Steve McClaren to QPR

Nuwtfly

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Wishing him good luck would mean QPR doing well, so unfortunately on this occasion I can't.

Like Steve McClaren, but hate QPR, so I’m trying to work out a scenario where he can crash and burn without ruining his career. 

He'll do a good job there. I'm surprised by some of the comments to be honest, especially when you look at his record here:

124 games | 64 wins, 29 draws, 31 losses | 51.61% win rate

When normalised for a 46 game season, it works out roughly 82-83 points which is good enough for the play-offs. It's also almost guaranteed that they will sign Chris Martin, as well as some very talented loan players, and play some proper football. 

Good luck to them! 

Holloway’s wife is ill, or something along those lines, so he’s walking away from football for a bit. 

I don’t understand the attitude of fans in general towards McClaren. QPR fans saying they don’t want him as he’s failed everywhere.

Are they really that thick? McClaren has a mixed record, who doesn’t? But when the situation is right, he’s a brilliant coach and he provides amazing football.

McClaren’s biggest failures were Forest and Newcastle. But look at the situation of each. He took over a Forest side who was managed and built by longball Billy Davies. Obviously that was going to take time as you can’t just come in and get such players playing an attractive brand of football. The other was Newcastle. He took over a side who won just one of their previous 20 PL games and was in ruins after Pardew left them for Palace.

He’s had great spells at Twente, Boro and Derby, improving the team in each spell. Then he had average spells at Wolfsburg and Twente 2, and poor spells at Forest and Newcastle.

Like most managers, if it fits he can succeed. Give him a squad in ruins and it takes time to rebuild.

If QPR give him time, he’ll get them playing great football. Patience is needed.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Holloway’s wife is ill, or something along those lines, so he’s walking away from football for a bit. 

I don’t understand the attitude of fans in general towards McClaren. QPR fans saying they don’t want him as he’s failed everywhere.

Are they really that thick? McClaren has a mixed record, who doesn’t? But when the situation is right, he’s a brilliant coach and he provides amazing football.

McClaren’s biggest failures were Forest and Newcastle. But look at the situation of each. He took over a Forest side who was managed and built by longball Billy Davies. Obviously that was going to take time as you can’t just come in and get such players playing an attractive brand of football. The other was Newcastle. He took over a side who won just one of their previous 20 PL games and was in ruins after Pardew left them for Palace.

He’s had great spells at Twente, Boro and Derby, improving the team in each spell. Then he had average spells at Wolfsburg and Twente 2, and poor spells at Forest and Newcastle.

Like most managers, if it fits he can succeed. Give him a squad in ruins and it takes time to rebuild.

If QPR give him time, he’ll get them playing great football. Patience is needed.

It's the England effect.  Keegan, Hoddle and Taylor were totally destroyed by the press and never really worked in management again. Hogson has managed to battle back, as has McClaren.  But fans are still 'meh' when they are mentioned as a possible new manager for their side.

40 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

It's the England effect.  Keegan, Hoddle and Taylor were totally destroyed by the press and never really worked in management again. Hogson has managed to battle back, as has McClaren.  But fans are still 'meh' when they are mentioned as a possible new manager for their side.

That’s true. You’d think someone who has managed at the highest level would be held in high regard. But unless a manager retires the second he’s won the World Cup, the press will always eventually drag him down.

He was far from the best England manager ever, but he was England manager. That’s an achievement. In fact, when you total up jos achievements, he’s done a damn sight more than a Pardew, Warnock or even a Redknapp could ever hope for. 

Meanwhile, I ******* hate QPR. How short their memories are. Before he came to us, he was coaching for them, and helped turn them into the side that eventually beat us in the play offs. Ungrateful tossers. Where else are the going to find an ex international, multiple trophy winning (in multiple countries) manager. He’s too good for em. 

Did I mention I ******* hate QPR?!

3 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Not a fan of IH TBH but this is a little disrespectful from QPR and I’m sure the LMA will have something to say about it. 

Just another reason to hate QPR. No class. 

16 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Like Steve McClaren, but hate QPR, so I’m trying to work out a scenario where he can crash and burn without ruining his career. 

Hasn't he already done that??    repeatedly??   

Archived