the back especially at home.

Unfortunately we are now stuck for another season with ageing players, not really a good sign.

At the end of the day, we have underachieved not only this season but for the past four or five when you consider our resources and the investment in our squad.

During the past five seasons, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Burnley, Huddersfield, Watford, Brighton, Hull and Norwich have all managed to get promoted to the Premier League. We haven't. 

If clubs like these can achieve promotion (and, in some cases, establish themselves in the Premier League), why can't we? 

I said it a while back that if we went up it would obviously have been a great season. However, as that didn't happen it has been a terrible failure. I say this because we have signed more older players, the academy products haven't been given a chance and we are still stuck with loads of highly paid bench warmers.

if you can't win them all, at least lose giving it everything and trying to play football. I think I went for mid table but that was on the basis that we were in transition, getting rid of the old and getting some younger hungrier players in. That didn't happen.

Mels remit was to increase the value of the players. Has that been achieved? Only Vydra has increased in value I reckon

so to summarise

promotion - no

cleared out older highly paid players - no, added to them.

brought in young hungry players - no

increase the value of the players - no

introduced academy players in to the first team squad - no

played good football - no

those are my views and your welcome to challenge them.

9 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Ok,but what about my other questions?

I'm just trying  to see it from your(and other Pro rowett) fans point of view...

I like Gary Rowett and he did well to get us in the top 6. 

This perenial problem is not going to change by sacking managers. 

Next season is another season in which we need to improve and that is not just the manager.  The players also need to improve or move on. 

The academy is MM preferred direction along with cost cutting. 

5 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

so to summarise

promotion - no

cleared out older highly paid players - no, added to them.

brought in young hungry players - no

increase the value of the players - no

introduced academy players in to the first team squad - no

played good football - no

those are my views and your welcome to challenge them.

I'm sorry to say, as much as I like Gary, that I agree 100% with that summary.

Where to now?

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Next season is another season in which we need to improve and that is not just the manager.  The players also need to improve or move on. 

If Mels preferred direction is clear, then it doesn't take a genius manager, just one that does what Mel wants. Its such a contradiction to say that Gary Rowett has gambled massively by doing the exact opposite of what Mel explained he wanted when he hired him, yet then doesn't seem to take any risks at all in matches - preferring a defend at all costs approach.

I was remembering the Swansea v Forest play-off semi 2nd leg. One of the most exciting of modern times. Both teams really having to go for it and doing so.

Compared to our feeble dogged and dour defensive effort it was chalk and cheese. Yet others have said our lads looked shattered - they gave their all. So whose instructions were they following?

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

I would love to see more players from the Academy given an opportunity to play regular first team football but we would have to be patient with them as not all will be Championship standard straight away/at all. Some will make it, others won't and sadly we can't take too big a risk or we could find ourselves at the wrong end of the table very quickly.  I think more regular involvement for 3-4 Academy players (for example, Guy, Thomas, Bogle and Lowe) would be a positive step but we can't suddenly start picking half a dozen all at once.

I'm struggling to see what Mel and Gary's vision is. It's easy to say we want promotion, 15/16 clubs say that. Mel said his vision was Nice football, using youth, making signings which would increase in value.....We have literally done everything but that ! It's the complete opposite.

I worry for the future now. We can't spend money, we have an aging squad who we wont get anything for.

24 minutes ago, toddy said:

I bet getting to the play offs was behond most fans expectations this season.

But once there we should have really made more of an effort over the 2 games. Not really a fan of playing 5 at the back especially at home.

Unfortunately we are now stuck for another season with ageing players, not really a good sign.

The trouble is it effectively is 7 at the back, if the wingbacks don't play high enough and the two holding players struggle to get out. Ours never really asked questions to the final third, bar Weimen when he played there. 

DCFC 2017/18 - We never made the opposition think hard enough. GR needs to see a hypnotist and get rid of these defensive shackles for DCFC 2018/19. If he does not, snooze fest on the way. Come on Gary... Enough of the bondage.

Archived