Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

19 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Morons who think they are the arbiter of such things

Holding a knife like a pen is an affectation used by some people but it is functionally poor.  A knife is to cut things, you need to apply force to the blade. Penning it is inefficient and bad handling of a tool. It isn’t arbitery it’s practical. You don’t hold your steering wheel with your feet. So there with brass knobs on ?

On 29/07/2019 at 09:03, FindernRam said:

Well I hate beaches, only wear shorts when it reaches 40 degrees and have no knee length socks.

Last time I went sockless, after endless nagging from wife and daughter I got blisters on top of my foot, got stung by an Italian bee and was lucky not to lose a toe from the ensuing infection

So I'm not taking style advice from anyone anymore. Comfort everytime! OLD GUYS RULE!

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Always, see my post about 6 up: Last time I went sockless, after endless nagging from wife and daughter I got blisters on top of my foot, got stung by an Italian bee and was lucky not to lose a toe from the ensuing infection...

What's the thing with this "Italian bee" you keep going on and on and on about*?

How the bloody hell do you know it was Italian?  Are you sure it wasn't just over there on it's holiday? 
Hey, you could have even taken it over inadvertently yourself, in your suitcase!  It could have been a bloody Findern bee! 

Enough now, already!  

*Well ok, you only mentioned it twice, but no more... please!  We get it... You holiday in Italy!  Nice!  ;-)  

I haven't been on here much since the season ended, so my post while waiting for Monday's game can be a rant.

I was out watering the hanging baskets yesterday during the brief spell of sunshine we enjoyed. We sometimes get kids on bikes passing by or parents taking children to and from nursery, but other than the peak times like that it's pretty quiet. @ramsbottom might know some of the delights who walk down Wilmot Street and area.

I was walking back towards the back gate when I saw two kids no older than 10 on bikes. One had a can of coke and after finishing it, just lobbed it onto the road which I hate. I walked over and asked him to pick it up and he looked at me at told me to "duck off" before biking away.

I would have been slapped for saying that as a youngster! Even if my dad wasn't around I'd still be terrified of coming home to him just knowing I'd said it.

He just didn't care at all. I was stewing about it for the next hour...

18 minutes ago, sawley_ram said:

I haven't been on here much since the season ended, so my post while waiting for Monday's game can be a rant.

I was out watering the hanging baskets yesterday during the brief spell of sunshine we enjoyed. We sometimes get kids on bikes passing by or parents taking children to and from nursery, but other than the peak times like that it's pretty quiet. @ramsbottom might know some of the delights who walk down Wilmot Street and area.

I was walking back towards the back gate when I saw two kids no older than 10 on bikes. One had a can of coke and after finishing it, just lobbed it onto the road which I hate. I walked over and asked him to pick it up and he looked at me at told me to "duck off" before biking away.

I would have been slapped for saying that as a youngster! Even if my dad wasn't around I'd still be terrified of coming home to him just knowing I'd said it.

There is a massive lack of general respect in society from children compared to when I was young and I'm only in my forties. Had a situation 2017 when I arrived home in the snow to find three kids having a snowball fight on my garden .  They were with there parent's who told me on my rather forceful complaint that they were just kids having fun .   Feral parent's and the lack of allowed discipline in society for fear of said feral parent reaction will only make this worse as time go's on . My cousin is headmaster at an infant's school and say's they have an increasing influx of 5 year old's who have to be taken the toilet when they start school as they don't know how to clean themselves with toilet paper . Society is broken .

12 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There is a massive lack of general respect in society from children compared to when I was young and I'm only in my forties. Had a situation 2017 when I arrived home in the snow to find three kids having a snowball fight on my garden .  They were with there parent's who told me on my rather forceful complaint that they were just kids having fun .   Feral parent's and the lack of allowed discipline in society for fear of said feral parent reaction will only make this worse as time go's on . My cousin is headmaster at an infant's school and say's they have an increasing influx of 5 year old's who have to be taken the toilet when they start school as they don't know how to clean themselves with toilet paper . Society is broken .

Indeed. I live over the road from a playing field. All the time I see dads kicking a football about with the kids but scrolling on the phone, so taking no notice of the children. Mums pushing toddlers on swings whilst browsing on the phone and the toddlers shouting ‘mummy, look at me, watch me’ and the mothers on the phones ignoring them. Very sad, no wonder they are growing up doing exactly what they want. 

The best (true) story I heard was from my Dad growing up in the early '60s. He was messing around with his mates and threw a conker or a stone or something at an ice cream van window. The owner got out, grabbed him by his shirt collar and took him round to his house where my Grandmother was at home! Rather than shout at him for touching precious Tommy and do a post on Facebook as many would do now, she took him inside out of sheer embarrassment, apologised profusely and he had to stay in for 2 weeks. Grandad paid for the damage. 

I'm only 28 myself but having been brought up by fairly strict (but never violent) parents born in the early 1950s, I suppose I had a different upbringing.

Agree totally on the phone issue too. See it all time -- Mum pushing the pram with one hand on the handle, the other on the phone ignoring the inquisitive questions of their children. So glad I grew up (just) before phones were everywhere like they are now. 

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Skanks breeding skanks.

Everything is someone elses responsibility.

Sith Happens
4 hours ago, sawley_ram said:

If you had made more of an issue you would probably have skanky parents banging on your door too.

15 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Skanks breeding skanks.

