Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

18 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

It's all in the cooking. Cooked properly, it's fantastic.

Aubergine Parmigiano (I probably make this once a fortnight, assuming the bloody aubergines aren't all stuck in Calais)...

Aubergine Parmigiano

Ingredients – tomato base

• ·        1 onion, finely chopped
  • ·        2 cloves garlic (1 teaspoon crushed garlic)
  • ·        1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • ·        0.5 teaspoon dried basil
  • ·        1 bay leaf
  • ·        0.25 teaspoon dried cinnamon
  • ·        0.25 teaspoon red chilli powder
  • ·        1 dessert spoon plain flour
  • ·        4 fl oz red wine
  • ·        400 g chopped tomatoes
  • ·        1 dessert spoon tomato puree
  • ·        Aubergine cut into 0.5 cm slices
  • ·        olive oil for frying
  • ·        250 g Maris Piper potatoes
  • ·        Mozzarella cheese, sliced
  • ·        Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
  • ·        Sea salt & freshly-ground black pepper

Method – tomato base

• ·        Fry onion, garlic, chilli for 10 minutes, stirring continuously
  • ·        Add wine
  • ·        Stir in flour, add a good pinch of salt and pepper, the cinnamon, oregano, bay, basil and stir.
  • ·        Add tomatoes, and tomato puree. Stir, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for a further 10 minutes until sauce has thickened.
  • ·        While simmering, prepare aubergines as follows:
    • o   Place aubergine slices in colander
    • o   Sprinkle with 1 dessert spoon of salt
    • o   Set aside for 10 minutes
    • o   Rinse aubergine thoroughly in cold water
    • o   Pat dry with clean tea towel
    • o   Paint aubergines with olive oil both sides
    • ·        Fry aubergines for 2 or 3 minutes each side. Add more oil if required.
    • ·        Remove from wok, place slices on dry kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
    • ·        Cook potatoes in boiling water for just 5 minutes. Place in colander, cool under running cold water.
    • ·        Cut potatoes into slices.

Method – Construction and cook

• ·        Layer half the tomato sauce, aubergines, potatoes (in that order)
  • ·        Add a layer of Mozzarella
  • ·        Repeat sauce, aubergines and potatoes (plus any leftover Mozzarella)
  • ·        Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • ·        Bake for around 50 minutes at gas mark 5

On 20/01/2021 at 20:53, Eddie said:

The person seemingly buying all the aubergines at Tesco is really trying my patience. I tend to buy one or two a week for when I want to make moussaka, aubergine parmigiana, brinjal bhaji and the like, but for some strange, completely unfathomable reason, they have been unobtainable for the last three weeks.

Sorry to be boring but I’m guessing it’s to do with the whole coronavirus stuff and the ports getting backed up? There’s a lot of foreign produce unavailable or in limited quantity at the minute.

Aye, humour seems to have taken a back seat lately, if it ain’t people hell bent on showing us how clever they are, it’s people trying to trip you up and score points.

Contrary Mary -: ”Can you post a link to that statement please” ?

Me -: “No duck off and find it yourself you lazy twit, you only want to argue the toss anyway” ?

Edited by Pearl Ram

On 21/01/2021 at 20:27, Eddie said:

Aubergine Parmigiano (I probably make this once a fortnight, assuming the bloody aubergines aren't all stuck in Calais)...

Aubergine Parmigiano

Ingredients – tomato base

• ·        1 onion, finely chopped
  • ·        2 cloves garlic (1 teaspoon crushed garlic)
  • ·        1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • ·        0.5 teaspoon dried basil
  • ·        1 bay leaf
  • ·        0.25 teaspoon dried cinnamon
  • ·        0.25 teaspoon red chilli powder
  • ·        1 dessert spoon plain flour
  • ·        4 fl oz red wine
  • ·        400 g chopped tomatoes
  • ·        1 dessert spoon tomato puree
  • ·        Aubergine cut into 0.5 cm slices
  • ·        olive oil for frying
  • ·        250 g Maris Piper potatoes
  • ·        Mozzarella cheese, sliced
  • ·        Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
  • ·        Sea salt & freshly-ground black pepper

