Would you sell Vydra?

robglosta

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Moist One said:

don't twist my words, he arrived here 'unproven'. Until 3 weeks ago, the majority were moaning about him, he was even being booed by Derby fans, remember the celebration?

Vydra had history, but you prove my point, do you think Rowett would have paid £8m for Vydra at the time we bought him?

Not sure it’s the majority rather than the noisier negatives ,, think a lot were like me and uncertain ,, some more positive than me actually made me take a look with fresh eyes  and take a more balanced view ,,,as for vydra why would he not have been prepared to spend £ 8 mill on him if he really rated him given that as you say he had history when he was prepared to spend 7 mill on Lawrence who had no such history? ,,,, your arguments don’t make a jot of sense 

13 hours ago, Moist One said:

I am not convinced either way, but what I would ask is, Would Rowett have bought Vydra in the first place for £8m, I reckon the answer is no. I have a perception that he'd buy 3 x £2.5m players to fill the team out as opposed to buying that 1 player that puts us above the rest.

Do you not think Rowett possibly saw Lawrence as that one player that puts us above the rest? Whilst it would be fair to say he possibly hasn’t hit the highs many were hoping for, that’s the risk with any signing you make. Only this season has Vydra shown his true worth and that transfer fee is no longer seen as a stick to beat the club with, next season Lawrence may take it up a level with a more central role.

Both were a similar age when they arrived at Derby, Vydra was 24, Lawrence 23. 

Vydra had a couple of decent seasons at Watford, Lawrence impressed on loan at Ipswich.

Let’s not forget £5m was almost spent on a centre back, now this could back up your perception I guess as we opted for just the one Curtis Davies, after the season he’s had, not sure we can be critical of that decision. 

1 hour ago, Moist One said:

don't twist my words, he arrived here 'unproven'. Until 3 weeks ago, the majority were moaning about him, he was even being booed by Derby fans, remember the celebration?

Vydra had history, but you prove my point, do you think Rowett would have paid £8m for Vydra at the time we bought him?

Why let facts get in the way hey mate 

2 mangers got nothing out of him before rowett got hold of him 

Lol great attempt to twist what I said to suit your argument 

your saying that rowett hasn't in him to make a signing with quality or creativey.... someone that will make a difference 

well what's putting 7m quid on one player if it's not backing ur judgment 

history counts for **** all mate, ask any red dog

how many players have we signed with history and have not performed for us 

v weak attempt mate, v weak  

2 hours ago, Moist One said:

I don’t think I’m wrong in saying that he said he tried to sign him on loan for Birmingham when he went to Reading, but they couldn’t afford the £3m loan fee. So he definitely rated him but couldn’t / wouldn’t pay the loan fee, but given funds at his disposal maybe he would’ve spent it on him. All supposition to say he would or he wouldn’t but by signing Lawrence he’s shown he’s no opposed to paying out largeish fees if he sees it as the right player / investment.

5 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I don’t think I’m wrong in saying that he said he tried to sign him on loan for Birmingham when he went to Reading, but they couldn’t afford the £3m loan fee. So he definitely rated him but couldn’t / wouldn’t pay the loan fee, but given funds at his disposal maybe he would’ve spent it on him. All supposition to say he would or he wouldn’t but by signing Lawrence he’s shown he’s no opposed to paying out largeish fees if he sees it as the right player / investment.

Yep 

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

your saying that rowett hasn't in him to make a signing with quality or creativey.... someone that will make a difference 

that's not strictly what I said. I suggested he'd be more like Nigel Clough and buy a few instead of bringing in a stellar signing.

Just now, curtains said:

Lawrence is doing ok right 

I've defended Lawrence all season, I can see quality in a player. Many others haven't. Still think £7m was steep for where he was in his career and how unproven he was.

Just now, Moist One said:

I've defended Lawrence all season, I can see quality in a player. Many others haven't. Still think £7m was steep for where he was in his career and how unproven he was.

I have also defended Lawrence all season but what I’m saying is he was a stella  signing in my eyes .

Think he  could yet  take us to Wembley and the Premier League  

33 minutes ago, Moist One said:

I'm sure it's not 7m yet? thought it was a rising figure with add - ons? Something like 5 mil. Which I think was and still is a great deal.

On 07/05/2018 at 12:19, t'oldu said:

Watford manager wanting Southgate to include Hughes in World Cup squad.............................Would he be the player he now is without Watford's input?

Concerning indication there's no £20m clause attached to international appearances ?

Boo Rowett out!

I'd love to see Will in an Englad shirt, I miss him.

On 08/05/2018 at 11:20, Moist One said:

that's not strictly what I said. I suggested he'd be more like Nigel Clough and buy a few instead of bringing in a stellar signing.

Hmmmmmmm

ok, let's just leave it there shall we 

weve all got bigger fish to fry right now 

On 07/05/2018 at 10:45, robglosta said:

A hypothetical concept to mull over, but for upwards of 10m would you support the club selling our top scorer and reinvesting the fee into 2/3 players?  If so, which positions?

I expect a fee circa £10 million will see Vydra leave in the likelihood we are a championship club next season. Shame, but that's football..... 

13 hours ago, europia said:

I expect a fee circa £10 million will see Vydra leave in the likelihood we are a championship club next season. Shame, but that's football..... 

I want what your smoking. Why would we sell our golden boot winning top scorer for a measly £2 mil more than we bought him for? Your mad if you think Mel, Gary and anyone else is that stupid. 

14 hours ago, europia said:

If Ince was sold for £11 mill, Hendrick for similar, there's no way Vydra will go for £10 Mill. Probably look at the fee paid for assombalonga from Forest to Middlesborough as a start point. 

clarkeram7

You can't get out of this league without strikers. The big question is using 10 million would you be able to find another striker capable of scoring 20+ goals for less? 

The only one I can think of and worth taking a risk on would maybe that Marriott lad at Peterborough who'd you'd maybe get for 7 million. Is it worth a 3 million profit to take a risk on a burger when you've already got steak at home? 

It'd take 20ish million before I could even start to understand why we'd sell him! 

More to the point, considering Vydra's career stats across this division and above I can't see many people willing to pay over 10/12 million for him. Which is good news for us ??

I'd sell him if we don't go up, but for £15m upfront minimum.  But TBH I can't see that many takers for him, certainly not from the Prem, as he's not physically imposing enough to be a top No 9, and he's not clever enough in his play to be a No 10.  Maybe he'd do well in a side that plays 2 up top, like Burnley.  I'd see him complimenting Wood/Voakes pretty well...

Archived