Avengers Infinity Wars

maxjam

So just got back after taking my lad to see it, I realise its only been released today so no spoilers.

The best comment I can leave is that at around 2.5hrs long it flew by and when it finished I wasn't really expecting it, kinda felt there would be more.

If you've been following the Marvel Universe over the past few years its a fitting end to phase 3 which like all great movies leaves plenty of questions for the future...

Oh and don't forget to stick around for the after credits scene, only one this time but right at the very end, after all the credits. All of them! Sigh.  That or watch it on youtube in a couple of days ?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

How many of the other Marvel films do you have to have seen for it to make sense?

For instance I haven't seen Black Panther or any of the Captain America & Spiderman ones but have done with most of the rest.

Lo, they’re probably the more important ones to have seen. A big chunk is set in wakanda, so if you’ve not seen black panther, then you won’t know what’s going on there, or who a lot of the characters are. 

It’s set in the aftermath of captain America civil war, so Tony and cap aren’t on speaking terms, and some of the avengers are awol, and you won’t really understand why. The winter soldier also appears, so if you’ve not seen captain America 2 and 3 you won’t know what his deal is. 

And Spider-Man has a pretty big role, so if you’ve not seen homecoming you’ll not know about his relationship with Tony stark (not sexual, I don’t think). And if you’ve not seen civil war, then you’ll not have seen how he was introduced to the mcu, which is also part of his character development.

But apart from that, you’ll be fine. 

... this actually illustrates a good point. It’s easy to think this could be one of the biggest films ever, with the biggest opening weekend. But it really does rely on you having seen about 19 other films to get the most out of it. So it probably won’t have a massive opening weekend, while everyone is busy trying to catch up. Or some people just say ‘**** it, I can’t be arsed’. 

Theoretically it couldn’t possibly take more than black panther, cos you’d assume most who watch this must have already seen black panther. So if a million people have seen black panther, you wouldn’t expect a million and one people to watch this, as the one would be quite lost. 

Good job black panther did so well really. 

10 hours ago, maxjam said:

So just got back after taking my lad to see it, I realise its only been released today so no spoilers.

The best comment I can leave is that at around 2.5hrs long it flew by and when it finished I wasn't really expecting it, kinda felt there would be more.

If you've been following the Marvel Universe over the past few years its a fitting end to phase 3 which like all great movies leaves plenty of questions for the future...

Oh and don't forget to stick around for the after credits scene, only one this time but right at the very end, after all the credits. All of them! Sigh.  That or watch it on youtube in a couple of days ?

Without being to spoilerific, I wonder if the events of infinity war will filter into the rest of the mcu, like the tv series. 

Itll be interesting to see how the Netflix series deal with it, as they’re more grounded. They can’t avoid the events of this film impact on them. 

Unless tony stark wakes up and it was all a dream. Then they don’t have to deal with. 

(Imagine the uproar if that was the ending!)

27 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

How many of the other Marvel films do you have to have seen for it to make sense?

For instance I haven't seen Black Panther or any of the Captain America & Spiderman ones but have done with most of the rest.

Theres probably a youtube video someones done giving you all the info you need to know going into the movie.  It pulls in characters from all the previous movies so you probably need a depth of knowledge to get the most out of the film but unless you want to sit through umpteen movies (which tbh are all really watchable) the minimum I would recommend is having a knowledge of whats gone on before.

EDIT:  I would say that Captain America Civil War is pretty essential, and Black Panther so you learn about Wakanada

EDIT 2: Not watched it but something like this may help;

16 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Without being to spoilerific, I wonder if the events of infinity war will filter into the rest of the mcu, like the tv series. 

Itll be interesting to see how the Netflix series deal with it, as they’re more grounded. They can’t avoid the events of this film impact on them. 

Unless tony stark wakes up and it was all a dream. Then they don’t have to deal with. 

(Imagine the uproar if that was the ending!)

Avengers 4 or whatever they call it will imo fix some/most of whats happened.  There were a couple of lines in Infinity Wars that lead me to think this and tbh I'm thinking about future character movies and earning potential so yeah (its really hard to convey a point without spoilers lol)

I just hope its done really, really well and not your typical cheesy rehash of whats happened in countless times in other movies.

I've been making my way thru all the films with my kids, last one we watched was Spiderman Homecoming.

I really want to see this one at the cinema now. Black Panther is out on May 15th, anyone got a reasonable guess how like the new one will be showing in Cinemas?

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I've been making my way thru all the films with my kids, last one we watched was Spiderman Homecoming.

I really want to see this one at the cinema now. Black Panther is out on May 15th, anyone got a reasonable guess how like the new one will be showing in Cinemas?

I've been buying them all on blu-ray so I can watch them again with our youngest, he's just not interested in movies atm.

Depends on the movie and the cinema.  May 15th is what 3 weeks from now it should still be on somewhere. Solo and Jurassic Park aren't out until later in May/early June, not sure if there's anything before that might push it off the screens.

Found this for what its worth;

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/17/why-movies-are-sometimes-here-and-gone-in-theaters.html

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I've been buying them all on blu-ray so I can watch them again with our youngest, he's just not interested in movies atm.

