Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

Drivers who can't be bothered to indicate, especially at roundabouts, idiots who walk across the road in front of you while looking at their phones, and then give you a dirty look when they realise you could have knocked them down, using the word off instead of of, loose instead of lose and forest instead of butt plugs ggrrrrr

People who don't know the difference between less and fewer.

Or rather my pedantic brain and how annoying it is when I get lazy and fall into the same trap, so have to immediately correct myself even though it really doesn't bloody matter if someone says "Chelsea scored less goals than Arsenal last season" rather than "Chelsea scored fewer goals than Arsenal last season"!

Back to the roads, special mention to the incredibly stupid young woman on a bicycle at the Mickleover Court Hotel roundabout, completely oblivious to her surroundings and the possibility of there being cars on the road, who seemed to think it appropriate to dawdle about crossing over / blocking the exit (taking the route shown) so slowly that I actually had to stop and wait where the red car is below for 5 seconds for her to get out of the way...

67146840_10219893174900798_2457210653295

Edited by Coconut

39 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Or rather my pedantic brain and how annoying it is when I get lazy and fall into the same trap, so have to immediately correct myself even though it really doesn't bloody matter if someone says "Chelsea scored less goals than Arsenal last season" rather than "Chelsea scored fewer goals than Arsenal last season"!

Shove up for another one in pedant's corner.....

A pet hate of mine is when people say "revert back". Revert already means to reply back, so adding another "back" jarrs to me like a double negative.

3 hours ago, Coconut said:

Back to the roads, special mention to the incredibly stupid young woman on a bicycle at the Mickleover Court Hotel roundabout, completely oblivious to her surroundings and the possibility of there being cars on the road, who seemed to think it appropriate to dawdle about crossing over / blocking the exit (taking the route shown) so slowly that I actually had to stop and wait where the red car is below for 5 seconds for her to get out of the way...

And right there is the perfect example of the Brit mindset (Authorities mainly, but the drivers too!).

That green arrow would have been replaced with red (or green) tarmac in many, many locations in France & Belgium (and quite possibly elsewhere on the continent?).

The cyclist would have had priority along that red route.
The motorist would have been legally bound to give way, despite exiting a roundabout.
The driver under those conditions loses any frustrations, as it's considered the norm... just like red traffic lights, zebra crossings, buses blocking the road at bus stops, level crossings etc.
The cyclist stays alive.

Hey, don't get me wrong... I'm not defending her apparent lack of surroundings, or her alleged unrushed manner. 
Of course, she'd be well advised to look over her right shoulder, clearly signal her intentions, and to not hang about in carrying out those intentions... if only to keep herself alive!

But let's not forget, assuming she's in the correct lane... the same lane as you... and ahead of you... she does have right of way, and does have right to take the line suggested.  She is no more "in your way", than you are "an impatient driver".

5 seconds lost.
Or:
A precious 5 extra seconds to take in an extra relaxed breath of air, feel the sunshine on one's flesh, and celebrate being alive and able. 

We can all make that choice!

Oh...and before you ask...95% motorist, 5% cyclist!

Edited by Mucker1884
Added a brackety bit... Just remembered... I think it's red tarmac in Belgium, green in France, to denote the cycle lane... which carries the priority.

4 hours ago, Coconut said:

I live just off this roundabout and see some truly atrocious driving, mostly people who have pulled out from the left not realising I was very close to them where the red car is.

5 hours ago, Coconut said:

This example falls into the realms of being very petty

5 hours ago, Coconut said:

They'll score even lesser this season!  ;-)

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

But let's not forget, assuming she's in the correct lane... the same lane as you... and ahead of you... she does have right of way, and does have right to take the line suggested.  She is no more "in your way", than you are "an impatient driver".

5 seconds lost.
Or:
A precious 5 extra seconds to take in an extra relaxed breath of air, feel the sunshine on one's flesh, and celebrate being alive and able. 

We can all make that choice!

Oh...and before you ask...95% motorist, 5% cyclist!

What are you dribbling on about? You assume wrong, and if you think this was a case of me being 'an impatient driver' you're talking complete and utter baalocks. Quite the opposite, it's only because I was alert and not rushing that she didn't end up in a nasty accident. I'm not bothered about losing 5 seconds, I'm bothered about people acting stupidly putting themselves in the path of danger by not having a ducking clue what they're doing and having no road sense & potentially implicating me in a serious incident.

I'm not talking about someone road trained, disciplined, in cycling gear and with protection I'm talking about someone ambling about with no care in the world who hasn't even looked at the traffic on an island before pulling out.

We're not in Belgium or France. It isn't a cycle lane,, so you've really got no point there.

She wasn't ahead of me, she came from my left, from the hatched area (which isn't a lane, and which she has no business being in) and pulled out on a car already on the roundabout. She wasn't already covering the exit as I approached, she rode in front of / across a car indicating to turn left

She shouldn't have been where she was, plain & simple.

Edited by Coconut

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

What are you dribbling on about? You assume wrong, and if you think this was a case of me being 'an impatient driver' you're talking complete and utter baalocks. Quite the opposite, it's only because I was alert and not rushing that she didn't end up in a nasty accident. I'm not bothered about losing 5 seconds, I'm bothered about people acting stupidly putting themselves in the path of danger by not having a ducking clue what they're doing and having no road sense & potentially implicating me in a serious incident.

I'm not talking about someone road trained, disciplined, in cycling gear and with protection I'm talking about someone ambling about with no care in the world who hasn't even looked at the traffic on an island before pulling out.

We're not in Belgium or France. It isn't a cycle lane,, so you've really got no point there.

