• Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, irobinson said:

What a top guy - and Ledge for us.

Be nice to see him around PP for many years to come

Didn't realise his personal family trauma - and had to rebuild their lives

Get him on the wembley guest list....

Gladys Hinton - The Hammer

From memory the personal stuff was twofold ir and (I think) both happened around the time he was leaving Derby in the mid 70's.  The interview covers his child's illness and death in some detail but it's briefer about his business troubles which I seem to remember were significant and involved him being 'let down' by a business partner.

Testimonial football matches were more common then than now but mostly attracted fairly modest (under 10,000) crowds even in our glory days.  Alan's difficulties and his contributions to our success attracted 25,000 odd at the BBG (I've still got the programme somewhere) and I guess that the money raised went some way towards repairing the financial damage he had suffered, before he went to America.  I think that the attendance was probably a record until Ted McMinn's match at PP.

6 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

From memory the personal stuff was twofold ir and (I think) both happened around the time he was leaving Derby in the mid 70's.  The interview covers his child's illness and death in some detail but it's briefer about his business troubles which I seem to remember were significant and involved him being 'let down' by a business partner.

Testimonial football matches were more common then than now but mostly attracted fairly modest (under 10,000) crowds even in our glory days.  Alan's difficulties and his contributions to our success attracted 25,000 odd at the BBG (I've still got the programme somewhere) and I guess that the money raised went some way towards repairing the financial damage he had suffered, before he went to America.  I think that the attendance was probably a record until Ted McMinn's match at PP.

I was at that testimonial too. Wasn't it v a GB XI ? I remember him scoring a peno. 

Archived