Is the gap between the Premier League and Championship shrinking?

Mostyn6

All 3 promoted teams (Newcastle, Brighton and Huddersfield) have stayed in the Premier League, and with relative ease compared to recent seasons.

There's a good chance that All 3 teams relegated (Sunderland, Hull and Middlesbrough) could stay down, with Sunderland dropping straight through to League 1.

Teams like Burnley, Watford and Bournemouth don't seem to be favourites for relegation either in recent years, although Watford will probably drop next year.

Is it now a better time than ever to get up and stay up?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the gap has closed markedly.

The top 6 are way into the distance, then come Everton in no man's land.

You can throw a blanket over the rest, even Burnley will just be aiming to get to 40 points again next season.

I think you're a bit premature with Huddersfield mind, they could yet slip into the relegation zone at the death if they don't find another couple of points from somewhere....

Like I said on another thread....Everton are absolutely toilet and there are 12 teams worse than them....!! The Premiershite is exactly that...having said that, I would also say that the top 4 teams are pretty much the best 4 teams in Europe. 

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Like I said on another thread....Everton are absolutely toilet and there are 12 teams worse than them....!! The Premiershite is exactly that...having said that, I would also say that the top 4 teams are pretty much the best 4 teams in Europe. 

Did you type this with a straight face?

The top 5 of the Prem are light years ahead of everyone else. Arsenal are a mid table club who might still finish below Burnley this season. The entire rest of the league is cannon fodder fighting for the privilege of being the teams who occupy the relegation zone ever year.

Wolves probably are probably already better than a number of teams already in the Prem. Fulham are the only other one I could see competing - most of the rest of the Championship is absolute dross evidenced by the fact we managed to stay in the playoffs despite giving up for half a season.

On 04/05/2018 at 22:21, Moist One said:

All 3 promoted teams (Newcastle, Brighton and Huddersfield) have stayed in the Premier League, and with relative ease compared to recent seasons.

There's a good chance that All 3 teams relegated (Sunderland, Hull and Middlesbrough) could stay down, with Sunderland dropping straight through to League 1.

Teams like Burnley, Watford and Bournemouth don't seem to be favourites for relegation either in recent years, although Watford will probably drop next year.

Is it now a better time than ever to get up and stay up?

It hasn't felt easy! I can't compare to the past but it's felt like a big step up to me. Good luck in the playoffs, surely you've got to do it eventually! 

26 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

It hasn't felt easy! I can't compare to the past but it's felt like a big step up to me. Good luck in the playoffs, surely you've got to do it eventually! 

I think Brighton have looked really comfortable this season. Aside from that tonking against Liverpool, you’ve generally competed in every game.

Haven’t once thought Brighton would go down, and with wins away at West Ham and Swansea early doors it was obvious you had more about you than others down there.

Every year the 3 that go up are also helped out by teams dropping like stones and vastly underperforming.

Who honestly thought WBA, Stoke and Saints would struggle so badly?

By applying the same logic, it really isn’t against the realms of reality to see Leicester, Burnley and Palace drop next year. You’d think all three should be totally fine, but you would have thought that about those down there now.

I reckon Brighton could be top 10 next season. Equally, they could finish bottom! Really is a top 6 + Everton in nomans land + the rest who are relegation candidates

On 05/05/2018 at 16:20, TimRam said:

Why don't the top lot and Celtic just go and make their own league? Then they can buy all the cups they like.

Cos Celtic would finish last every year and not qualify for Europe ?

On 06/05/2018 at 22:06, Bris Vegas said:

I think Brighton have looked really comfortable this season. Aside from that tonking against Liverpool, you’ve generally competed in every game.

Haven’t once thought Brighton would go down, and with wins away at West Ham and Swansea early doors it was obvious you had more about you than others down there.

Every year the 3 that go up are also helped out by teams dropping like stones and vastly underperforming.

Who honestly thought WBA, Stoke and Saints would struggle so badly?

By applying the same logic, it really isn’t against the realms of reality to see Leicester, Burnley and Palace drop next year. You’d think all three should be totally fine, but you would have thought that about those down there now.

I reckon Brighton could be top 10 next season. Equally, they could finish bottom! Really is a top 6 + Everton in nomans land + the rest who are relegation candidates

There's an element of playing teams at the right time. We played Swansea and West Ham at a time when they were woeful. Swansea were awful when we played them, they were genuinely playing at a bottom of the Championship level. They've improved a lot but not sure if it'll be enough. A shame we didn't get to play Palace early on. We also played Arsenal at a brilliant time.

I honestly don't think there's much at all between us and the three who will go down in terms of quality. If anything they're possibly more talented than our lot. The big difference in my opinion, and I could be talking *****, was that because they expected better the atmosphere's turned toxic. Stoke and Saints in particular had their fans on their backs when they were not comfortably beating us and booing them off the pitch etc. Whereas we being the new kids had no expectations going into home games against those sides. 

But yes, in a nutshell, the top 6 are head and shoulders above the rest. I've seen us a bad club in every EFL division and the gap between the bottom of those leagues and the top is nothing like the gap to the top 6 in the Prem. Anything against them are bonus points really and it's a mad scramble for points against the rest where playing a side at the right time and a little bit of luck can make a huge difference to the league table.

The difference between the PL and the Championship, as I see it, and I know you have more experience than me, is that due to the reduced number of games and also the reduced number in which you can realistically get points (top 6 and away games are so tough) every game is that much more important. They're also played at a really high intensity that I don't think always comes across on TV. I now get the whole needing a week between games thing, because the players mental and physical levels are pushed so much further in a PL game. I suppose it comes naturally to the better or more experienced players but for ours you could see how much quicker they had to be mentally and physically. It might look like we've been comfortable but it's been a massive battle to stay up. If our levels dropped just a little bit, we'd be in huge trouble. I think that possibly explains how the likes of WBA/Stoke/Soton got dragged into it because if you're not absolutely on it the league is ruthless. 

I really don't want Boro or Villa to come up. Boro because they're so far away and Pulis knows what he is doing and Villa because you feel they'd be like Newcastle and be fine. Fulham or you guys for me. Fulham as it's a great away day and fairly short trip and Derby just because you've been knocking at the door for the past 5 years and I can relate to that pain and frustration. Plus you haven't been up there for a decade so good to have relatively fresh faces rather than the old guard. I was pretty gutted when Boro got that 96th minute equaliser. :)

On 04/05/2018 at 23:29, MuespachRam said:

You do realise Liverpool FC currently occupy a place in the top four you speak of?? #justsaying

14/15 was alright for good teams outside of the top six. 

Saints, Swansea, Everton, Leicester (left it late but played well all season), Bournemouth, Watford, Brentford, ourselves and Wolves were all good that year. 

Archived