Local Elections 18

Mafiabob

1 minute ago, sage said:

Derbyshire County Council was highly rated as a well run authority doing well in efficiency tables in the 2000s.

Who drew up the tables? Also has that given them the excuse to slack off for the last 18 years...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Who drew up the tables? Also has that given them the excuse to slack off for the last 18 years...

It was in the 2000 to 2010 era i remember reading about it.

Some independent national organisation. Vaguely remember they were the 2nd most efficient in the country.

Thank god that useless tit of a leader has gone from Derby City Council. The city has so much potential yet the last 10 years when the money has been tight this council have wasted every penny on complete rubbish. The Derby Arena that was supposed to bring international competitions in cycling to the city, however they won’t be because the capacity is too small to host a professional tournament. So what the f was the point? Wasted all that money when 95% of the people of Derby want the assembly rooms to be rebuilt. The heart of the city centre.

Idiotic clueless decisions.

So - the only place the kippers haven't been completely wiped out in the entire country is Derby.

A sorry state of affairs.

No election in my area but it seems a pretty uneventful day really.

Tories have benefitted from UKIP implosion but Labour must be worried that they haven't made gains - even in councils that they've thrown resources at. To fail to make any real impact against a chaotic and deeply divided government has got to be a real concern for them & I expected them to do much better.

They've slipped behind the Tories again in the last National poll I saw a few days ago. Have we reached peak Corbyn?

5 hours ago, ossieram said:

Banwait has gone and his cronies don't have the overall majority that allowed them to do as they pleased, that's got to be a good thing for the city.

I suspect you are right. Although I'm slightly embarassed that Derby is being laughed at for being the only city wth UKIP gains, I'm generally pretty happy with the way it turned out locally

Banwait gone, so the masses have vanquished the demon. He couldn't go on. He'd reached the point of being blamed for everything regardless of whether it was his fault or not.

No overall control, so we get a coalition and maybe some sensible consensus decisions will prevail. A Tory-led council would have been even more disastrous for the city IMO.

My local Labour councillor retained her seat - which she deserved to do. Privately I know that a lot of Labour councillors will be glad to no longer be under the reign of Banwait

I hope that we all get behind the city now in a positive way. The Banwait-era has brought so much negativity, I'm sick of people talking Derby down. We all play our part. Let's do this Derby!

8 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Bye Bye Bainwait!! Good riddance..... only one in the country to lose his seat to a UKIP candidate 

5 hours ago, ossieram said:

Banwait has gone and his cronies don't have the overall majority that allowed them to do as they pleased, that's got to be a good thing for the city.

2 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Thank god that useless tit of a leader has gone from Derby City Council. The city has so much potential yet the last 10 years when the money has been tight this council have wasted every penny on complete rubbish. The Derby Arena that was supposed to bring international competitions in cycling to the city, however they won’t be because the capacity is too small to host a professional tournament. So what the f was the point? Wasted all that money when 95% of the people of Derby want the assembly rooms to be rebuilt. The heart of the city centre.

Idiotic clueless decisions.

I couldn't be any more anti-Tory if I tried, but Banwait has been the pits. An absolute disaster! At a time when he could've turned the whole of Derbyshire into anti-Tory, he just made a hash of everything. Wasted whatever resource available, and appeared to have totally ignored everyone!

29 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I suspect you are right. Although I'm slightly embarassed that Derby is being laughed at for being the only city wth UKIP gains, I'm generally pretty happy with the way it turned out locally

Banwait gone, so the masses have vanquished the demon. He couldn't go on. He'd reached the point of being blamed for everything regardless of whether it was his fault or not.

No overall control, so we get a coalition and maybe some sensible consensus decisions will prevail. A Tory-led council would have been even more disastrous for the city IMO.

My local Labour councillor retained her seat - which she deserved to do. Privately I know that a lot of Labour councillors will be glad to no longer be under the reign of Banwait

I hope that we all get behind the city now in a positive way. The Banwait-era has brought so much negativity, I'm sick of people talking Derby down. We all play our part. Let's do this Derby!

Well said - time for some grown-up politics and people working for the city.

