Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

On 16/12/2020 at 05:00, Steve How Hard? said:

Adverts that use text on the screen and mimic the sound of a keyboard when the text is being wrote. 

I can't explain why but the sound really grates on me and I find myself scrambling for the mute button whilst cursing and swearing. Usually to the amusement of my partner too. 

Er... dont watch the Ripper documentary on Netflix ?

Delivery drivers who don't know their way around!

We had Fishcakes, potatoes, and mushy peas for tea last night, then 2 hours later, there was a short sharp rap at the door.  Upon reacting, I found a car driving away at speed, and an abandoned package on the doorstep.  I didn't know whether to call social services or the bomb squad!

Upon further (and extremely brave, under the circumstances!) investigation, it turned out to be what appeared to be a rather fine looking kebab.  And all this in the first and only year where we have taken it upon ourselves to avoid takeaways.  (We haven't had a single one since March, when previously, twice a week was the norm!)  Oh how I dream of takeaways!

I didn't know whether to turn to prayer, to thank The Lord for such a fine gift at this time of giving and sharing, or cry my eyes out at the irony!  I took the latter option, and it went in the bin, untouched, once we realised the dizzy driver wasn't coming back for it. 

I hope the intended recipients got their replacement in good time!

I never slept a wink!  So close, yet so far!

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

We had Fishcakes, potatoes, and mushy peas for tea last night, then 2 hours later, there was a short sharp rap at the door.  Upon reacting, I found a car driving away at speed, and an abandoned package on the doorstep.  I didn't know whether to call social services or the bomb squad!

Upon further (and extremely brave, under the circumstances!) investigation, it turned out to be what appeared to be a rather fine looking kebab.  And all this in the first and only year where we have taken it upon ourselves to avoid takeaways.  (We haven't had a single one since March, when previously, twice a week was the norm!)  Oh how I dream of takeaways!

I didn't know whether to turn to prayer, to thank The Lord for such a fine gift at this time of giving and sharing, or cry my eyes out at the irony!  I took the latter option, and it went in the bin, untouched, once we realised the dizzy driver wasn't coming back for it. 

Write to the sun, put a sad face on and claim it 'ruined christmas' ?

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

It was the Donor Kebab....

GMTV calling the writer of 'We built this city on sausage rolls' an absolute genius. 

Really? Notwithstanding his Forest allegiance, it is such an annoying song. My 8 year old comes up with more genius ideas for a song every day. 

The fact he has turned into an annual, rehashing event of genius-ness is grating as hell. 

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

GMTV calling the writer of 'We built this city on sausage rolls' an absolute genius. 

Really? Notwithstanding his Forest allegiance, it is such an annoying song. My 8 year old comes up with more genius ideas for a song every day. 

The fact he has turned into an annual, rehashing event of genius-ness is grating as hell. 

absolute genius, not sure how he finds these songs with rock n roll in the lyrics then cleverly inserts sausage roll in its place?  Perhaps we should get him advising Boris as all the other experts are

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I was singing it 17 years ago when I was an 18 year old that was new to drinking ?‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the bank to exchange a few kilos of coins for bills.  Took the slip of paper from the counting machine to the teller to get my cash, but was asked to show my driver's license and i asked why and was told it was required by the relevant ministry (housinge).  After a bit of a squabble, as i do enjoy a hearty bout of eye to eye arguing i had to grudgingly give in.  Moaned all the way out the door, mind you.  Not to be dissuaded from my now holy crusade of it being nobody's business who i am when exchanging coins for cash, i called the ministry to demand an explanation.  A courteous and patient lady explained to me that it was for my protection, but when i told her that i didn't need their protection or see how this requirement had any personal protective value, she gave in and admitted that it was to fight money laundering.  How are you going to trace hundreds of coins back to where they were distributed, i inquired, but got no response, except for a thank you for your call, have a nice day.

Apparently, even my cash isn't good enough in some places anymore though.  Domino's Pizza refused to accept it in exchange for a pizza, demanded a card which i am not legally required to possess and of course i told them so, adding that i was using legal currency and that they had no right to refuse to accept it.  No card, no pizza was the annoyed reply i got from the vacant eyed teen facing me, adding Covid something or other.  Yes, i moaned all the way to the door, clasping at my pizza. 

Found out my neighborhood pizza maker is quite a bit better and accepts cash, so bye bye Domino's.

Edited by ramit
typo

I’m currently without broadband. My speed suffered at tea time, dropping to 0.7mbps until after midnight. Having had decent service from Vodafone for a few years, I thought they’d jump at the chance to satisfy my requirements and solve the problem. 

after 6 weeks of faffing about, including receipt of their new router, my speeds still suffered. Streams on SkyQ stopping mid-flow “please wait for more to Download”! 

