Why We're going up

Bob The Badger

I was talking with a friend back in Matlock after I'd struggled to watch the game on ESPN's dubious streaming site here in Florida this afternoon.

I was bemoaning the fact that I thought Villa looked really good and so did Fulham and Boro. The only team I thought we could beat in the play-offs was Cardiff and they are probably going straight up.

I said we needed to do a Huddersfield by staggering into the play-offs and then almost tripping into the Premier League by accident.

He said that things like that never happen to Derby, we have historically been the kings of 'almost'. Whereas other teams have occasional cup upset wins or surging runs to gain promotion we either choke or have valiant losses.

I cannot count the amount of times over the years where we have almost done it going all the way back to Real Madrid when we took a 4-1 lead to the Bernabéu and lost 5-1, and right up to playing QPR off the park at Wembley and losing to THAT goal. You can even throw in the Reading fiasco when we needed a draw and lost 3-0 at home.

Then I said, 'hang on a minute, we have done it, it was in 1972. With Leeds only needing a draw at Wolves and Liverpool needing a win to pass us, neither happened and we were 1st Division Champions'

He laughed and said, 'Yeh great, that was 45 years ago' He then paused and said, ' Hang on a minute 45 years ago, the only time we won the FA Cup was in 1945, it's fate, it's in the stars, this is our frickin' year'

So there you have it. Get ready people, we're heading back into the big time with a Wembley win over Villa!

Well either that, or Barnsley score a 97th minute equalizer to draw with us 1-1 as Preston put 10 past Burton and we miss out on goal difference. 

I think either is as likely as the other.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

LOL, and yes it's 46 years since we won in 1972, so it was obviously a typo.

I'll not edit it, I deserve it for not reading through before hitting post. I can take the grief.

Some of us knew what you meant. 

Just now, Pearl Ram said:

Honestly, wasn’t trying to make you look daft, didn’t even consider a typo. I see where you are coming from now. ?

It wasn't even a typo if truth be known it was just brain fog, lack of concentration and trying to type through the tears of remembering the Real Madrid loss.

I think.....  not sure but:

today in 96 we won promotion with TBE

yesterday in 46 we won the cup

what any of that means I really don’t know. Except, we’re going up!

But yes, we have a proud history with some success. But we have so many  ‘nearly’ moments it’s truly upsetting. All those FA Cup final defeats, away at Real etc etc but..... we had the most amazing night in 72 that maybe we lucked out.

nah, sod that. See you all on 26 May for the ultimate victory 

25 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I was talking with a friend back in Matlock after I'd struggled to watch the game on ESPN's dubious streaming site here in Florida this afternoon.

I was bemoaning the fact that I thought Villa looked really good and so did Fulham and Boro. The only team I thought we could beat in the play-offs was Cardiff and they are probably going straight up.

I said we needed to do a Huddersfield by staggering into the play-offs and then almost tripping into the Premier League by accident.

He said that things like that never happen to Derby, we have historically been the kings of 'almost'. Whereas other teams have occasional cup upset wins or surging runs to gain promotion we either choke or have valiant losses.

I cannot count the amount of times over the years where we have almost done it going all the way back to Real Madrid when we took a 4-1 lead to the Bernabéu and lost 5-1, and right up to playing QPR off the park at Wembley and losing to THAT goal. You can even throw in the Reading fiasco when we needed a draw and lost 3-0 at home.

Then I said, 'hang on a minute, we have done it, it was in 1972. With Leeds only needing a draw at Wolves and Liverpool needing a win to pass us, neither happened and we were 1st Division Champions'

He laughed and said, 'Yeh great, that was 45 years ago' He then paused and said, ' Hang on a minute 45 years ago, the only time we won the FA Cup was in 1945, it's fate, it's in the stars, this is our frickin' year'

So there you have it. Get ready people, we're heading back into the big time with a Wembley win over Villa!

Well either that, or Barnsley score a 97th minute equalizer to draw with us 1-1 as Preston put 10 past Burton and we miss out on goal difference. 

Play offs here we come, you only ever don’t have a chance if your not in them.

Last two games encouraging although I couldn’t help but think today that Villa have Grealish who’s good with the ball and no so good without it and is played from the start whereas we keep our most exciting player in Palmer on the bench. Gary, you don’t have to trust him defensively, trust him offensively and set the midfield up to allow him to play, gotta get at teams. One thing is certain about play offs, one of the teams will have a hangover, need to make sure it’s not us

COYR

2 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

I think.....  not sure but:

today in 96 we won promotion with TBE

yesterday in 46 we won the cup

what any of that means I really don’t know. Except, we’re going up!

But yes, we have a proud history with some success. But we have so many  ‘nearly’ moments it’s truly upsetting. All those FA Cup final defeats, away at Real etc etc but..... we had the most amazing night in 72 that maybe we lucked out.

nah, sod that. See you all on 26 May for the ultimate victory 

I watched the Charlie George interviews on Rams TV. That year when we lost to Man U in the semi at Hillsborough he was the best player I have ever seen, he just dominated games and he was right when he said we'd have beaten United if hehadn't got injured against Stoke.

We'd have probably done the double. FML.

25 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I watched the Charlie George interviews on Rams TV. That year when we lost to Man U in the semi at Hillsborough he was the best player I have ever seen, he just dominated games and he was right when he said we'd have beaten United if hehadn't got injured against Stoke.

We'd have probably done the double. FML.

Thems the margins Bob. And owd Charlie is probably right.

I know all clubs have their ‘what ifs’ but ours are the best. We are the best.

16 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Except..,didn’t we win the cup on April 28th, 1946?

10 minutes ago, steve brummie said:

Mind you, we DID win a World War in 1945, does that count?

I'll think you,ll find the Russians won it for us   Germans suffered  3.4 Million casualties on Russian front versus 400,000 on western front

3 minutes ago, JG400 said:

I'll think you,ll find the Russians won it for us   Germans suffered  3.4 Million casualties on Russian front versus 400,000 on western front

I bet you're fun at parties. 

Just now, JG400 said:

Not quite as much fun as someone who tries to connect to unrelated events 45 years a part to prove their argument though 

The idea that you think anyone is attempting to credibly prove their "argument" further cements my opinion. ?

Archived