She wasn't ahead of me, she came from my left, from the hatched area (which isn't a lane, and which she has no business being in) and pulled out on a car already on the roundabout. She wasn't already covering the exit as I approached, she rode in front of / across a car indicating to turn left

She shouldn't have been where she was, plain & simple.

Firstly, the main point of my post was to point at that here in Britain, we don't give the same consideration and priorities to cycling/cyclists as they do over there.  There, the cycle lane would have cut across the path of the traffic, and taken priority.  So yes, I 100% agree with you... we ain't in France or Belgium!  That was the point I was trying to make, and the point of my little dig at the authorities over here, (and even smaller dig at drivers)!  I meant "I wish we could be more like them, and treat cyclist with a lot more tolerance and understanding"!

Secondly, I hadn't noticed any hatched areas at first look, so apologies for missing that from the photo.  The photo-shopped green line doesn't help when trying to establish the road markings, but yes, having now taken a closer look, I do see things a little clearer.  Apologies again!
Nor was I there, so wasn't aware exactly how the situation panned out, what direction she came from, whether she was ahead of you or not (although one would naturally assume so, if you were stopped from advancing?).  I only had your initial brief/less detailed description to go on, remember. 
You also made it appear (in my opinion) that the 5 second delay was considered by you as a negative, hence my ramblings about all things being bright and beautiful!  I now see you were not one bit bothered by this delay, so yet again, I owe you an apology for my initial misunderstanding.

Thirdly, you appear to have been riled by my post, and appear somewhat aggressive in your response.  Now if I were the type to make assumptions, I could perhaps wonder whether such a response could be replicated whilst you were driving... Such assumptions may also lead me to believe you are a complete numpty behind the wheel... but I'm not, so I don't!  I'm more prone to imagine we could meet up at the match some day... purely coincidentally of course... and become lifelong friends!

Either way, congratulations on doing exactly what you were trained to do, in avoiding a collision with the cyclist.
There are many obstacles put in our way out there on the road, and we can only hope we all manage to steer clear of danger, as sometimes skill alone is not enough.
We've all been there.  The world is full of numpties!

If this works (Dashcam Video below... fast forward to 1:10), here is an example where I too managed to avoid someone that "shouldn't have where he was, plain and simple"... I didn't feel the need to rant, be that at the time, or indeed on the internet some time thereafter.
(If it doesn't work, then my final apologies of the post.  I'm not sure I have the skills to post a personal video on here!)

Happy motoring, my friend.

FF to 1min 10secs...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bSR6zuzCNGYUaCic8

Edit:

Not embedded, but I think the link works?

Edited by Mucker1884

Anyway, here's another example of me being alert and patient.

It's happened to me more than once but fewer than three times on the roundabout at the top of Lara Croft Way. It's people in the right hand (wrong) lane cutting across me in the left to go down Burton Road.

First time it happened I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the and since then I've always kept an eye out for any idiot trying to do it again -  the 2nd time I could see them trying to get the jump on me so very patiently waited for them to make their move before I bothered to even creep forward.

67348311_10219895445997574_1840693653010

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Thirdly, you appear to have been riled by my post, and appear somewhat aggressive in your response. 

------

I didn't feel the need to rant, be that at the time, or indeed on the internet some time thereafter.

1) I felt your intiial post was a little aggressive tbh, I didn't like being accused of being in the wrong, hence the reactive post. No harm done.

2) Yeah, but that's what this entire thread is for! I wasn't angry at the time, or now, just a little exasperated at the cyclists stupidty and thought how differently and how much worse it could have turned out if was another driver or hadn't spotted her.

The dashcam link just appears to be about 5 second loop of a cyclist riding on the pavement,, unfortunately.

@Mucker1884 and @Coconut. I’ve not wasted my life reading more than a line of your posts on this topic. But from the tiny bits that I’ve picked up, it sounds like the most boring spectacle I’ve ever witnessed. And I’ve seen some crap 0-0 draws in my time.

Chill out and have a beer or a Dark Fruits. It’s Friday and football is back tomorrow.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

14 minutes ago, Coconut said:

1) I felt your intiial post was a little aggressive tbh, I didn't like being accused of being in the wrong, hence the reactive post. No harm done.

2) Yeah, but that's what this entire thread is for! I wasn't angry at the time, or now, just a little exasperated at the cyclists stupidty and thought how differently and how much worse it could have turned out if was another driver or hadn't spotted her.

The dashcam link just appears to be about 5 second loop of a cyclist riding on the pavement,, unfortunately.

1/ Aggressive is not in my nature, so apologies if that's how my post came across.

2/ Yeah... actually you're right... this is the place for a moan and a rant.  I forgot where I was!  LOL!

I think you need to click the vid.  It then goes full screen and a full 5 min video.  It works for me, and I made sure I was logged out of my account doodah.  FF to just after a minute... it's nothing exciting, but yet another examples of numpties with no road sense or spacial awareness!

Enjoy your weekend... I'm off to see what Old BurtonRam is waffling on about now... no doubt it includes spending some "me time" in enclosed spaces and drinking perfumed rose water!  :-)

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

@Mucker1884 and @Coconut. I’ve not wasted my life reading more than a line of your posts on this topic. But from the tiny bits that I’ve picked up, it sounds like the most boring spectacle I’ve ever witnessed. And I’ve seen some crap 0-0 draws in my time.

Chill out and have a beer or a Dark Fruits. It’s Friday and football is back tomorrow.

I'm not going to see the bloody football though because I'm working 10:30-18:00 at the bloody Alex/Brunswick beer festival!

3 hours ago, McRamFan said:

I lived in states for a while, live with it.

You mean 'the States', surely? Or are you saying that you exist somewhere between solid and liquid in some sort of plasma flow?

As for where you live, couldn't give a tinker's cuss.