The worst however was the sheer contempt with which I was treated. Luckily for me, accepting a new router triggered a new contract, and with it, a 14 day cooling off period. 

a week into having the new router, I called Vodafone to get it sorted. I was told to plug ethernet directly from router to laptop so they could run tests. I do not have ethernet port on my laptop! When I said I couldn’t do this, their response was “well we are not going to do anything further then”. What a shocking attitude! 

Anyway, I cancelled and am now awaiting new provider to install. 

Went to Boots for a pre-arranged flu jab last Sunday.

The chemist was a lovely chap but explained that my wife and I needed a pen and had to fill in our personal details across two pages of A4.

When we had finished he told us to wait whilst he inputted our information onto his computer. 

We are in 2021, right?

On 13/01/2021 at 10:52, Anag Ram said:

Went to Boots for a pre-arranged flu jab last Sunday.

The chemist was a lovely chap but explained that my wife and I needed a pen and had to fill in our personal details across two pages of A4.

When we had finished he told us to wait whilst he inputted our information onto his computer. 

We are in 2021, right?

We did similar before Xmas.
Confirmed the appointment (Lloyds chemist) and each filled in the forms on line, at home.  Then they re-arranged the appointment for us to go to a different branch.  When we arrived and the form got mentioned, they said their system didn't allow for accessing the form from the original branch, so we had to sit and do it all again on our phones (with the option for pen and paper if needed), before we could have the jab!

Hey Postie.

I appreciate you are up against it at the moment.  I appreciate it's cold, wet and windy out there, but you are still getting through, and delivering our bills to ensure we don't get cut off.  It really is appreciated.
I also appreciate you are not our usual postie, and that maybe you are not from round these parts.

But seriously dude... SHUT THE DUCKING GATE on yer way out, will yer!

#bangingallnight

52 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Hey Postie.

I appreciate you are up against it at the moment.  I appreciate it's cold, wet and windy out there, but you are still getting through, and delivering our bills to ensure we don't get cut off.  It really is appreciated.
I also appreciate you are not our usual postie, and that maybe you are not from round these parts.

#bangingallnight

And whilst you're listening Postie, stop walking over my lawn just because it gives you a quicker route to next door. The path is there for a reason!

3 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

And whilst you're listening Postie, stop walking over my lawn just because it gives you a quicker route to next door. The path is there for a reason!

What is it with people, postmen or any delivery driver that turn up that thinks its ok to walk over the lawn full stop? There is a perfectly good path use that, i know its going to take you 5 seconds more but use it.

I dont mind as much in summer when the ground is firm.

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Hey Postie.

#bangingallnight

Lucky bugger but what's that gotta do with your gate? 

Aberrant apostrophes!  The problem seems to lie in people’s inability to recognise that there are only two possible uses for apostrophes – one being to show ownership of something – a possessive apostrophe and the other to denote a letter (or letters) left out of a word. This is known as a contraction or abbreviation apostrophe.

examples - possessive apostrophe would be “the player’s socks” meaning the socks belonging to one player. If you are referring to the socks of many players you simply make a plural by adding an s to player and add the apostrophe so it would be “the players’ socks. 

an abbreviation apostrophe would be “the player’s left the club” in this case the word “has” has been left out and replaced by an apostrophe.

It’s true things can get slightly more complicated with words and names that already end in an ‘s’ but for a singular word ending in ‘s’ we just add ’s – as in “the boss’s complaint”. Though it can be permitted to just add an apostrophe eg “the boss’ complaint

Granted things are more difficult with “it’s” which is an example of an abbreviation apostrophe meaning “it is” but the possessive example is “its” so we have “it’s a great stadium and its pitch is perfect”.

See? Simple really. Once a damn teacher, always a teacher

19 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Aberrant apostrophes!  The problem seems to lie in people’s inability to recognise that there are only two possible uses for apostrophes – one being to show ownership of something – a possessive apostrophe and the other to denote a letter (or letters) left out of a word. This is known as a contraction or abbreviation apostrophe.

examples - possessive apostrophe would be “the player’s socks” meaning the socks belonging to one player. If you are referring to the socks of many players you simply make a plural by adding an s to player and add the apostrophe so it would be “the players’ socks. 

an abbreviation apostrophe would be “the player’s left the club” in this case the word “has” has been left out and replaced by an apostrophe.

It’s true things can get slightly more complicated with words and names that already end in an ‘s’ but for a singular word ending in ‘s’ we just add ’s – as in “the boss’s complaint”. Though it can be permitted to just add an apostrophe eg “the boss’ complaint

Granted things are more difficult with “it’s” which is an example of an abbreviation apostrophe meaning “it is” but the possessive example is “its” so we have “it’s a great stadium and its pitch is perfect”.

See? Simple really. Once a damn teacher, always a teacher

People putting apostrophes for plurals always grates on me.