Boston Red Sox v Yankees in London

David

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/12/2018 at 16:39, alexxxxx said:

how on earth did you manage that?????? i was refreshing refreshing on my phone as well. couldnt even get to the bit where you typed in your code for about 15min...

Someone has to get lucky I suppose! Sorry to hear you weren’t 

• 6 months later...

I'm planning on heading over around the 2nd inning to see if I can grab a cheap ticket off a tout. 

I can see it being a home run fest the way this season is going, especially with that Yankees line up.

15 hours ago, MK said:

I'm planning on heading over around the 2nd inning to see if I can grab a cheap ticket off a tout. 

I can see it being a home run fest the way this season is going, especially with that Yankees line up.

Im sure youll grab some cheap. There's so many on Facebook from people who 'can't go' 

2 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

This has cost you and me, the taxpayer approx £4m to put on. 

Why? 

Stimulates the economy, is the basic answer. Putting this one off event on essentially guarantees expenditure from tens of thousands of people going to watch, and eventually the net benefit of holding the event to the economy will probably be greater than the £4m(If spent correctly), as they spend the money at the event, which then circulates around the economy. Add to that the chunk of the £4m paid to staff aids the economy, as they will then spend the money earned in shops or something, which then the shop owners will get and then spend etc etc. It's the Multiplier effect. It's the principle which backs up intentions to hold Olympics, World Cups etc. Events that make huge losses on the face of it, but, in the long run *Could* see a greater increase in national Income than initial expenditure if spent correctly

On 30/06/2019 at 00:40, oomarkwright said:

This has cost you and me, the taxpayer approx £4m to put on. 

Why? 

Because of the way it was reported. The stadium is owned by the taxpayer and due to the nature of the stadium has to refit the stadium for different uses. The £4M refit cost is just that cost - there is no indication that the taxpayer lost out because of the revenue from ticket sales and concessions that came from that. The tickets were insanely expensive and 59000 attendance both days. If we say that 100000 were sold and not freebies, and the average ticket price was £80 (bare in mind that is probably a very low average since there were several thousand tickets on sale for £300+) then revenue was at least £8M.

The athletics refit last year cost considerably more than that.

Archived