Sign in to follow this  
Angry Ram

Cake Gate

Can't remember this being a topic on here, apologies if it was, a quick search did not bring anything up.

This goes to appeal today.. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43955734

Surely it is their right not to make this cake? I work in a service industry and can still turn work away that does not fit my business. And that is before the religious angle is introduced.

I do have some sympathy for the bakers but, for me, it comes down to the question: Would it have been OK for them to refuse to make the cake for a black/jewish/muslim couple? Religious beliefs cannot over-rule the law IMO.

They should have just done what any normal person would have done: Have a couple of extra ingredients in there - phelgm/laxatives

7 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Surely it is their right not to make this cake? I work in a service industry and can still turn work away that does not fit my business. And that is before the religious angle is introduced.

At the risk of offending some people, it is absolutely their right not to make the cake. 

Free speech is a two way street and sometimes the consequence of such freedom is you might get offended from time to time.

It is absolutely their right not to make the cake and to hold the views they hold, no matter how reprehensible others may find it.

If people don't like it, they have the right not to buy cakes from them.

Its a tough one.

If you are providing a service to the public then surely you have to expect sometimes you might have to do things or serve people you dont want to.

If they had a restaurant would they refuse to serve food to a gay couple?

I think provided its not something illegal etc then you just get on with it.

That said, I am sure they arent the only cake makers in Belfast. I tend to think most people would walk away grumbling and relaying the story to friends, but just find somewhere else that will do the job they want.

They should have just said they were too busy. If their seething hatred of gays was so overwhelming that they had to explain why they didn't want to make it then I have little sympathy

That said, it's a business and they should have a right to refuse work without having to explain why

7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Its a tough one.

If you are providing a service to the public then surely you have to expect sometimes you might have to do things or serve people you dont want to.

It is a tough one and there is the argument that you chose to work in the service industry so serve!

But at the same time, you would not expect a Muslim for example to do something against their faith and you would be labelled a racist if you suggested otherwise - you can't afford rights to one group and deny anothers. 

Rather than make a scene I would have respected their beliefs and gone to another baker.

16 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It is absolutely their right not to make the cake and to hold the views they hold, no matter how reprehensible others may find it.

If people don't like it, they have the right not to buy cakes from them.

I agree with the bold bits and the reason I have some sympathy for them is because I've seen it somewhere that the gay activist customers deliberately chose their business in order to provoke exactly this debate.

It doesn't change the law, though, that you can't openly descriminate against anyone if you're providing a product/service.

They could have just refused the order & said they were too busy or something, without giving the real reason.

Don’t sit on the sidelines, let your voice be heard!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.