Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

14 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Codswallop, that's like saying we should be OK being called 'Cricket'.

County is not a name our fans call our club, it has no frame of reference with our team and hasn't in the 50+ years I've been following them. I can't think of a single time when a fan, song, manager or player has referred to the team as 'County'. The only time it is used is by journalists or (normally teenage) YouTubers who know nothing about us except that we have a two word title. So it riles me up not because of the word but because whoever uses it hasn't taken more than a few cursory moments to understand anything about us as a club.

I don't see the benefit of using it. It is longer to write, same syllables, and leaves open to be other clubs, there is only 1 Derby but 3 other Countys. 

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

What pub was that? 

I used to live in a village called Pensford, just outside of Bristol. 

The pub was the Traveller's Rest and Ray was the landlord. 

His son told us that one early summer's evening a delightful foursome happened upon the pub and wandered in. 

The chaps ordered two pints of lager for themselves and two half pints of the same lager for their good ladies. 

They were the only people in the pub. They chatted gaily for twenty minutes or so then returned to the bar and said 'same again please.'

He stared at them and said 'What do you think I am, a f+++ing mindreader?' 

Ah, the ambience! 

Just now, Anag Ram said:

His son told us that one early summer's evening a delightful foursome happened upon the pub and wandered in. 

The chaps ordered two pints of lager for themselves and two half pints of the same lager for their good ladies. 

They were the only people in the pub. They chatted gaily for twenty minutes or so then returned to the bar and said 'same again please.'

Ah, the ambience! 

The reason i asked is my Dad was a landlord, and when called mate/pal/geezer/chief etc, he’d stop in his tracks and say “my name is John, not mate”, and wait for them to ask for their pint again! ?

One Christmas, someone said “pint of carling please youth”! To my stepmum, I’ve never seen my did flid out so much. I was in bits. 

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Ah, the ambience! 

There are two type of pub landlord, those who do it because they want to and those who do it because they have no choice. I think we know which one Ray was.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

The reason i asked is my Dad was a landlord, and when called mate/pal/geezer/chief etc, he’d stop in his tracks and say “my name is John, not mate”, and wait for them to ask for their pint again! ?

One Christmas, someone said “pint of carling please youth”! To my stepmum, I’ve never seen my did flid out so much. I was in bits. 

I saw him refuse to serve someone who wouldn’t take their crash helmet off and he threw out some youfs for buying too many crisps and not enough beer.

He would wander past us and say with a smile ‘I know I’m a miserable old bugger!’

4 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

There are two type of pub landlord, those who do it because they want to and those who do it because they have no choice. I think we know which one Ray was.

He’d actually had a successful career as an engineer and decided to see himself through to retirement as a landlord. We had some great chats with him. He was just stubborn. 

Our son takes karate lessons.  He was supposed to take the test to achieve his black belt permanently when the Covid situation began, but that was postponed for a year.  It's been almost a year without any karate classes and now there is a new season with fees due.  We got nothing from our previous payment, zip, nada, not one class and now they expect us to pay the full fee, because sadly they are not in a position to reduce the fees, for they have kept their teachers on full pay doing nothing.  We are supposed to understand their situation, but they have no empathy towards us not getting anything for our money.

17 minutes ago, ramit said:

Our son takes karate lessons.  He was supposed to take the test to achieve his black belt permanently when the Covid situation began, but that was postponed for a year.  It's been almost a year without any karate classes and now there is a new season with fees due.  We got nothing from our previous payment, zip, nada, not one class and now they expect us to pay the full fee, because sadly they are not in a position to reduce the fees, for they have kept their teachers on full pay doing nothing.  We are supposed to understand their situation, but they have no empathy towards us not getting anything for our money.

You want to give them the chop

My next thing that irks me is also a grammatical one. This time it is tautology. A tautology is an expression or phrase that says the same thing twice, just in a different way, for example “a round circle”. For this reason, a tautology is usually undesirable, as it can make you sound wordier than you need to be, and make you appear foolish.  It’s best to choose just one way to state your meaning and eliminate the extra and unnecessary verbiage.

common tautological examples include:-

a new innovation, evening sunset, an added bonus, an over-exaggeration, personally I think....., a short summary, in close proximity, a necessary requirement, sad misfortune, a hot water heater and so on 

You can also have logical tautologies, as with the phrase “You’re either hungry or you’re not.” “to be or not to be” These kinds of tautologies are self-cancelling. In other words, the sentence is always true since it includes both possibilities.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

You want to give them the chop

Believe me, i want to, but my son comes first, this means too much to him and it's important that he experiences overcoming obstacles to reach his objectives and win a little personal victory.  There are no other karate schools here teaching the same method and these creeps know it.  i will swallow my pride.

11 minutes ago, ramit said:

Believe me, i want to, but my son comes first, this means too much to him and it's important that he experiences overcoming obstacles to reach his objectives and win a little personal victory.  There are no other karate schools here teaching the same method and these creeps know it.  i will swallow my pride.

Shame they didn't find some online training sessions. My old sensei was doing online yoga sessions and they seemed to go down well. 

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

Shame they didn't find some online training sessions. My old sensei was doing online yoga sessions and they seemed to go down well. 

To be fair, they did have three or four online training sessions, so my claim of getting nothing was perhaps exaggerated.  Online training is useful for those in their first years of karate, but at the stage my son is at, he needs the classes and contact exercises and bouts.  A black belt means proficiency in self defence, that cannot be achieved by doing some routines in the bedroom.  No short cuts and if they offer that to him unprepared this spring there will be harsh words spoken.

Local news outlets employing not local people and letting them on air without briefing them of the proper way to pronounce things when you live in the area.

Examples being the constant references to "Keddlestun" Road on Radio Derby and what I've just heard on ITV news central "AllStree" woodlands school

..and people from the place or with the name Cockburn trying to pretend it's Coh Burn... nope, it's rooster BURN, just accept it and learn to appreciate the comedy value instead of coming across like Hyacinth Bucket.

10 hours ago, ramit said:

Then belt up.....

(that's a silly pun btw - I'm not really telling you to shut up).

Delivery drivers who throw your parcel over next doors gate when they are on holiday for a week. Leaving item totally saturated from the rain. Delivery drivers who leave parcels outside your front door in broad daylight.

Royal Mail postal workers who forget to post cards through your door to advise that your collection is waiting at the local sorting office. And then use the excuse that they had run out of cards. Royal Mail postal workers who put cards through your door with the wrong sorting office address on it incurring a 15 mile round trip for no reason.

Dog owners who allow their dogs to roam off the leash in public parks which quite clearly state dogs need to be on leads at all times who then chase and  harass innocent runners. Dog owners who don't clear their pets mess up or dispose of correctly.

Fly tippers.

Workmen who arrange to come round to your house then don't show up without any warning. 

Middle lane motorway hoggers.

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Workmen who arrange to come round to your house then don't show up without any warning. 

I hate having to have someone round to do some work.

Builders, plumbers, electricians etc.

When they come it seems hard work getting a quote, the number of times I've had people come and promise to send a quote, then dont. I don't mind if you don't want my business,  but tell me.

Then when you get someone to do a job, the amount of times they tell you a time and date and aren't there on time. 

Then when they do work they miraculously manage to find a hidden issue doubling the cost but you cant not pay as they wait until everything Is half completed before they tell you. 

Edited by Sith Happens