Can we have a new manager like Slavisa Jokanovic

He's just another average manager with a bit of money to spend. He's nothing special.

Gary's had to duck and weave and got us into the play-offs, much against expectation! Well done, Gary!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If spending 15 million pounds in the Championship isnt classed as substantial investment then I’m done. 

I don’t crave for Fulham’s gaffer by the way but let’s not get carried away with this whole sob story about Gary not having any investment again. It’s literally ********. 

7 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Hughes and ince had to go ffp reasons...

Don't act like his hands were tied. They didn't have a place in the team either way - If they'd have stayed, they'd both have been bench warmers and largely ineffective in this set up.

I'm also not sure how selling hughes for 4 million and buying lawrence for 7 million helps us financially either.

4 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

If spending 15 million pounds in the Championship isnt classed as substantial investment then I’m done. 

I don’t crave for Fulham’s gaffer by the way but let’s not get carried away with this whole sob story about Gary not having any investment again. It’s literally ********. 

Intrigued me so I googled. 

According to transfermarkt site Jokanovic spent £19.64m and sold players for £16.83. There’s a fair few loans come in and expired, so he’s maxed out on the loan market and who knows what wages are involved there.

No idea how accurate this site is, it incidentally shows us as a transfer surplus this year! Flaw being the bare figures hide wage spend and loan fees. So whilst it’s up for debate who has done the better job with funds available, my point would be to get 3rd and a play off final for around those sums shows good management to me.

So I’m in the he’s a decent manager camp on that basis, without having to slate Rowett or say he’s better than him coming into it.

Just now, Zag zig said:

Intrigued me so I googled. 

According to transfermarkt site Jokanovic spent £19.64m and sold players for £16.83. There’s a fair few loans come in and expired, so he’s maxed out on the loan market and who knows what wages are involved there.

No idea how accurate this site is, it incidentally shows us as a transfer surplus this year! Flaw being the bare figures hide wage spend and loan fees. So whilst it’s up for debate who has done the better job with funds available, my point would be to get 3rd and a play off final for around those sums shows good management to me.

So I’m in the he’s a decent manager camp on that basis, without having to slate Rowett or say he’s better than him coming into it.

Mixed wires here I think mate, my post was a bit misleading, was aimed at excuses being made for GR, not Jokanovic. 

He’s a good manager I agree, had some decent players at his disposal but nailed both style and results. Really good side to watch. 

If they dont go up , they will have the heart ripped out of that team

Mitrovic and Taggart only on loan and Cairney and Sessegnon will leave

The advantage that we have is that wont happen to us, so we have a head start over teams like stoke, swansea, Fulham ect

1 minute ago, dcfcfan1 said:

If they dont go up , they will have the heart ripped out of that team

Mitrovic and Taggart only on loan and Cairney and Sessegnon will leave

Fulham want £100m for Sessegnon, so they're better off keeping him for me - if they do stay down. 

They could do what we did with Hughes and sell him in 3-4 years time for £4.5m though.

7 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

Another 12 months isn't going to change Rowett's footballing philosophy. Stability is key, but Jokanovic's intent has always been there. 

Yeah but how did his first season at Fulham end up pal. You and the boo boys would have had him out the door before he'd had a chance to build anything. This aside, weren't you rather more content again before the game last night or did I just imagine it. Can't be arsed to pile through your recent posts to see whether you've just totally flipsided or not.

8 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Yeah but how did his first season at Fulham end up pal. You and the boo boys would have had him out the door before he'd had a chance to build anything. This aside, weren't you rather more content again before the game last night or did I just imagine it. Can't be arsed to pile through your recent posts to see whether you've just totally flipsided or not.

Hardly. I've generally backed managers and advocated longevity with the exception of Pearson and Rowett, who I think I've been fairly consistent on for the last 6 months. I don't know why you're acting so mardy - it's not entirely unreasonable to aspire to more than 24% possession at home. If entertainment value was of so little importance, I'd just stare at the live table on the BBC site and wait for it to update.

I care about the club, and I care about the identity of the club and the manner in which we approach games means a lot to me.

This is how Rowett plays. Even if we had a 200 million windfall he would play the same. Brentford have a far smaller budget than us but in my opinion play a lot better style of football. I'm prepared to give Rowett another season but if the style remains the same and we miss our on the playoffs then I think he'll be toast 

9 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Hardly. I've generally backed managers and advocated longevity with the exception of Pearson and Rowett, who I think I've been fairly consistent on for the last 6 months. I don't know why you're acting so mardy - it's not entirely unreasonable to aspire to more than 24% possession at home. If entertainment value was of so little importance, I'd just stare at the live table on the BBC site and wait for it to update.

