Hopes and Fears

Carl Sagan

Hopes and Fears  

210 members have voted

1. 1. If we do make it on Sunday, who do you want in the playoffs?

• Cardiff, to rub Colin's nose in it one more time after they miss out at the death
    • Fulham, who bested us in the regular campaign, but who will be demoralised when their fine run proves not quite enough
    • Villa, because our most recent two-legged playoff against a Steve Bruce team went so well

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/05/18 at 11:29

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

At the risk of derailing my excellent thread, I will say I'm lucky to work and be mates with many of the world's top scientists and popularisers of science - everyone holds Sagan in awe. Sadly I only got to meet him once but he was lovely then and inspired so many future "cosmologists". Where did you hear Neil deGrasse Tyson?

I've lived in Orlando since leaving Matlock in 2006 and he came to talk at the Bob Carr theatre here last November. My wife heard me raving about him and bought tickets. He just seems like an amazing person, a bit like Sagan.

I met most of Derby's top players from about 1974 on, but none match Sagan, so good for you man!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, we're assuming Cardiff go up automatically? Because I'd fancy our chances against Cardiff the most, to be honest.

Out of the two options you gave though, I'd have to say Villa. I'd feel more confident against them given that their form is slightly worse than Fulham's and we have managed to get more points against them in the season. However, I appreciate form and past results kind of goes out of the window in the play offs.

Just now, Paese said:

So, we're assuming Cardiff go up automatically? Because I'd fancy our chances against Cardiff the most, to be honest.

Out of the two options you gave though, I'd have to say Villa. I'd feel more confident against them given that their form is slightly worse than Fulham's and we have managed to get more points against them in the season. However, I appreciate form and past results kind of goes out of the window in the play offs.

Yes I think Cardiff will beat Reading .

I just feel with our forwards firing we can beat anyone over 2 legs. 

I fancy us against Fulham who will be gutted at missing Auto. 

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

Yes I think Cardiff will beat Reading .

I just feel with our forwards firing we can beat anyone over 2 legs. 

I fancy us against Fulham who will be gutted at missing Auto. 

As well as Fulham played at pride park, I seem to remember we gifted them a bit, did a Carson save rebound to their player for one? In the midst of our awful form?

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

As well as Fulham played at pride park, I seem to remember we gifted them a bit, did a Carson save rebound to their player for one? In the midst of our awful form?

Reminded me of a McClaren  Team. 

Cardiff please. On last weeks evidence I have no idea how they could possibly have held on to second for so long. we are better than them in the same way the Boro were better than us. Definitely beatable. 

After that its the lottery, cup final, a one off special with no rules.  As they used to say in Stingray "Anything can happen in the next half hour"

3 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Fears: We bottle it against Barnsley.
Hopes: We don't embarrass ourselves in playoffs. 

Or:

Hopes: We don't bottle it against Barnsley.

Fears: We embarrass ourselves in the playoffs.

I honestly think we'll struggle on Sunday. If the crowd starts to get tetchy, the players' confidence, so recently boosted, may return to previous levels.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

I don't care. I'd just be grateful to be there.

No pressure on Derby, we'd be the least likely out of the four teams to get promoted so need have no fear.

this bit needs to be transmitted to Gary Rowett so we don't end up with 2 LBs and a midfield 3 of Hudds, Ledley and Johnson to show their pace.

Given track record we'll probably end up with Baird back at RWB, an extra DM in George Thorne and play a 3-1-5-1 formation that struggles to reach to edge of our own box.

27 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Or:

Hopes: We don't bottle it against Barnsley.

Fears: We embarrass ourselves in the playoffs.

I honestly think we'll struggle on Sunday. If the crowd starts to get tetchy, the players' confidence, so recently boosted, may return to previous levels.

I am very nervous about Sunday. Barnsley have as much, if not more, to play for. Also I am still haunted by memories of 2015:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32459763

Archived