Depends on the movie and the cinema.  May 15th is what 3 weeks from now it should still be on somewhere. Solo and Jurassic Park aren't out until later in May/early June, not sure if there's anything before that might push it off the screens.

Found this for what its worth;

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/17/why-movies-are-sometimes-here-and-gone-in-theaters.html

Just seen that black panther is still showing in some cinemas so might be able to see that if I can watch thor quickly.

15 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just seen that black panther is still showing in some cinemas so might be able to see that if I can watch thor quickly.

Thor Ragnorak? Best of the lot imo. Watched it again for the third time a couple of weeks ago, still makes me laugh all the way through ?

57 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Thor Ragnorak? Best of the lot imo. Watched it again for the third time a couple of weeks ago, still makes me laugh all the way through ?

Yeah, heard it was supposed to be really funny. Which I didn't expect as previous Thor films have been the straightest ones I thought. I loved Guardians of Galaxy 2 which I watched recently.

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Avengers 4 or whatever they call it will imo fix some/most of whats happened.  There were a couple of lines in Infinity Wars that lead me to think this and tbh I'm thinking about future character movies and earning potential so yeah (its really hard to convey a point without spoilers lol)

I just hope its done really, really well and not your typical cheesy rehash of whats happened in countless times in other movies.

Certain characters do have plot armour based on the fact that they have sequels coming up. 

My only criticism is that took away from some of the peril, and therefore the drama. 

So we know something clearly has to happen in avengers 4, And depending on the scale of that something, will it make this whole film a bit pointless. 

This isn’t a spoiler, cos it’s a theory I had before I saw it, and it’s wrong anyway, but just goes to show why I should be working for Marvel. 

My theory was that, as part of their parole, Hawkeye and ant-man have been sent on a secret mission to find captain marvel, hence their absence from the trailers, which would then feed I to the next films and mean that ant-man and the wasp could be happening simultaneously, ending in finding captain marvel to save the day. Then that’s followed up with the captain Marvel film as a flashback to show who this great saviour is. Then that all adds up to captain marvel showing up in avengers 4. 

But it turns out that any-man is actually set before avengers, just after civil war, and doesn’t feature Hawkeye. 

Cop out I say. My idea was way better. Marvel know nothing. 

21 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah, heard it was supposed to be really funny. Which I didn't expect as previous Thor films have been the straightest ones I thought. I loved Guardians of Galaxy 2 which I watched recently.

Yeah, I wasn't keen on the previous Thor films either tbh.  Ragnorak is a lot like Guardians though, lots of action, lots of humour, excellent soundtrack. I bet you'd struggle to find anyone that liked one but not the other.  Enjoy!

i've had to watch all of these with our boy but i think this will be my last one, as my age is showing.

The Thor films are watchable, but not this crap

First it was the loud rap music with n this and n that endlessly by some whiny intolerable performers with zero music sense and on a freaking loop no less.  Then it's commercials and upcoming films and then Dolby introduces itself by blowing my ears out.  Finally, this flick starts and i can't follow half of what's going on, super fast flash photography with bang crack boom continued ad nausea, interspersed with inane dialogue and one liners.   Well,  at least the boy enjoyed it but i need a sedative

On 27/04/2018 at 13:44, TigerTedd said:

Certain characters do have plot armour based on the fact that they have sequels coming up. 

My only criticism is that took away from some of the peril, and therefore the drama. 

So we know something clearly has to happen in avengers 4, And depending on the scale of that something, will it make this whole film a bit pointless. 

Tell that to my lad.  The look on his face when the credits appeared was priceless, it's the face I imagine he'll have the day I tell him our dog's died.  TBF, despite knowing about impending sequels for certain characters didn't impact on their fates at all, one in particular really brought the feels...

Can't wait for the next one, methinks it's all part of Dr Strange's plan...

8 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Tell that to my lad.  The look on his face when the credits appeared was priceless, it's the face I imagine he'll have the day I tell him our dog's died.  TBF, despite knowing about impending sequels for certain characters didn't impact on their fates at all, one in particular really brought the feels...

Can't wait for the next one, methinks it's all part of Dr Strange's plan...

I went to see it again yesterday, there was a young lad, maybe 6 or 7 sitting behind us, I had to chuckle very near the end of the film when hr blurted out, 'I hate Thanos' and started crying loudly. Got a smack of my wife for being insensitive lol.

Its not really a film for someone so young imo, especially if you don't take future movies or have an idea about what Avengers 4 might be.

And yeah, I definitely agree with your last sentence - got a few good theories about what will happen next.

When can we talk spoilers and future theories.  Everyone seen it yet?!?

28 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I went to see it again yesterday, there was a young lad, maybe 6 or 7 sitting behind us, I had to chuckle very near the end of the film when hr blurted out, 'I hate Thanos' and started crying loudly. Got a smack of my wife for being insensitive lol.

Its not really a film for someone so young imo, especially if you don't take future movies or have an idea about what Avengers 4 might be.

And yeah, I definitely agree with your last sentence - got a few good theories about what will happen next.

When can we talk spoilers and future theories.  Everyone seen it yet?!?

I'd give it a couple of weeks...

Archived