The UKIP vote is embarrassing, but not actually surprising - Banwait was in a pretty safe Labour ward - unlikely that people there would have switched to Tory or Lib Dem so UKIP were their obvious home - I suspect it may turn red again at the next local election as there was undoubtedly a large protest element in the vote, but we should all be thankful that the voters there put city before politics in this case....

31 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Well said - time for some grown-up politics and people working for the city.

The UKIP vote is embarrassing, but not actually surprising - Banwait was in a pretty safe Labour ward - unlikely that people there would have switched to Tory or Lib Dem so UKIP were their obvious home - I suspect it may turn red again at the next local election as there was undoubtedly a large protest element in the vote, but we should all be thankful that the voters there put city before politics in this case....

was saying exactly this. the vote was to rid us of Banwait not Labour.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, eddie said:

So - the only place the kippers haven't been completely wiped out in the entire country is Derby.

A sorry state of affairs.

Well the UKIP gain was clearly a protest vote against Banwait. Whilst ineveitable, and fully deserved  that Banwait should face such a backlash,  what a shame there wasnt a more ethical home as an alternative for all these protest votes.

Voted Tory for the 1st time ever..... I had my jabs(privately of course)and everythink though so I’m all good 

11 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Voted Tory for the 1st time ever..... I had my jabs(privately of course)and everythink though so I’m all good 

Oh mate..the first rule of being a Tory voter is that you're never supposed to admit it in public!

Boulton ward voting in UKIP to get rid of Banwait is understandable, UKIP are now an entirely irrelevant party so suitable for a protest vote.

UKIP holding onto their seat in Alvaston is disappointing if the "full racist" campaign they've had there (according to chatter about it on twitter) is disappointing. Unless all the other candidates have been eating children or something.

32 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Boulton ward voting in UKIP to get rid of Banwait is understandable, UKIP are now an entirely irrelevant party so suitable for a protest vote.

UKIP holding onto their seat in Alvaston is disappointing if the "full racist" campaign they've had there (according to chatter about it on twitter) is disappointing. Unless all the other candidates have been eating children or something.

My ward mate is Alvaston, not had a knock on the door from anyone..... just leaflets. Alan Graves has been around here for years..... and was once a labour councillor until he left them about 10 years ago, popular bloke round here. 

I love all this slating of UKIP and the remarks about racism. How many of you have met Alan Graves? He is probably the hardest working councillor in Derby and got voted back in because of the way he works for and helps the people of Alvaston no matter what their race. When bin collections are cancelled over Xmas, he organised and helped with rubbish collections in his area for those that needed it, did your councillor do stuff like that?

17 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I love all this slating of UKIP and the remarks about racism. How many of you have met Alan Graves? He is probably the hardest working councillor in Derby and got voted back in because of the way he works for and helps the people of Alvaston no matter what their race. When bin collections are cancelled over Xmas, he organised and helped with rubbish collections in his area for those that needed it, did your councillor do stuff like that?

I think you're spot on. No way Alan Graves would win that vote share if he was some kind of blatant racist. From what I've heard he is a decent guy who cares for his electorate. It's just a shame that he has persisted with UKIP as a party. He could have done just the same standing as an independent and then avoided all the "baggage" that comes with UKIP. There was no need, and it sounds like the party is on the brink of bankruptcy anyway - so he may end up independent anyway

It's local politics - your chance to vote for an ordinary person that makes a difference at grass roots level.

Goes back to what @Joe. said back on Page 4 - in Wales, they have a huge amount of independents that stand and win seats. It would be nice to see more of that in English local politics. People seem pretty sick of "party politics"

23 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I'm not in Derby & have never heard of the man. It looks like he's a decent bloke & very good councillor.

I'm surprised, therefore, that he didn't decide to maximise his chances of success by standing as an Independent, having previously ditched Labour. UKIP is now a toxic "brand" and, to be honest, he should have seen it coming. It looks like it's Alvaston's loss, so that's sad.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Oh mate..the first rule of being a Tory voter is that you're never supposed to admit it in public!

Ah yes the shy Tories. They won elections for John Major and David Cameron.

Archived