Everything is someone elses responsibility.

19 hours ago, sawley_ram said:

19 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

. Society is broken .

here's a great story for you; just unpalatable on any level

A DRUNKEN British husband and wife have been cuffed while trying to fly out of Gibraltar with their kids.

The man, 54, and woman, 53, were arrested yesterday evening on charges of being intoxicated whilst in charge of a child.

you can find the full story elsewhere but this is one link

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2019/07/29/intoxicated-british-couple-arrested-and-their-three-young-kids-taken-into-care-before-flight-from-gibraltar/

couple were from Hailsham UK

On 30/07/2019 at 15:26, Ewe Ram said:

Indeed. I live over the road from a playing field. All the time I see dads kicking a football about with the kids but scrolling on the phone, so taking no notice of the children. Mums pushing toddlers on swings whilst browsing on the phone and the toddlers shouting ‘mummy, look at me, watch me’ and the mothers on the phones ignoring them. Very sad, no wonder they are growing up doing exactly what they want. 

I always see a few pushing kids around while yakking into phones. I always wonder, what are they talking about? If they are anything like the women at work, it's Love Island!

Edited by TimRam

9 minutes ago, TimRam said:

I always see a few pushing kids around while yakking into phones. I always wonder, what are they talking about? If they are anything like the women at work, it's Love Island!

On 30/07/2019 at 18:37, sawley_ram said:

The best (true) story I heard was from my Dad growing up in the early '60s. He was messing around with his mates and threw a conker or a stone or something at an ice cream van window. The owner got out, grabbed him by his shirt collar and took him round to his house where my Grandmother was at home! Rather than shout at him for touching precious Tommy and do a post on Facebook as many would do now, she took him inside out of sheer embarrassment, apologised profusely and he had to stay in for 2 weeks. Grandad paid for the damage. 

I'm only 28 myself but having been brought up by fairly strict (but never violent) parents born in the early 1950s, I suppose I had a different upbringing.

Agree totally on the phone issue too. See it all time -- Mum pushing the pram with one hand on the handle, the other on the phone ignoring the inquisitive questions of their children. So glad I grew up (just) before phones were everywhere like they are now. 

On 30/07/2019 at 15:26, Ewe Ram said:

Echo the sentiments here. Too many parents dont understand the priviledge and responsibility of having children though. As someone who will never have them myself, I find it absolutely appalling. Society is broken and its not donald trump, jeremy corbyn or anyone elses fault. We need to take responsibility for our actions and raise kids with principles, values and morals

Watchorn island coming from the A38 northbound, I always use the right lane off the slip road to exit to alfreton, but always am cut up by people in the left lane wanting to go the same way. What lane should you use?? I've always seen it as two lanes; left lane turn left only, right lane to turn left (second lane) and right towards swanwick. HOW SHOULD IT WORK AHHHH

image.thumb.png.02b040732b19b7da3d87dfeae9f31aaa.png

13 hours ago, NewtonRamDE55 said:

Watchorn island coming from the A38 northbound, I always use the right lane off the slip road to exit to alfreton, but always am cut up by people in the left lane wanting to go the same way. What lane should you use?? I've always seen it as two lanes; left lane turn left only, right lane to turn left (second lane) and right towards swanwick. HOW SHOULD IT WORK AHHHH

Without knowing the roundabout in question, my observations would be:

You can use the left lane (Red) to go straight across on most roundabouts, unless marked.

Which would actually bring you into conflict with other road users if you did what you do.

2 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Without knowing the roundabout in question, my observations would be:

You can use the left lane (Red) to go straight across on most roundabouts, unless marked.

Which would actually bring you into conflict with other road users if you did what you do.

Left lane for all exists up to and including straight on

right lane for all exists after and including straight on

On 30/07/2019 at 10:47, jono said:

Don’t worry, hair is grey and boring, no tats or metal work in body.... and I’m not an influencer ?

the thing about socks and sandals is .. why wear foot coverings designed to let your feet see the open air and then put socks on. 

Its like going to the park on a rainy day wearing white jeans 

In the paper today is a picture of Teresa and Philip May on holiday. A perfect example of why old blokes should not go sockless, (or wear skinny jeans)!

22 hours ago, NewtonRamDE55 said:

I'm not convinced there even is a right and wrong in this instance.
For those not aware/familiar with this junction, immediately after exiting the roundabout, left lane is for Matlock, or over to the right for Alfreton (As you are obviously aware).

The problem is the first sign to indicate this (Painted arrow on the road surface) is about 15/20m after exiting the roundabout, which leaves approx. 150m (max!) to get into the right hand lane if you want to continue to Alfreton.  Staying hard left means you are stuck in the left filter for Matlock.

I always approach in the left lane, and immediately signal right as I leave the roundabout (but not too early as to make anyone think I am continuing around the roundabout).  So I move over (to the right) within that 150m or so... although I'd like to think I've never "cut someone up" by doing so.

My colleague always takes your route... right hand lane on the slip road A38 exit, and indicate left as he enters the roundabout, thus heading straight into the right hand lane to Alfreton, after leaving the roundabout.  That's fair enough for anyone who knows the layout, but for a stranger, being guided by a satnav for instance, turning left off the roundabout would instinctively sit you in the left hand lane throughout the approach to, and exit from, the roundabout.  Only then are you aware you need to shoot over to the right for Alfreton, with very little time/distance to do so!