Work

McRainy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Judging by the amount of time some of you lot spend on here I'd suggest not a lot :p

And I'm aware of the irony of spending nearly all day everyday with a dcfcfans tab open on my desktop but I work from home for myself so I'll give myself a fierce reprimanding later!

cheeky sod.

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

Psychotherapist and teacher, yes, jacked teaching due to stress, along with about two thirds of the profession. 

I feel for you, my missus had a terrible time teaching and dropped out, she is currently rejuvenated in her role in a training providing capacity, shame the government has cut training grants down to the bone and her job is now insecure, can't win can you :(

So yeah I work from home which is good n all but it also means I'm always at work - and there is always something to do whilst you're at work.

I believe its sunny outside is it not?  Enjoy your day off ya layabouts ?

Was a teacher in Europe and then UK. 27 years in total with last 23 in secondary in the east midlands.  Didn't like the look of where my last place was heading so did a masters which allowed me to apply to work in universities.  Currently work 4 days per week at university of nottingham and 1 day for an exam board. Loving it. Not only do i not have someone younger than me emailing me late at night about kpis, I'm also treated like an adult. 

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 13:47, Lambchop said:

Psychotherapist and teacher, yes, jacked teaching due to stress, along with about two thirds of the profession. 

I'm still teaching part time and looking at how many more years I have in me. What did you move onto?

1 hour ago, sage said:

I'm still teaching part time and looking at how many more years I have in me. What did you move onto?

5 hours ago, Lambchop said:

13E18C0C-FFDA-4A6C-9F97-5C41BF8EE14C.jpeg

A pub by the looks of it.

2 hours ago, sage said:

What did you move onto?

Sculpture and writing.  Giving myself a year or two to ponce about being creative. When I’m skint again I might go back to a bit of therapy. 

18 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Sculpture and writing.  Giving myself a year or two to ponce about being creative. When I’m skint again I might go back to a bit of therapy. 

Giving or receiving?

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Giving or receiving?

Giving. There’s work I could tap into for a few hours a week which would pay the bills. I’d rather not though, so I probably shouldn’t. 

Want to buy a sculpture?

• 2 months later...

Just been in contact with a friend recently who's been made redundant after just two years. Cutting the long story short, the company decided to over time dismiss the whole of his team. Replaced with staff earning less money and have altered job titles even though it's exactly the same job description. And companies wonder why so many people my age (under 30) don't stay in places for longer than 3 years. It's absolutely awful at the moment. Only one of my close friends have stayed at a job since leaving full-time education 6 years ago. 

Every time I seem to start a new job, it's a recycled story from people who have been at a firm for years. "This place used to be great and now we get treated like crap." When I talked to my mates in the pub the other night, we realised we needed to try and settle into something we want to do rather than keep looking for a role that suits us. Maybe more patience is required. I start my new job soon and I'm just hoping it'll come good. I don't want to leave for anything better, I'd just like to be settled for a change ? I feel most places don't give a poo and 90% of managers don't manage people. They have no idea how to talk to their staff at human beings. I'm not suggesting a manager should be your best pal, but at least acknowledge I work here. People work best when they are looked after properly, it's common sense.

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

Every time I seem to start a new job, it's a recycled story from people who have been at a firm for years. "This place used to be great and now we get treated like crap." ?

Seems a common theme - while business is booming and a manageable size, it's easy to stick to the mantra of "a well-treated workforce is a happy workforce" - but as soon as profits are down it's always the employees who take the brunt of it. ?

That's why I'd never want to run my own business. How do you deal with having to cut back on employee perks in order to keep the business afloat so your employees actually have somewhere to even be employed?

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Seems a common theme - while business is booming and a manageable size, it's easy to stick to the mantra of "a well-treated workforce is a happy workforce" - but as soon as profits are down it's always the employees who take the brunt of it. ?

That's why I'd never want to run my own business. How do you deal with having to cut back on employee perks in order to keep the business afloat so your employees actually have somewhere to even be employed?

Certainly been at "treat em mean keep em keen" sort of places.. not for long, im certainly not keen to be treated mean so decide to move on. Trouble is most places are like that now, and you run out of options.  

Archived