Method – tomato base

• ·        Fry onion, garlic, chilli for 10 minutes, stirring continuously
  • ·        Add wine
  • ·        Stir in flour, add a good pinch of salt and pepper, the cinnamon, oregano, bay, basil and stir.
  • ·        Add tomatoes, and tomato puree. Stir, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for a further 10 minutes until sauce has thickened.
  • ·        While simmering, prepare aubergines as follows:
    • o   Place aubergine slices in colander
    • o   Sprinkle with 1 dessert spoon of salt
    • o   Set aside for 10 minutes
    • o   Rinse aubergine thoroughly in cold water
    • o   Pat dry with clean tea towel
    • o   Paint aubergines with olive oil both sides
    • ·        Fry aubergines for 2 or 3 minutes each side. Add more oil if required.
    • ·        Remove from wok, place slices on dry kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
    • ·        Cook potatoes in boiling water for just 5 minutes. Place in colander, cool under running cold water.
    • ·        Cut potatoes into slices.

Method – Construction and cook

• ·        Layer half the tomato sauce, aubergines, potatoes (in that order)
  • ·        Add a layer of Mozzarella
  • ·        Repeat sauce, aubergines and potatoes (plus any leftover Mozzarella)
  • ·        Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • ·        Bake for around 50 minutes at gas mark 5

LOVELY

I am lucky enough to have quality aubergine readily available.  Also ours do not require the salting and draining which does make an big difference to the meal.  I will have a go at this during the week.  There's a bar in Granada that does them very thinly sliced in super hot oil.  Best crisps in the World and not greasy in any way

Just now, Spanish said:

LOVELY

I am lucky enough to have quality aubergine readily available.  Also ours do not require the salting and draining which does make an big difference to the meal.  I will have a go at this during the week.  There's a bar in Granada that does them very thinly sliced in super hot oil.  Best crisps in the World and not greasy in any way

great with the local Alhambra beer

When people buy rear wheel drive cars and then get a flat tyre and then get stuck/stranded in the snow on the little hill up from Markeaton to Kingsway, then they wait two hours for the very nice man, the very very nice man from the AA to arrive and pump up the flat tyre so they can crawl home and have that poo they’ve been desperately waiting for since 3pm! 

me... btw

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Being called mate, love, darling, duck, duckie....to a lesser degree boss or chief.

Living in Nottingham this happens a lot. 

Depends on the sort of person saying 'love', 'darling', 'duck' or 'duckie'. Kelly Brook don't mind, a bloke...I mind.

Edited by TimRam

20 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

When people buy rear wheel drive cars and then get a flat tyre and then get stuck/stranded in the snow on the little hill up from Markeaton to Kingsway, then they wait two hours for the very nice man, the very very nice man from the AA to arrive and pump up the flat tyre so they can crawl home and have that poo they’ve been desperately waiting for since 3pm! 

me... btw

Getting stuck in snow on the way home form work is a nightmare. Those random five hour 15 mile journeys. 

42 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

People with driveways that still use the road as a public car park.

People with garages that still use their driveway...

People with garages who have 4 cars between 2 adults and don't put a single one of them in the garage, so instead use the road and footpath to make the Close resemble the start of the Gumball Rally.

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Being called mate, love, darling, duck, duckie....to a lesser degree boss or chief.

Living in Nottingham this happens a lot. 

We used to have a pub landlord who out-ruded Basil Fawlty.

If anyone called him mate, chief, squire, pal etc he simply wouldn’t serve them and would move on to the next person. Made us regulars laugh and cringe at the same time.

4 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Derby fans getting riled up about us being referred to as "County".

We were formed out of the County Cricket Club and the team represents Derbyshire, not just the City of Derby. So suck it up, it's part of the clubs identity.

Codswallop, that's like saying we should be OK being called 'Cricket'.

County is not a name our fans call our club, it has no frame of reference with our team and hasn't in the 50+ years I've been following them. I can't think of a single time when a fan, song, manager or player has referred to the team as 'County'. The only time it is used is by journalists or (normally teenage) YouTubers who know nothing about us except that we have a two word title. So it riles me up not because of the word but because whoever uses it hasn't taken more than a few cursory moments to understand anything about us as a club.

17 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We used to have a pub landlord who out-ruded Basil Fawlty.

If anyone called him mate, chief, squire, pal etc he simply wouldn’t serve them and would move on to the next person. Made us regulars laugh and cringe at the same time.

What pub was that?