Aston Villa F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, curtains said:

Why always see the negative.

Do you think Brian Cloughs sides never sat back and defended ever 

Why always look for praise when there is need for criticism. 

I haven’t said ‘we should have won easily this isn’t good enough’ 

I’ve said ‘we should be capable of not giving away possession immediately in an effort to relief pressure from our defence’ 

6 hours ago, curtains said:

Why always see the negative.

Do you think Brian Cloughs sides never sat back and defended ever 

That's not what is being said Curtains - Arsenal used to be past masters of defending and there is no reason why teams cannot play a mainly defensive game with tenacity and skill.

At times this season, Derby have put in performances that got comments like "saw the game out with ease" - when we were bringing thorne and martin on during our good run. So we were able to do that too.

What is being highlighted is not that we defend from time to time, but now that we do so in a completely un-composed and unskilful way - surely we can do the basics right even when we're forced to defend deep? That is the question - can't Gary coach them to be able to do that?

9 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

That's not what is being said Curtains - Arsenal used to be past masters of defending and there is no reason why teams cannot play a mainly defensive game with tenacity and skill.

At times this season, Derby have put in performances that got comments like "saw the game out with ease" - when we were bringing thorne and martin on during our good run. So we were able to do that too.

What is being highlighted is not that we defend from time to time, but now that we do so in a completely un-composed and unskilful way - surely we can do the basics right even when we're forced to defend deep? That is the question - can't Gary coach them to be able to do that?

But mate they don’t do that intentionally it’s because the opposition are pressurising  you and you can’t always get out especially away from home .

Sometimes row Z is the best answer  

Do you remember when people use the term keep it in the corner and see out time. 

Do you agree with that option 

27 minutes ago, curtains said:

But mate they don’t do that intentionally it’s because the opposition are pressurising  you and you can’t always get out especially away from home .

Sometimes row Z is the best answer  

Do you remember when people use the term keep it in the corner and see out time. 

Do you agree with that option 

Absolutely - and teams still do - and its a perfectly legitimate option for the final few moments, but I think the point being made is that we were seemingly panicking much earlier - very difficult to "see out" a match for 70 mins or so.

The Liverpool teams of the 70's and early 80's also used to pass the ball back to the keeper a lot when that was allowed, but they still showed composure within games.

Look, I'm not trying to convince that on occasion a lump it out approach is not the right thing to do - but if that is your ONLY tactic, then equally can you see that its likely to be a higher risk overall, than being able to play from time to time?

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Absolutely - and teams still do - and its a perfectly legitimate option for the final few moments, but I think the point being made is that we were seemingly panicking much earlier - very difficult to "see out" a match for 70 mins or so.

The Liverpool teams of the 70's and early 80's also used to pass the ball back to the keeper a lot when that was allowed, but they still showed composure within games.

Look, I'm not trying to convince that on occasion a lump it out approach is not the right thing to do - but if that is your ONLY tactic, then equally can you see that its likely to be a higher risk overall, than being able to play from time to time?

Didn’t Gary say the Cardiff effort took its effect on the team in the latter stages at Villa Park. 

Maybe it did and the team lacked intensity after 70 minutes so a draw was very creditable away against a team above us in the table after beating another one 3 days before 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Didn’t Gary say the Cardiff effort took its effect on the team in the latter stages at Villa Park. 

Maybe it did and the team lacked intensity after 70 minutes so a draw was very creditable away against a team above us in the table after beating another one 3 days before 

He did, and the result was good. But if you're knackered - which they were - you can help yourself a bit by being able to keep the ball. Its harder work running around trying to press the other team when they have the ball.......so try not to give it to them so often?

6 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

He did, and the result was good. But if you're knackered - which they were - you can help yourself a bit by being able to keep the ball. Its harder work running around trying to press the other team when they have the ball.......so try not to give it to them so often?

Ok I wasn’t there so can’t say what happened with that 

Curtains

I 'sit' here shouting 'Take it in the corner'................

Rumour had it that we signed Theo Robinson based on his ability to do this and protect it when we were seeing games out.

And 'Blow the whistle'   .......   that one hurts your throat !!!!

2 minutes ago, t'oldu said:

Curtains

Rumour had it that we signed Theo Robinson based on his ability to do this and protect it when we were seeing games out.

Theo a NC signing. You could be right. 

32 minutes ago, t'oldu said:

Curtains

Willie Carlin rides again!

5 hours ago, t'oldu said:

Curtains

Was that the reason we signed him?! So it wasn't for his goal scoring prowess then?

Archived