Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

People who say about comedians who they don't like 'he/she just isn't funny'

If people laugh at them then they're funny.

Comedy is 100% subjective so what you mean is that you don't find them funny.

And why we're at it, how did somebody capable of the genius that was Black Adder get to also be the pitiful Mr Bean.

Mr Bean just isn't funny. 

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Should be asking why songwriters feel the need to swear in the first place.

If you want to convey strong feelings there are plenty of other adjectives out there.

307853F8-2C10-4F58-9D08-52F5C61D4A7A.jpeg

i disagree, lyricists need to express themselves without restraint.  Some curse words have taken up a meaning all their own, particularly when used in certain contexts.  Repeating the use of a particular curse word in a lyric should be avoided though IMO, as is also the case with any other non offensive word.

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

Shop assistants who say 'See you later'. Are we meeting up later? 

"enjoy..." when serving drinks or food

Obviously it's easier than "I hope you enjoy your meal" but it always feels like a command (for both sides) rather than a pleasantry.

Edited by Coconut

4 hours ago, Miggins said:

I'm new to all this so haven't had the time to scroll through all the previous pages but I bet I'd agree with most of them. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but are motorists getting lazier about acknowledging courtesy? It may be a legal requirement to let joining traffic gradually filter in, but when you indicate to the vehicle in the slip lane that you are giving way to them and they are safe to pull out, surely a raised hand is a polite and friendly gesture?

Also, younger people starting sentences with the word 'So' when they reply to a question. Where on earth did that come from?

So… people who can’t be arsed reading through 280 pages before posting… just lazy! 

16 hours ago, nottingram said:

People who bump into your parked courtesy car and drive off without leaving a note, when you only have a courtesy car because someone bumped into your parked actual car and drove off without leaving a note.

By now you should know to leave a pen and notepad when you park up ?

On 10/07/2021 at 18:09, Bob The Badger said:

And why we're at it, how did somebody capable of the genius that was Black Adder get to also be the pitiful Mr Bean.

The early episodes of Mr Bean are good...specially the Exam and Library scenes. I've noticed that all age groups in the family enjoy the series...from my parents to youngest nephew. The films were overkill though. I liked Black Adder 1 and 4.

Edited by TimRam

On 10/07/2021 at 14:42, Anag Ram said:

Should be asking why songwriters feel the need to swear in the first place.

If you want to convey strong feelings there are plenty of other adjectives out there.

307853F8-2C10-4F58-9D08-52F5C61D4A7A.jpeg

Nice 'strong feelings' pic.

On 10/07/2021 at 19:44, rynny said:

I always say see you later. Good bye to me feels like an end, never to be seen again.

I think it's an abbreviation of God be with you. Both sound equally ominous now that you've mentioned it! I usually say 'bye!  Oh, what a minefield! ?

On 26/01/2021 at 14:36, Tyler Durden said:

Delivery drivers who throw your parcel over next doors gate when they are on holiday for a week. Leaving item totally saturated from the rain. Delivery drivers who leave parcels outside your front door in broad daylight.

Royal Mail postal workers who forget to post cards through your door to advise that your collection is waiting at the local sorting office. And then use the excuse that they had run out of cards. Royal Mail postal workers who put cards through your door with the wrong sorting office address on it incurring a 15 mile round trip for no reason.

Dog owners who allow their dogs to roam off the leash in public parks which quite clearly state dogs need to be on leads at all times who then chase and  harass innocent runners. Dog owners who don't clear their pets mess up or dispose of correctly.

Fly tippers.

Workmen who arrange to come round to your house then don't show up without any warning. 

Middle lane motorway hoggers.

Agree! How rude, especially when you have been waiting in for them. We had this problem. We needed a bathroom cabinet putting up, grouting doing, an over-bath shower installing and a glass shower screen putting in. Three firms said they were interested, made an appointment and never showed up. Then a Polish guy phoned from Nottingham and he did a brilliant job for far less than we had budgeted. Needless to say he received a generous tip!

Edited by Miggins

On 15/07/2021 at 16:08, Miggins said:

Delivery drivers who leave an expensive, hardback book outside the front door in the rain to ensure that it resembles papier mache by the time you find it! We were both in, two cars in the drive and in a 2-up, 2-down house you can hear anyone at the door no matter where you are. In their defence I'm told by a family member that the schedule for some of these drivers is very punishing. 

On 10/07/2021 at 18:09, Bob The Badger said:

Definitely down there with Mr Blobby and Last of the Summer Wine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2021 at 17:08, Miggins said:

I'm new to all this so haven't had the time to scroll through all the previous pages but I bet I'd agree with most of them. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but are motorists getting lazier about acknowledging courtesy? It may be a legal requirement to let joining traffic gradually filter in, but when you indicate to the vehicle in the slip lane that you are giving way to them and they are safe to pull out, surely a raised hand is a polite and friendly gesture?

Also, younger people starting sentences with the word 'So' when they reply to a question. Where on earth did that come from?

You do realise Curtains posts on this thread, don't you? 

When food is just mixed together for no reason apart from to look fancy on a menu.

Horseradish or mustard mash being a particular pet hate of mine.

Don't they realise that a lot of people don't like mustard or horseradish?. Offer it on the side if people want the flavour.

Sausages smeared in syrup or french mustard

Any lovely recipe made and then the plate is covered in washing-up-liquid-tasting chopped coriander.

Stop it.