r4derby

NFL 2018 Season

On 21/06/2018 at 05:34, BurtonRam7 said:

Watched this year’s Super Bowl as my first ever NFL game. Thought I’d try and get into it for the new season, and naturally I’ve chosen the Los Angeles Rams. Could anyone recommend any good ways to keep up to date with what’s happening and learning more about the game as a whole (aside from the rule book)?

There’s also a weekly podcast called In The Pocket with Steve Salisbury and Jay Mueller. It’s by two Americans who’ve lived in Australia for 15-20 years both of whom are very knowledgeable about the NFL. Steve did a weekly radio show here with another American named Ed Wyatt, called Born in the USA for many, many years.

The podcast is relatively new so I can’t honestly say it’s fantastic (yet) but everything Steve does re US sport (and Australian sport and association football for that matter; in fact, Ed Wyatt, his co-host until a couple of seasons ago is an excellent and insightful soccer (association football) commentator).is done as an interested and intelligent fan.

If the 49ers don’t improve this season, you’ll be regaled by Steve’s eloquence in regularly tearing Jed York’s mismanagement of hiS beloved Niners  to shreds if you catch up with it.

Super Bowl winner: Green Bay Packers

1st round pick: Indianapolis Colts

Surprise Playoff team: Denver Broncos

Disappointing Season: Minnesota Vikings

SB winners: New Orleans

AFC Champion: Baltimore. No, I’m not joking; well perhaps half. But I don’t buy the Steelers and I do suspect that every day brings us closer to the day when the Pats are overrun....

NFC Runners up: Atlanta. I see the Saints and the Falcons as the two best teams in it.

#1 Pick: They’re from NY. In order of probability: Jets, Bills, Giants.

Surprise playoff team: Philadelphia...as in they’ll miss the playoffs. To be frank, the only teams that would REALLY surprise me if they fell into a wildcard spot are the obvious ones: Cleveland, Buffalo, NY Jets, Chicago, Detroit, etc. Of that lot, I can only see maybe Detroit even getting anywhere near it.

Biggest Disappointment : you mean, other than Philly right? Houston.

Edited by EssendonRam

1 hour ago, EssendonRam said:

SB winners: New Orleans

AFC Champion: Baltimore. No, I’m not joking; well perhaps half. But I don’t buy the Steelers and I do suspect that every day brings us closer to the day when the Pats are overrun....

NFC Runners up: Atlanta. I see the Saints and the Falcons as the two best teams in it.

#1 Pick: They’re from NY. In order of probability: Jets, Bills, Giants.

Surprise playoff team: Philadelphia...as in they’ll miss the playoffs. To be frank, the only teams that would REALLY surprise me if they fell into a wildcard spot are the obvious ones: Cleveland, Buffalo, NY Jets, Chicago, Detroit, etc. Of that lot, I can only see maybe Detroit even getting anywhere near it.

Biggest Disappointment : you mean, other than Philly right? Houston.

There’s no chance that the Giants are going to be selecting number 1 in next years draft unless they trade with a poor team in the season...

The Giants were not competitive last season in the majority of games and yet still won 3 games. And that was with a Head Coach completely losing the dressing room and causing unrest.

With a stable front office and coaching staff, as well as the talent pool, Giants will be picking 10-20th next year. Not expecting a deep playoff run, but better football and certainly upward progress

2 hours ago, r4derby said:

There’s no chance that the Giants are going to be selecting number 1 in next years draft unless they trade with a poor team in the season...

The Giants were not competitive last season in the majority of games and yet still won 3 games. And that was with a Head Coach completely losing the dressing room and causing unrest.

With a stable front office and coaching staff, as well as the talent pool, Giants will be picking 10-20th next year. Not expecting a deep playoff run, but better football and certainly upward progress

I have no doubt that you’re right beyond the immediate term. I really don’t think the Giants will collapse either but, one of the problems with being in, traditionally, the strongest Division in the NFL is that, if you’re off-the-pace, you can really get whacked around. Your win-loss record, therefore, suffers more than it otherwise would if you were from another Division.

NB: I will just point out that I didn’t say that NYG would be wining the #1 pick. Logically, my statement says they’ll be no worse than the third worst and there are easily 3-4 teams far worse than NYG on top the two other NY sides.

I just think it’s fascinating that the three NY State franchises are at relative low points, all at the same time.

3 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

I have no doubt that you’re right beyond the immediate term. I really don’t think the Giants will collapse either but, one of the problems with being in, traditionally, the strongest Division in the NFL is that, if you’re off-the-pace, you can really get whacked around. Your win-loss record, therefore, suffers more than it otherwise would if you were from another Division.

NB: I will just point out that I didn’t say that NYG would be wining the #1 pick. Logically, my statement says they’ll be no worse than the third worst and there are easily 3-4 teams far worse than NYG on top the two other NY sides.

I just think it’s fascinating that the three NY State franchises are at relative low points, all at the same time.

To be fair, the NFC in general appears to be very strong. The NFC East is an interesting one as no one knows if the Eagles can repeat, what the Cowboys are going to look like or if the Redskins are going to compete. The other 3 NFC divisions all have 2 or 3 real contenders.

I reckon the Giants will win 7-9 games this year, which will be pretty good in a loaded NFC but not enough for playoffs