Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

So...So is the new Umm!

A professor of something useless was on telly; gave it a fancy name but apparently it serves two purposes:

1 Signals we are about to speak

2 Gives us time to formulate our words

No I just think people hear it said and it catches on subconsciously. It’s not used as means of making time to think what to say because there’s no gap between “so” and the statement. You hear it a lot in interviews on tv and radio. It’s a fairly recent phenomenon. Last 5 years?

and interestingly your first line re “umm”. Apparently older people like me tend to say “er” and younger people tend to say “um”. 
Always found language and the changes in meanings and pronunciation fascinating

People who use “disinterested” when they mean “uninterested”. The two do not mean the same thing.
Disinterested means impartial or unbiased. 
But to confuse matters thanks to the vagaries of the English language the noun of “Disinterested” is “disinterestedness” while the noun of “uninterested” is “disinterest”. 

phew, need to lie down now for a bit

2 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

People who use “disinterested” when they mean “uninterested”. The two do not mean the same thing.
But to confuse matters thanks to the vagaries of the English language the noun of “Disinterested” is “disinterestedness” while the noun of “uninterested” is “disinterest”. 

200.gif

2 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

phew, need to lie down now for a bit

tenor.gif?itemid=11990772

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Solicitors... still taking the absolute effing pee. No chain, 14 weeks and counting with no agreed completion date. All searches done, mortgage agreements completed, buyers deposit paid to their solicitors... contracts still not exchanged.

They make Matt Hancock look competent. 

Yikes! We are in rented accommodation waiting to move back to the UK simply because we sold our house in 2 weeks and from offer to us moving out was only 4 weeks. We actually wanted to drag it on longer but couldn't make it happen.

Morrisons... sort your effing receipts out at the fuel pumps!

Averaging once a week, x the last 8 weeks... gel up... glove on... pay at pump... then need to faff about gelling up again, donning a mask, and entering a shop I should have absolutely no need to enter, putting both myself and others (in the shop) at risk, all because the pump failed to print the receipt (Company car/credit card, so the accountant likes a receipt).

T055er5!

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Morrisons... sort your effing receipts out at the fuel pumps!

Averaging once a week, x the last 8 weeks... gel up... glove on... pay at pump... then need to faff about gelling up again, donning a mask, and entering a shop I should have absolutely no need to enter, putting both myself and others (in the shop) at risk, all because the pump failed to print the receipt (Company car/credit card, so the accountant likes a receipt).

T055er5!

Just write the amounts on some slips of paper and hand them to the accountant and then say- "Sorry pal, diesel have to do."

On 27/09/2020 at 23:04, neil62uk said:

When people ask the obvious  just for the sake of speaking  and their response is just as daft as the question they've asked 

Examples  being ....

On a night out ... Hello what you doing here  ... Or  fancy seeing you here ..!!!

Is it cold or is it me ...!!!

Your unfortunate to have broken a part of your torso and a plaster cast is showing  WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ...!!!!

You see someone you know in Drs surgery you can guarantee THEY,LL SAY ..HELLO ARE YOU ALRIGHT ..!!!

My G/Fs. classic   Are you asleep Neil ...?  I was until you woke me up ..!!!

A knock on the door ...I wonder whom that is ...!!!! 

Someone as passed away  you pass on the sad information  to a friend  their reply  I WAS ONLY TALKING TO HIM A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO ..!!

Whilst in a restaurant  you've taken the first bite ... waitresses comes across and says IS YOUR MEAL ALRIGHT SIR ...!!!!

The list is endless and could carry on ...but the GF as just asked me if I'm watching the TV  as my head is burried in my phone on the Derby forum ?

Sounds like she wants some attention - you need to buck your ideas up

22 hours ago, ramit said:

People who write exactly the same thing, when the same thing means the same thing

Yeah, and those people who have to reword things, even though the rewording means effectively the same as the original thing.

• 2 weeks later...

A lovely citizen of society today threatened to hurt me and the missus. Chap was a passenger in I'm guessing a work skip wagon. The vehicle was an inch away from hitting my car and others parked on the road and I shouted to warn the driver just to watch it mate and slow it down. A chap came out and squared up to me on the street and gave me every insult in his small vocabulary. I laughed in his face, didnt give it him back. He soon scurried off back to the wagon. 

I can't believe some idiots threatening to hurt other people over absolutely nothing. 

• 2 weeks later...