John Motsons first go out

irobinson

The Times today had a great piece and facts on John Motson, who i love and respect because he used to say that the best place he liked was the BBG - best ground  (there is to be a big tv programme dedicated to him)

Anyway we are famous because of Motty!!

The key facts  - First radio commentary was Everton vs Derby 1969 on Radio - Goodison

Anyone at the match? can you recall the game  - what happened?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Not sure about the match, but his sons a big derby fan isn't he?

I have a feeling he is, on the quiet. Met him in the merlin a couple of times pre match. True gentleman, was sat on the next table as fan after fan came to speak to him. For about an hour he spoke to each of them with equal enthusiasm. Got the feeling he just lives and breathes football 

Yes his son is a big fan. Met Motty in the bar at The Holiday Inn in Salford in 2012, he was filming for MOTD and I had come back from The Stone Roses gig at Heaton park. He was stood on his own and I plucked up the courage up to buy him a drink. He told me then that he thought the owners wanted Nigel gone. Told me some great stories re Clough Senior and he has some real affection for the club. Good guy

Met Motty Snr outside PP a couple of years back. Much less “anoraks” in real life and we spoke about his son Fred and their shared passion for Derby County. We have of course Stuart Webb to thank for “recruiting” many Rams thanks to the “Junior Rams” innovation which, like many things DCFC did back then were ahead of the curve...first Club to install pitch sprinklers {made famous by Cloughie’s liberal turning of the tap before taking a nap}, and also shirt advertising {though technically Derek Dougan’s Keytering Town got there first}. But back to Motty...perfect gent and a real football character. 

Archived