eSports

Andicis

Is an eSport a real sport?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today, I saw that one of the Sports Emmy's was awarded to Riot Games, for their work in the league of legends world championship, what do we think? Should an eSports be considered alongside a sport? 

This is a market area growing almost exponentially in viewership every year, and a lot of big sports clubs are starting to invest. Some notable names from football linked are PSG, Schalke 04, Roma and Alvaro Arbeloa, who have all invested in eSports. With rumours of the likes of Manchester United and Real Madrid investing soon too.

This alongside proposals from the olympic committee considering eSports as part of the Olympic games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/41790148

Having recently attended an event at the Haymarket theatre in Leicester, I was impressed by the professionalism on show in the running of it, and surprisingly the ''nerd'' stereotype really didn't fit at all. There was chanting as would be at a football game, and it seemed to have a similar crowd of people. 

Knowing the negative stigma attached to eSports, I expect the poll results to show against eSports, but I feel as if it's quite an enjoyable growing hobby for me. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Just because all your twitterarmy mates whip your ass all the time.

But enough about that, what do you think about the esports?

I have just one question for the jury.

Would League of Legends be included the the summer olympics or winter? By the puzzled look on your faces, I think we have the answer.

No further questions your honour.

Well we have able-bodied sports, and disability sports - I don't think it's fair that we still exclude couch potatoes....

And while we're at it, what about the perennially talentless? I can't believe that we don't have 'the splash' as one of the swimming events in the Olympics!

3 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Well we have able-bodied sports, and disability sports - I don't think it's fair that we still exclude couch potatoes....

Never thought about it that way, let them in, we can also have the Film Olympics, who can stay awake the longest through a Lord of the Rings film. 

Opportunity as well to bring revenue in with sponsored events, NowTV Game of Thrones Marathon.

As someone who watches the odd tournament, and plays the games involved (although obviously not close to that level) I definitely think they will grow to a wider audience, and be a mainstream 'spectator' event within a couple of decades.

However, I said no to both questions because they both imply an association between esports and sport, which I don't think there should be. I think even the name choice was a mistake and many people in the industry agree. It should be allowed to grow independently and not shoe-horned in to some kind of partnership with sporting events and/or sport based media.

Events are already doing well, entirely independent of any association with anything else - just let that grow.

As a 45yo gamer myself and parent of a 15 yo and 11yo gamer I have voted yes to both. 

To get anywhere near the top ranks in CSGO or Overwatch etc you need to put in hours and hours of practice and have godlike reflexes. 

More than that however, top games such as Fortnite currently get billions of view time minutes each month. Thats not millions, its billions.  There's a lot of sponsorship and advertisement money to be made from that.  There are several bodies trying to organise and regulate things now (as a family we're going to the CSGO Faceit Major https://www.faceitmajor.com/ in London later in the year for the weekend - the boys wanted to go and tbh I'm quite interested to see what all the fuss is about!) that will no doubt try to push it from whats been traditionally seen as sad and lonely pursuit into something more mainstream as well.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If dressage can be an Olympic sport I see no reason why anything else should be off the table.

The first time I turned on the telly and there were dancing horses, I literally thought someone had slipped LSD into my cocoa...

6 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Where do we draw the line? If we're getting into wrist-action Olympics, I don't really want to be watching international soggy biscuit....

Wrist-action O!ympics. Is it just all about coming first or is there a load more to it.

No on two counts.

1. Playing computer games is not a sport, no matter how much you want it to be.

2. There should be less sports at the Olympics, not more. Football, Tennis, Golf etc should not be Olympic sports as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived