Work

McRainy

42 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

People who work with the dying say that the most frequent regret is looking back on years wasted chasing after money and security, and not being true to yourself. I’d hate to feel like that. 

You regret the things you didn't do, not the things you did apparently .Applies to all areas of life not just work.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I count myself so fortunate and blessed with my working life. Retired now (sort of) but spent many years working on British aid projects and some funded by the World Bank. Worked all over the world Far East, Middle East, the Caribbean but mainly in Africa. Went to places I would never have normally gone to such as Ethiopia, (the carved churches in Lalibela are unbelievable), Zanzibar, Kuwait. Was banged up ( wrongfully) in Sierra Leone. 

My area was records and information management and I helped set up a patients registration unit in Banjul (medical records were in a terrible state) and developed a rape support centre in Freetown just after the civil war. Am currently working on a prisoner biometric registration project in Nigeria to help decongest prison populations (inmates can be held in prison for years after their sentence has elapsed because no one can find their records at the prison or the courts or the police). All worthwhile and highly satisfying.

Met some wonderful people, including a larger than life Madam Pussy who ran a restaurant near Freetown and the menu, instead of saying Starters or Hors d'oeuvres, said Madam Pussy's Openings!  Also drank an alarmingly huge amount of different beers all over the world. Happy times. 

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I see people saying quite often that they are bored rigid by retirement, and maybe you don't know until you've tried it but I can't imagine I would ever be bored of not having to fill my day with work, just to put food on the table

I'm 48 later this year and been in full-time work since I was 20. My ethos in that time has never changed. I work so that I have enough money to feel secure and enjoy my life outside of work. I've never had a job where I felt any kind of affinity to my employer, or what my employer does. In most cases, I find employer's embarassing attempts to talk about culture and motivation excruciating. Don't get me wrong, it's important to have a job that you can at least tolerate. Whenever I've stopped enjoying my job, I've changed jobs. Some days I enjoy my job, rather than just tolerate it but those days seem rarer and rarer.

Something changed maybe about 10 years ago? Employers used to treat things like pay rises and bonuses as important tools in motivating and rewarding employees. But these days employers seem to think they are something to be avoided, and that actually having a job is reward enough. And the idea of having to work outside of your contracted hours used to be an exception, which was appreciated. These days it seems like the norm, and again - we should just be lucky to have a job.

I should be clear I'm talking about large organisations here - not small companies, I'm sure their are plenty of exceptions, but it seems like we are dehumanised in the dogged pursuit of profit and/or shareholder value

I've been offered voluntary redundancy on a quarterly basis for the past 5 years, not because there is no work, but because they can pile that work on to fewer people, and cheaper people. I'm reaching the point of seriously considering it, and then just get a low stress job on half the money.

Things seem to have changed, a lot of employers are just taking the piss now. 

36 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

I count myself so fortunate and blessed with my working life. Retired now (sort of) but spent many years working on British aid projects and some funded by the World Bank. Worked all over the world Far East, Middle East, the Caribbean but mainly in Africa. Went to places I would never have normally gone to such as Ethiopia, (the carved churches in Lalibela are unbelievable), Zanzibar, Kuwait. Was banged up ( wrongfully) in Sierra Leone. 

My area was records and information management and I helped set up a patients registration unit in Banjul (medical records were in a terrible state) and developed a rape support centre in Freetown just after the civil war. Am currently working on a prisoner biometric registration project in Nigeria to help decongest prison populations (inmates can be held in prison for years after their sentence has elapsed because no one can find their records at the prison or the courts or the police). All worthwhile and highly satisfying.

Met some wonderful people, including a larger than life Madam Pussy who ran a restaurant near Freetown and the menu, instead of saying Starters or Hors d'oeuvres, said Madam Pussy's Openings!  Also drank an alarmingly huge amount of different beers all over the world. Happy times. 

So jealous. My wife was a tour leader, before I dragged her away from all that fun she was having and shackled her into married life and motherhood. We actually had plans to travel and volunteer around the world, but our first daughter came along a little bit earlier than planned, which screwed up that uses a bit (still, for an 8 year old, she’s been to machu picchu, spent time in the Amazon, been to Chichen Itzá, swam with dolphins. We’ve dragged her to a few places. 

Anyway, bringing it back to my Star Trek society, yours is the kind of job I would do in a money-less society. Just provide me with the things I need to live, and I’d be all over that. 

It’s the work life balance that younger people need to find and be rigid with it, otherwise companies just take and take. 

Because of my position now, nobody will query my hours and I leave the office religiously at 5.. It makes me sick to see people working later and later just to make an impression on the boss. It’s become the norm.. Answering nothing emails at 2 in the morning for effect.. The employer loves all the extras he gets, it’s hard for the young to draw lines (in the right way)..

Both my lads are answering emails until late each night.. It shows dedication on their part but many a time I have wanted to shake them.. Enough is enough, let people ge5 home, be with their families and enjoy precious time together..

I really don’t think I will get bored when I give up.. Plenty we want to do together on the travel front. I would even do voluntary work to keep active. I am so looking forward to doing things when I want to do them, not some **** at head office.

11 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

It’s the work life balance that younger people need to find and be rigid with it, otherwise companies just take and take. 

Because of my position now, nobody will query my hours and I leave the office religiously at 5.. It makes me sick to see people working later and later just to make an impression on the boss. It’s become the norm.. Answering nothing emails at 2 in the morning for effect.. The employer loves all the extras he gets, it’s hard for the young to draw lines (in the right way)..

Both my lads are answering emails until late each night.. It shows dedication on their part but many a time I have wanted to shake them.. Enough is enough, let people ge5 home, be with their families and enjoy precious time together..

I really don’t think I will get bored when I give up.. Plenty we want to do together on the travel front. I would even do voluntary work to keep active. I am so looking forward to doing things when I want to do them, not some **** at head office.

I'm right with you on all of this AR. My family life is slightly unusual in that my two kids are 22 and 7, so I've seen one grow up and it happens so fast, it has made me determined to spend as much time enjoying time with my youngest as possible, You don;t get that time again. As much for his sake as mine - I want him to remember me being around when he was growing up.

A guy at our place who retired a few years ago said that when his kids grew up they told him their main memory of family holidays was him being on the phone to work the whole time! Ridiculous when you look back. He really regretted it

Ideally i'd like to retire at 55, but I'm not sure how practical that is. Current financial projections make 58 look more likely. Which means I have to work another 10 years. Realistically retirement for me just means not working in a corporate environment anymore. Having the financial stability to be able to work somewhere rewarding and low stress without having to worry about the minimum wage that probably attracts - or even volunteering

Not sure I'd describe the millenials as "snowflakes" in the context of the corporate world these days. You used to be able to have a laught at work but no longer. Technology doesn't make life easier, it makes it harder...now you juggle 50 jobs instead of 10. More output per worker but a worker who is struggling to keep up with the "machine". I can get heart palpitations upon hearing the "e-mail" notification - you just don't know what is landing and it can be morning, noon or night. And the volume of incoming e-mail...does it end? For me the last 2 years the workload has been getting horrendous, so much so I am working most weekends and taking very little leave. I've had 1 day off this year and I doubt I will get another for 2-3 months at the earliest given my diary is rammed for the next quarter. I don't want to forgo annual leave (I am not that person) but I would be more stressed sat on a beach somewhere knowing my inbox is swelling by the minute. If it doesn't kill me I will come out of this nicely enough though, you make a call at the end of the day, tolerate more **** upfront and get out early (but risk dropping dead) or take the whole journey slower. I made my bed so I try to lie in it with minimal fuss.

I like my work really enjoy it, certainly wouldn't want to do less don't really know what I'd do if I had the extra spare time. Then maybe you change your mind when you've been working for 30 years

36 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

What do you do?

Judging by the amount of time some of you lot spend on here I'd suggest not a lot :p

And I'm aware of the irony of spending nearly all day everyday with a dcfcfans tab open on my desktop but I work from home for myself so I'll give myself a fierce reprimanding later!

Archived