Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

2 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Need some advice about my next door neighbour. I've tried talking to them without any success, they're some of the rudest people I've come across.  Their lack of respect and courtesy is really awful. In normal times I wouldn't be bothered, people are allowed to have fun and play their music at a weekend. I wouldn't be stuck in the house all the time and neither would they. It's frustrating for everyone. I can't get my head around why they would blast music out to the early hours though when everybody is stuck at home. If the social distancing wasnt in place, I'd ask the neighbour next to them if they have any issues with this. It's driving me nuts. A lack of understanding for everyone else who had to adhere to these rules too.

I hate confrontation at the best of times, I've tried my best to keep the peace. They're a right nightmare though.

I think the local council is your first port of call. Tell them you have tried by asking them. 

Good luck. It sounds awful. 

6 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Need some advice about my next door neighbour. I've tried talking to them without any success, they're some of the rudest people I've come across.  Their lack of respect and courtesy is really awful. In normal times I wouldn't be bothered, people are allowed to have fun and play their music at a weekend. I wouldn't be stuck in the house all the time and neither would they. It's frustrating for everyone. I can't get my head around why they would blast music out to the early hours though when everybody is stuck at home. If the social distancing wasnt in place, I'd ask the neighbour next to them if they have any issues with this. It's driving me nuts. A lack of understanding for everyone else who had to adhere to these rules too.

I hate confrontation at the best of times, I've tried my best to keep the peace. They're a right nightmare though.

If they're a tenant then you should contact their landlord to complain, if not then as previously suggested contact your local council. If you've tried to reason with them then you quite rightly should escalate it now.

I would keep notes of all the times and dates and occurrences of the noise pollution as evidence so the council have something to work on rather than heresay.

Just one word of advice, before you do the above I would casually inform your neighbour that if the situation isn't addressed then you'll be forced to take this course of action, not as a threat but to give them fair advance if what's coming as things could start to become even more unpleasant after that.

Another grammatical one that is faintly annoying this time involving comparative expressions of the prefix ‘more’ and the suffix ‘er’.  You often see some incorrect examples such as 

His cat is more large than my dog.(wrong)

His cat is larger than my dog. (Correct)

There are a few basic rules that make it easy to tell when you should add ‘er’ or (ier) and when you should use ‘more’  

For adjectives that are just one syllable, add -er to the end (big and bigger, green and greener, fat and fatter, loud and louder etc)

For two-syllable adjectives not ending in -y and for all three-or-more-syllable adjectives, use the form “more + adjective.” (Exciting and more exciting, humid and more humid,)

For two-syllable adjectives ending in -y, change the -y to -i and add -er. (Funny and funnier, muddy and muddier)

2 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Another grammatical one that is faintly annoying this time involving comparative expressions of the prefix ‘more’ and the suffix ‘er’.  You often see some incorrect examples such as 

His cat is more large than my dog.(wrong)

His cat is larger than my dog. (Correct)

There are a few basic rules that make it easy to tell when you should add ‘er’ or (ier) and when you should use ‘more’  

For adjectives that are just one syllable, add -er to the end (big and bigger, green and greener, fat and fatter, loud and louder etc)

For two-syllable adjectives not ending in -y and for all three-or-more-syllable adjectives, use the form “more + adjective.” (Exciting and more exciting, humid and more humid,)

For two-syllable adjectives ending in -y, change the -y to -i and add -er. (Funny and funnier, muddy and muddier)

Another grammatical one, incorrect use of punctuation. ?

Who on earth says things like “his cat is more large than my dog”?

Our fine city, and our even finer football team begin with a capital... "Derby"!

Same goes for all the other towns, villages, and cities around the world, and even the horse races!

A sporting contest between two local teams is however, a little bit different.  A bit like this... "Derby".

Just sayin'.  Dunt really matter... to some, it seems! 

Seethe, grrrr, rant etc. 

There’s two things in this world that once they’re in place it’s practically impossible to move. One is a 500 tonne piece of rock. The other is two women walking next to each other on a pavement. If I had a quid for every time I had to move into the road to avoid the ignorant bints I’d be a very well off bloke!!! 

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

There’s two things in this world that once they’re in place it’s practically impossible to move. One is a 500 tonne piece of rock. The other is two women walking next to each other on a pavement. If I had a quid for every time I had to move into the road to avoid the ignorant bints I’d be a very well off bloke!!! 

Even worse when there is no road to step into to maintain a polite distance.  Not all trails and public footpaths are across open fields.
Some people remain oblivious to others.  Even a 2m+ wide Lane/track is narrow, when confronted by a family spread out across it's width, all side by side!

#considersinglefile

8 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Had exactly the same on Saturday except two older blokes. 

Ignorance isn't confined to any particular age or gender.

52 minutes ago, angieram said:

Ignorance isn't confined to any particular age or gender

You are right but certain gender traits are obvious: 

Picture this scene: You and wife visit friends (remember that!), after a convivial chat mainly split on gender lines, men on beer and footy, women on someone not there, one of the women will say "must go!". So we all stand up, put our coats and drift to the door. Except the women haven't moved they are on to something else for 20 minutes! Happens every time.

Then, when we get home they are on the phone to our host to say thanks for a lovely time for another half hour. 

36 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

You are right but certain gender traits are obvious: 

Picture this scene: You and wife visit friends (remember that!), after a convivial chat mainly split on gender lines, men on beer and footy, women on someone not there, one of the women will say "must go!". So we all stand up, put our coats and drift to the door. Except the women haven't moved they are on to something else for 20 minutes! Happens every time.

Then, when we get home they are on the phone to our host to say thanks for a lovely time for another half hour. 

I'll counter you with a night out in the pub. At the end of the evening,  ladies go to loo, gather their belongings, put coats on etc. Men sit chatting in warmth of pub.

Once whole party outside, men suddenly decide they need to go to loo after all, leaving all women waiting outside on pavement while they disappear back inside! Happens every time.