New Kits thread

Animal is a Ram

1 hour ago, David said:

Adidas and Nike get a lot of stick for using “templates” but they do kits right, nice and simple. Sponsor is a tad large on the Wolves one but really nice. 

Impossible to design 2/3 kits unique kits for every club around the world from a handful of manufacturers. 

As I understand it, the 'big guns' such as Nike and adidas only deal with the big global clubs and is why they can get bespoke kits depending on what their (the sportswear co.) philosophy is for that cycle. This is solely down to units sold worldwide.

For the smaller 'national' type clubs such as Preston (Nike) and Birmingham (adidas) I believe they go through a sports distribution company and as a result basically have to choose a template kit. The chances of getting a  bespoke kit are slim to none as the sportswear cos are just about the bottom line and shareholder reaction , as such it is (in their eyes) not justifiable to give the 'smaller' clubs the resources needed for a bespoke kit.

Obviously there will be occasional deviations from this for things like historical celebration kits and the like.

I also seem to remember reading a piece that was saying that it's not mega profitable for teh clubs with regard to shirt sales from the 'big boys' which is why a few clubs are looking to go in house like Villa and Bristol. I know when we got promoted in 2007 adidas only wanted the Prem contract with us.

I also believe Umbro is ever so slightly different as Nike purchased them to get the England brand and then got shot, meaning that Umbro is now a smaller sort of more bespoke company, although unfortunately not the same one that was started by the Humphrey Brothers all those years ago.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, David said:

Adidas and Nike get a lot of stick for using “templates” but they do kits right, nice and simple. Sponsor is a tad large on the Wolves one but really nice. 

Impossible to design 2/3 kits unique kits for every club around the world from a handful of manufacturers. 

Hmmmm Adidas kits at WC are awful in my humble. Lettering and numbers angled/squared off look ridiculous. Keep Adidas away from our club please. Kappa would be welcome if Umbro contract isn’t renewed in future. Uruguay kit is impressive 

Archived