Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

Licence. So often spelt wrongly.   It’s very simple. The noun is “a licence”.  The verb is “to license”. (Unless you’re American when it is “license” for both)

similarly it’s “a practice” for a noun and “to practise” for a verb (again, unless you’re American when it’s “practice ” for both, rather confusingly as it’s different from their rule for “license”. 

20 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Just even having to think that a greedy obnoxious man elephant may become our next manager.

Piers Morgan ?

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

I hope this doesn’t offend anyone on here but this fad for having double barrelled names in the organisation I work in is beginning to boil my you-know-what.

It strikes me as pretentious and unnecessary, that is all...for now.

Sone women don't want to give up their maiden name. How's that pretentious or unnecessary?

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sone women don't want to give up their maiden name. How's that pretentious or unnecessary?

So a double barrelled person marries another double barrelled person are they now  quadruple barrelled couple, by the third generation of them you are upto 32 names. 

Good luck filling in your passport forms!

19 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I hope this doesn’t offend anyone on here but this fad for having double barrelled names in the organisation I work in is beginning to boil my you-know-what.

It strikes me as pretentious and unnecessary, that is all...for now.

Isn’t it sometimes because some parents aren’t married so the kids take both surnames.

Or some times it’s just two adults getting married and thinking it makes them sound posh.

Feminists love keeping their own surnames too , but still want to be ‘given away’ by the father.

oh dear, I mentioned feminism. 

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Isn’t it sometimes because some parents aren’t married so the kids take both surnames.

Or some times it’s just two adults getting married and thinking it makes them sound posh.

Feminists love keeping their own surnames too , but still want to be ‘given away’ by the father.

oh dear, I mentioned feminism. 

Where I work it seems to be the second option in your post. Maybe it’s because I’m old now and pretty much stuck in my ways but where I come from if a working class lady marries a working class man she takes his surname, been like that for centuries.

This fad of having a double barrelled name is a classic example of wanting your cake and eating it. If my wife suggested keeping her name and adding it to mine she would have got short shrift and if she dished out any ultimatums there would have been no wedding. Besides, Shagwell is a perfectly good name and she’s used to it now.

17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My sister got married in August 2019 and she still hasn't decided whether she wants to keep her maiden name or combine it with her husband's. She definitely doesn't just want to take his name, which I think is perfectly understandable. She's far smarter and tougher than the vast majority of blokes I know.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

My sister got married in August 2019 and she still hasn't decided whether she wants to keep her maiden name or combine it with her husband's. She definitely doesn't just want to take his name, which I think is perfectly understandable. She's far smarter and tougher than the vast majority of blokes I know.

Why get married at all if you don’t want to follow a tradition?

It’s cherry picking parts that you’re happy with I guess.

If she keeps her name, will any off springs have her name or his?

I think cherry picking is quite common tbf, especially in regard to the traditions of the ‘ownership’ of the woman. I suppose at one point it would have been radical to have a marriage out of love, as opposed to social convenience.

As for your question, I guess the kids’ names will double-barrelled. I don’t think she’s really that arsed.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think cherry picking is quite common tbf, especially in regard to the traditions of the ‘ownership’ of the woman. I suppose at one point it would have been radical to have a marriage out of love, as opposed to social convenience.

As for your question, I guess the kids’ names will double-barrelled. I don’t think she’s really that arsed.

I see.  But then the internet Karen’s in the playground will assume mum and dad aren’t married if they don’t share the same name on Facebook ?

I see.  But then the internet Karen’s in the playground will assume mum and dad aren’t married if they don’t share the same name on Facebook ?

Hahaha. Thankfully they aren't big social media users, plus they're minted so the surname 'Mackenzie-Purslow' will probably sound chavvy at their kids' school.

Expecting a parcel.

Tracking says Amazon one stop away.

Look out window, white van parks outside, takes parcel next door--ooh goody we're next

Van driver on phone, no action. Assume we're not on his van. 2 hrs later AA van shows up. Lots of banging, passenger seat out, more banging , driver doing nothing.

Another Amazon van shows up--oooh goody. No! He goes away.

After another hour original driver rings bell, says sorry and goes off. 3 hours to walk 20ft up our drive!

22 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Where I work it seems to be the second option in your post. Maybe it’s because I’m old now and pretty much stuck in my ways but where I come from if a working class lady marries a working class man she takes his surname, been like that for centuries.

This fad of having a double barrelled name is a classic example of wanting your cake and eating it. If my wife suggested keeping her name and adding it to mine she would have got short shrift and if she dished out any ultimatums there would have been no wedding. Besides, Shagwell is a perfectly good name and she’s used to it now.

Mrs Shagwell-Ram has a certain descriptive elegance to it. 

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Expecting a parcel.

Tracking says Amazon one stop away.

Look out window, white van parks outside, takes parcel next door--ooh goody we're next

Van driver on phone, no action. Assume we're not on his van. 2 hrs later AA van shows up. Lots of banging, passenger seat out, more banging , driver doing nothing.

Another Amazon van shows up--oooh goody. No! He goes away.

After another hour original driver rings bell, says sorry and goes off. 3 hours to walk 20ft up our drive!

Just be glad he went in for driving and not brain surgery.