I care about the club, and I care about the identity of the club and the manner in which we approach games means a lot to me.

Pearson was a road crash though fella, Rowett is far from it. ANd don't assume that because folk are prepared to give Rowett a chance that they are in favour of zero possession football. That's a rather simplistic line to take IMO. As for being mardy, I'm not - it was a genuine question. I thought you'd posted something pretty positive about the way we were progressing recently. Since you've levelled that accusation though, on the mardy scale, I'd say you've smashed me out the park this season, wouldn't you? Pretty sure you stated as much yourself not long ago or did I imagine that too?

8 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

Another 12 months isn't going to change Rowett's footballing philosophy. Stability is key, but Jokanovic's intent has always been there. 

Know you’re firmly against Rowett but I can’t help but agree here. He’s moulded Fulham with a mixture of youth and loans but his style of play is obvious.

Be interesting if they don’t make it, how he gets on next year. I’d expect it would be more of the same, even if he once again has to churn his squad and I’d expect them to be right up there. Won’t know unless they fail. I’d expect us to be thereabouts too for the play offs, just playing an all together different way; know deep down which I’d prefer though.

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

Pearson was a road crash though fella, Rowett is far from it. ANd don't assume that because folk are prepared to give Rowett a chance that they are in favour of zero possession football. That's a rather simplistic line to take IMO. As for being mardy, I'm not - it was a genuine question. I thought you'd posted something pretty positive about the way we were progressing recently. Since you've levelled that accusation though, on the mardy scale, I'd say you've smashed me out the park this season, wouldn't you? 

No, I don't think I've been overly mardy this season. I've certainly complained a decent amount, but genuinely hope I haven't come off as aggressive as you have the last few days. I'm not assuming you're in favour of zero possession football, I'm just surprised you're so combative with people that are against it. 

Emotions are certainly high right now, and I've tried to keep my posts reasonably tame. I haven't started any threads gloating about the result as I genuinely wanted us to win. I can have complaints about the way we've set up this season while still being a supporter. 

20 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Pearson was a road crash though fella, Rowett is far from it. ANd don't assume that because folk are prepared to give Rowett a chance that they are in favour of zero possession football. That's a rather simplistic line to take IMO. As for being mardy, I'm not - it was a genuine question. I thought you'd posted something pretty positive about the way we were progressing recently. Since you've levelled that accusation though, on the mardy scale, I'd say you've smashed me out the park this season, wouldn't you? Pretty sure you stated as much yourself not long ago or did I imagine that too?

7 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

No, I don't think I've been overly mardy this season. I've certainly complained a decent amount, but genuinely hope I haven't come off as aggressive as you have the last few days. I'm not assuming you're in favour of zero possession football, I'm just surprised you're so combative with people that are against it. 

Emotions are certainly high right now, and I've tried to keep my posts reasonably tame. I haven't started any threads gloating about the result as I genuinely wanted us to win. I can have complaints about the way we've set up this season while still being a supporter. 

You guys are both good posters, I think you should agree to differ?

Derby has had a good season but the style of football has been painful to watch.

But this style of football has nearly got us promoted and I would say Rowett has tried to do it his way and sadly it's not worked.

So Mel has a big decision to make do we carry on with Gary or make a change so what is the answer?

One thing that has to happen is a massive clearout which comes with the added problems with the age of players and the length of contracts they are on? Over to you Mel do you pay them off or sell them cheap but for me, you have to make the decisions quickly. Just from the squad last night I would be looking to pay off or sell the likes of Keogh, Forsyth,Weinman,Anya,Johnson,Ledley, Martin and Butterfield on their return. We need to find a system that works and the players to fit the system and we have to be looking at young hungry players with flair and the passion which as fans we are looking for. We need runners all over the pitch, defenders who can defend we need attackers with the composure of playing the right ball not just crossing to no one. We have the basis of a good team with Carson, Davies, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Lawrence, and Vydra we now need to add the youth to that and some from the youth team and some new signings to make the difference to push the rams forward for next season. So over to you Mel to make the right decisions.

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

This is it. We have spent more than Fulham I seem to remember, yet people make a point that ''Fulham have a better squad than us'' we have spent more than them, why is this acceptable? It isn't good enough on any level.

Cease, Andicis

Archived