Aston Villa F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

11 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I'm wondering whether johnson could be a decent LWB? Strong, good defensively but can also get forward and put crosses in similar to his Norwich role. Could then play Ledley next to Hudds. 

Think I would prefer johnson there than Olson.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
16 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I'm wondering whether johnson could be a decent LWB? Strong, good defensively but can also get forward and put crosses in similar to his Norwich role. Could then play Ledley next to Hudds. 

Olson did OK, I think he provides pace and movement on the left , Johnson wont provide that. The better option is to play weimann on the left and vydra in the hole. I think olson only came in cos weimann was not fully fit on saturday and vydra needed be kept fresh as hes been looking jaded. But without either weimann or vydra we lack a bit of movement and pace, hence why olson came in.. not a bad plan i think although olson isnt great.   

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Olson did OK, I think he provides pace and movement on the left , Johnson wont provide that. The better option is to play weimann on the left and vydra in the hole. I think olson only came in cos weimann was not fully fit on saturday and vydra needed be kept fresh as hes been looking jaded. But without either weimann or vydra we lack a bit of movement and pace, hence why olson came in.. not a bad plan i think although olson isnt great.   

I’d be tempted to play Weimann, not sure he’s any less capable than Olsson when it come to defending. 

We looked much better at the end of the last match so I’d set up more similar to that than how we started:

Carson

Keogh Davies Forsyth

Wisdom Huddlestone Johnson Weimann

Lawrence Jerome Vydra

Villa play a similar way to the way we have all season, they’re not a possession based side but they’re lethal when given space up front and solid at the back. We need to get the ball on the deck and play through the lines. Ordinarily I’d have Palmer in instead of Johnson but think we do need that extra defensive strength in this one, just need to make sure he’s under the instruction not to lump and instead try to carry the ball. Think weimann gives that balance out wide, and allows us to get our best player back in as well. Need to be absolutely clear we stop grealish getting any time on the ball, as well as stop adomah from getting inside.

20 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We looked much better at the end of the last match so I’d set up more similar to that than how we started:

Carson

Keogh Davies Forsyth

Wisdom Huddlestone Johnson Weimann

Lawrence Jerome Vydra

24 April, 6.45pm: "FFS ROWETT WHAT IN CHRIST'S SAKE IS THAT TEAM?!"

25 April, 6.15pm: "Yeah I'd pick the same XI as last night, except Vydra in for Olsson."

---

Magic darts.

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

24 April, 6.45pm: "FFS ROWETT WHAT IN CHRIST'S SAKE IS THAT TEAM?!"

25 April, 6.15pm: "Yeah I'd pick the same XI as last night, except Vydra in for Olsson."

---

Magic darts.

Any team is improved when you set out to actually attack.... That one change is wayyy more significant than it looks as well, that’s a complete shift in attack vs defence. That’s what won us the game the other night, and that’s why we must start that way, and not the way we started originally.

Going to suggest i slightly different team to be honest, have been going on about playing Bogle from the academy as a wingback for a few days now. And i think Ollson/Forsyth combo proving unreliable gives a perfect opportunity. 

Carson

Keogh Davies Wisdom

Bogle Huddlestone Ledley Forsyth

Lawrence Vydra

Jerome. 

Having said that, not sure how fit Jerome will be and sounds like he was picked to suit Cardiff's style. I know he wont but would love to see a front three of Lawrence, Palmer and Vydra all rotating. Liquid Football. 

3 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Weimann moved to LWB last night and did a pretty solid job - Johnson had a good game as well. Personally I think we play the same team as when Vydra came on last night, but I think we can both agree that Ollson shouldn't be on the pitch.

Just now, RamsFan10 said:

As much as i think Weimann did well at LWB for the brief period he was there, its depressing that when we signed him Villa fans all said he was best as a central striker, and we've managed to convert him to a LWB. 

James Milner, Ashley Young... some ‘great players’ revert to full back. 

15 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

As much as i think Weimann did well at LWB for the brief period he was there, its depressing that when we signed him Villa fans all said he was best as a central striker, and we've managed to convert him to a LWB. 

To be entirely fair, he didnt do much for Villa when he was occasionally played as a CF - they said that, but fans can get warped opinions of players when they only show-up in positions rarely.

I think Weimann's got a great deal to his game, but he's below average when it comes to finishing/final ball, so his future is probably more promising in a deeper role. 

There’s been a few; same as CFs who revert to centre half and vice versa.

I get your point though. 

But it’s a nice option to have if we need it. With all due respect, AW wont ever be our main CF but puts in a professional shift. I’m not sure if I even think he’s all that as a proper winger but he has energy, skill and can score sometimes. So as attaching wing backs go, maybe he’s the man. I’ve never considered it tbh so praise to Gary if he’s unearthed something out of left field. 

39 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

To be entirely fair, he didnt do much for Villa when he was occasionally played as a CF - they said that, but fans can get warped opinions of players when they only show-up in positions rarely.

I think Weimann's got a great deal to his game, but he's below average when it comes to finishing/final ball, so his future is probably more promising in a deeper role. 

Weimanns strength seems to be in the overlap play, he defends very well for a winger and him and fozzy had some nice link ups last night. 

I'm not quite sure where the idea that he's a striker has come from, he's never been prolific but his workrate is second to none at the club 

Archived