Cutting Loan costs (expert help needed!)

Smyth_18

I know we have a few accounting geniuses on here so was hoping somebody could help.

I couple of years ago we stupidly took out a 10k loan to pay for our wedding/ honeymoon. (please note i was against this at the time but dare i tell her it's her fault?)

We still have 7k to pay off with monthly repayments of 240 odd quid!

I've done a decent job of cutting bills elsewhere but this is the big one so any help would be much appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

I know we have a few accounting geniuses on here so was hoping somebody could help.

I couple of years ago we stupidly took out a 10k loan to pay for our wedding/ honeymoon. (please note i was against this at the time but dare i tell her it's her fault?)

I've done a decent job of cutting bills elsewhere but this is the big one so any help would be much appreciated.

What interest rate are you paying?.

It's worth checking with your lender what the early repayment penalties will be and shop around for a lower rate or longer repayment term on a new loan if you can.

I have 10 months outstanding on a car loan from Sainsburys Bank, so looked at this last week, as I'm probably going to pay it off early. They are going to charge me 56 days interest, as a "penalty". I think this is fairly standard, from what they were saying so it could be well worth paying it and getting a better deal elsewhere.

I assume you've ruled out one or both going on the game??

When we moved house, around 8 years ago now, we ran up about 8k in debts. We moved it all to 0% credit cards, then swapped it to a new credit card (also at 0%) at the end of the term.  Dunno, if thats still a thing as we have fortunately lived the past couple of years both debt and mortgage free but I recall we effectively borrowed 8K at 0%.

The same applies for all credit though, you have to be disciplined to pay off what you owe, not think 'I really need that ivory back scratcher' and add more to it ?

11 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

What interest rate are you paying?.

It's worth checking with your lender what the early repayment penalties will be and shop around for a lower rate or longer repayment term on a new loan if you can.

I have 10 months outstanding on a car loan from Sainsburys Bank, so looked at this last week, as I'm probably going to pay it off early. They are going to charge me 56 days interest, as a "penalty". I think this is fairly standard, from what they were saying so it could be well worth paying it and getting a better deal elsewhere.

I assume you've ruled out one or both going on the game??

Not sure of the interest off the top of my head. (both for the loan and going on the game)

We're not particularly desperate i must add, just any cost cutting is a help!

23 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Try here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cut-existing-loan-costs

Plus if you do look for another lower rate loan see if there's one where you can 'check your eligibilty' first. That is a do a 'soft search' first for a loan.

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

I could help but i'm a fat bloke ?

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

Try capital One? Think they may give credit as part of rescheduling of debts. not sure TBH

PistoldPete2
25 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

I would leg it for 6 years and pay nowt, saving you 100% of your remaining debt.

I know someone who did just that.. married an australian and went down under. Went to australia too. 

21 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

I'm more than happy to be temporarily annoyed if it means getting help mate.

Sorry mate, my advice is never good unless you do the complete opposite. Others are more capable here.

Good luck though.

No good coming here after you’ve taken the loan and got married, should have come here first, would have talked you out of putting a ring on it.

A 10k loan to get a Mrs before her name, blimey, there’s me laying into students and their loans. 

Archived