Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

Why do professional footballers nearly always control a rolling ball with the underside of their boot?

I would naturally use my instep or the toe edge ...but now they always do this action where they roll their studs over the ball and kinda flick it forwards. My kids do it now and it drives me mad. 

7 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Why do professional footballers nearly always control a rolling ball with the underside of their boot?

I would naturally use my instep or the toe edge ...but now they always do this action where they roll their studs over the ball and kinda flick it forwards. My kids do it now and it drives me mad. 

Control with studs means you're facing forwards and can easily go left or right. Use your instep and you're facing sideways and options are immediately reduced.

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

3 main channels showing some fella from another country being sworn in

That's a side effect of one of my pet hates; the British media's obsession with the USA. I think it was Bill Bryson who said that you'd think that the US was roughly where France was given the coverage it gets in this country. Other countries aren't like that. It's particularly noticeable during hurricane season. Every year we get breathless coverage of business owners boarding up windows in Florida or Louisiana because a storm's on its way. Why is that news here!? It's thousands of miles away, it happens every year, and the advancing storm has usually already flattened half of the Caribbean.

Rant over.

The person seemingly buying all the aubergines at Tesco is really trying my patience. I tend to buy one or two a week for when I want to make moussaka, aubergine parmigiana, brinjal bhaji and the like, but for some strange, completely unfathomable reason, they have been unobtainable for the last three weeks.

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The person seemingly buying all the aubergines at Tesco is really trying my patience. I tend to buy one or two a week for when I want to make moussaka, aubergine parmigiana, brinjal bhaji and the like, but for some strange, completely unfathomable reason, they have been unobtainable for the last three weeks.

Click and Collect Sir. 

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

no politics Eddie!

TV announcers, reporters etc who insist people are brave who had no choice with their actions.

Sullen Hamburger or whatever his name was who landed that plane on the Hudson in New York wasn't being brave, he was trying to save his own life.

Now, if he'd been offered the chance to get out and without anybody knowing he'd ever been there had politely refused, that would have been brave.

Mr Hamburger may well be brave, but his actions weren't.

And whilst I'm at it, the aforementioned media calling people who were (or maybe weren't) brave, plucky.

Oh, and any British cook in a British kitchen in Britain talking to a British chef where none of them are fluent in French and weren't classically trained in France and where the only time they ever went to France was to take the kids to EuroDisney, saying 'Oui Chef'

Cut it out you sound like a pretentious Bamford. 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

TV announcers, reporters etc who insist people are brave who had no choice with their actions.

Sullen Hamburger or whatever his name was who landed that plane on the Hudson in New York wasn't being brave, he was trying to save his own life.

Now, if he'd been offered the chance to get out and without anybody knowing he'd ever been there had politely refused, that would have been brave.

And whilst I'm at it, the aforementioned media calling people who were (or maybe weren't) brave, plucky.

Oh, and any British cook in a British kitchen in Britain talking to a British chef where none of them are fluent in French and weren't classically trained in France and where the only time they ever went to France was to take the kids to EuroDisney, saying 'Oui Chef'

"Cut it out you sound like a pretentious Bamford." 

Unlike you I suppose 

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

There are different types of bravery. You could argue he took a brave decision to ignore the air traffic controllers and rely on his experience and judgement.

I would also add he was the last person out after checking the plane was empty.

59 minutes ago, sage said:

There are different types of bravery. You could argue he took a brave decision to ignore the air traffic controllers and rely on his experience and judgement.

I would also add he was the last person out after checking the plane was empty.

Well, I thought it was clearly tongue-in-cheek, but you seem to think I'd call a guy Sullen Hamburger and then proceed to write something serious. I'll try some emojis for you next time.

Although having said that, it actually his job to let the passengers off first, he's trained to do that. He'd have been in a lot of trouble if he'd legged it first.

Remember the Italian Costa Cruise ship captain who not only sunk his ship, but after hitting whatever it was, nipped off the boat sharpish 7 or 8 years ago? He got over 15 years largely because he left the ship in front of the passengers.

@Hathersage Ram ouch, that hurts.