Landscapers help!

Angry Ram

Need some help.. I have approx 120 sq Mtrs of slate gray patio slabs in the garden.. They look great when they are wet but crap when they are dry. Is there anything out there that will darken them to almost black? The garden is south facing and anything we have put on them just gets burnt away In a couple of months..

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Need some help.. I have approx 120 sq Mtrs of slate gray patio slabs in the garden.. They look great when they are wet but crap when they are dry. Is there anything out there that will darken them to almost black? The garden is south facing and anything we have put on them just gets burnt away In a couple of months..

Lots of water should do the trick, keep em moist. Don’t forget to click like to say thanks.

1 hour ago, David said:

Lots of water should do the trick, keep em moist. Don’t forget to click like to say thanks.

This is the South...It’s warm down here. Hose pipe bans every year.. It’s tough believe me..

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

You could try this, it's what a landscaper recommended to us when we had ours done last summer.

https://www.tufftrade.co.uk/product/weiss-ft-plus/

39 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Read the bumph, if it’s applied on any damp surface it will cause effervescence.

Might look like a winter scene in the middle of summer.

exercise caution, don’t  get angry.

Yes I read all that.

You just need to know what the flagstones are laid on, don't use if not sure.

Ours was new, but it never stayed dry enough to apply it, so I didn't bother.

Will get around to it someday.

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

You could try this, it's what a landscaper recommended to us when we had ours done last summer.

https://www.tufftrade.co.uk/product/weiss-ft-plus/

Do a test patch first.

We where recommended this https://www.diy.com/departments/thompson-s-paving-seal-5000-ml/35689_BQ.prd?utm_source=google_cpc&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=PX_GSC_Surfaces_+_Generic&ppc_type=shopping&ds_kids=92700029904929755&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7q7dioL02gIVi7TtCh1RQwo1EAQYAiABEgKu-PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMrQlZGC9NoCFcynUQod9_EGUA

However after a bit of research, we opted not too, because more seemed to be able to go wrong than right, plus ours is only 3 years down, so not looking too bad.

8 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Do a test patch first.

We where recommended this https://www.diy.com/departments/thompson-s-paving-seal-5000-ml/35689_BQ.prd?utm_source=google_cpc&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=PX_GSC_Surfaces_+_Generic&ppc_type=shopping&ds_kids=92700029904929755&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7q7dioL02gIVi7TtCh1RQwo1EAQYAiABEgKu-PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMrQlZGC9NoCFcynUQod9_EGUA

However after a bit of research, we opted not too, because more seemed to be able to go wrong than right, plus ours is only 3 years down, so not looking too bad.

There's loads of stuff to suit.

We went for black limestone flags, which are notoriously bleachy, but so far they've been ok, do intend to treat them before summers out though.

Probably helps they get little direct sunlight.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

There's loads of stuff to suit.

We went for black limestone flags, which are notoriously bleachy, but so far they've been ok, do intend to treat them before summers out though.

Probably helps they get little direct sunlight.

Ours are in the south facing part of the garden, have absolutly no shade, so get a right battering for two days of summer the UK gets allocated!

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Yes I read all that.

You just need to know what the flagstones are laid on, don't use if not sure.

Ours was new, but it never stayed dry enough to apply it, so I didn't bother.

Will get around to it someday.

I was thinking more of Angry Ram, his loose slate clippings init.

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I was thinking more of Angry Ram, his loose slate clippings init.

Slate slabs, not slate chippings. 

Surprised he didn't call them flagstones though, sound much posher than slabs!

1 minute ago, David said:

120 square meters in London sounds posh enough, you could get 5 apartments on that and a shop down there 

I thought only Roman Abramovic could afford a house with a 120m sq patio in London! 

Archived