The Derby Ram-Derbyshire Folk

TuffLuff

I'm researching for a thing and been wanting to find some traditional derbyshire folk sons and came across this so though I'd share in the hope others might like it or have knowledge of anything else. Anyway it's a song about there being a massive ram.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I'm researching for a thing and been wanting to find some traditional derbyshire folk sons and came across this so though I'd share in the hope others might like it or have knowledge of anything else. Anyway it's a song about there being a massive ram.

That song/myth is why we’re called the rams, as far as I know. My parents had it on a tea towel on the wall (the way people used to do when tea towels were considered as middle class tapestries). 

There's an old traditional Derbyshire Carol called 'And all in the evening' but you'll struggle to find it. I've got it on an old LP with some other Christmas stuff.

Ahh, found a version. A bit rough mind you, but authentic.

On 22/04/2018 at 14:57, TuffLuff said:

Actually, just listened to t all the way through. It’s quite good is that. A couple of extra versus compared with what was on my mums tea towel. 

Theres got to be an original, non-Sheffield Wednesday related, chant in there somewhere. 

On 22/04/2018 at 15:04, TigerTedd said:

That song/myth is why we’re called the rams, as far as I know. My parents had it on a tea towel on the wall (the way people used to do when tea towels were considered as middle class tapestries). 

That’s interesting, especially with ref. to the baseball ground

14 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Actually, just listened to t all the way through. It’s quite good is that. A couple of extra versus compared with what was on my mums tea towel. 

Theres got to be an original, non-Sheffield Wednesday related, chant in there somewhere. 

I think so too, a decent long lasting one too if people got behind it

20 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

15 hours ago, Phoenix said:

There's an old traditional Derbyshire Carol called 'And all in the evening' but you'll struggle to find it. I've got it on an old LP with some other Christmas stuff.

Ahh, found a version. A bit rough mind you, but authentic.

Excellent, thanks so much for these. Will look into these ASAP. The other thing I came across was the album by Bella Hardy called The White Peak & The Dark which is on Spotify. It’s worth a listen if you like that type of thing. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Peak_and_the_White

Im not really a folk guy, just like stories really so I’m learning a lot at the moment!

On 24/04/2018 at 10:07, TuffLuff said:

That’s interesting, especially with ref. to the baseball ground

I think so too, a decent long lasting one too if people got behind it

Excellent, thanks so much for these. Will look into these ASAP. The other thing I came across was the album by Bella Hardy called The White Peak & The Dark which is on Spotify. It’s worth a listen if you like that type of thing. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Peak_and_the_White

Im not really a folk guy, just like stories really so I’m learning a lot at the moment!

Just found the version I've got. Much more refined, but then Vaughan Williams probably picked up the original 'rough' version and polished it up a bit.

Archived