Derbyshire(ish) sports people

sage

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

World Cup 1966 winner Ray Wilson was from Shirebrook.

England rugby International Jonathan Joseph born in Derby

John Lowe, epic 70s and 80s darts player from Chesterfield

Rocket Ron Haslam from Derbys ( Boycies way I think)

Yep, Ron lives in Smalley, comes from Langley Mill. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/04/2018 at 12:59, sage said:

Adam Peaty won a gold and silver in the swimming at the Commonwealth Games. 

Niamh Emerson from Shirland got bronze in the Heptathlon which is pretty good considering her age and inexperience. One to watch for the future. 

Niamh's my cousin ?Really down to earth girl. Used to have a season ticket at Derby but her dad's a Man Utd fan so she may still need some swaying!

She won the under 20s European Championships Heptathlon in Finland last month and I'm now saving my pennies in the hopes of going to Tokyo in 2020 ?  

• 6 months later...
On 20/08/2018 at 14:48, thederbyram said:

Niamh's my cousin ?Really down to earth girl. Used to have a season ticket at Derby but her dad's a Man Utd fan so she may still need some swaying!

She won the under 20s European Championships Heptathlon in Finland last month and I'm now saving my pennies in the hopes of going to Tokyo in 2020 ?  

Brilliant performance from Niamh Friday night to win pentathlon silver at the European Indoor Athletics championships in Glasgow. It was a world best points total for her age (not sure but I think she's only 19 or 20).

Five events, five personal bests.

I like her even more now I've read she supports Derby!

On 03/03/2019 at 08:31, angieram said:

Brilliant performance from Niamh Friday night to win pentathlon silver at the European Indoor Athletics championships in Glasgow. It was a world best points total for her age (not sure but I think she's only 19 or 20).

Five events, five personal bests.

I like her even more now I've read she supports Derby!

Yeah there's pictures of my grandma in the crowd with everything crossed haha. I've told her I'm not going to let her live that fall near the finish line down though!

And hey I can't guarantee she wasn't just going to the games because Niall Horan was sat nearby at the time... ?

• 1 month later...
On 02/05/2019 at 18:30, JoetheRam said:

"Derby" Dave Gilbert beating John Higgins 5-3 after the first session of their World Snooker Championship semi-final.

You're pulling our leg here, just said Tamworth on the telebox

13 minutes ago, David said:

You're pulling our leg here, just said Tamworth on the telebox

Born in Derby

8 minutes ago, eddie said:

Born in Derby

I'll let him off on this occasion then, just watching now thinking I was getting behind a Derby lad, when they mentioned Tamworth my foot almost went through the screen

On 04/05/2019 at 15:18, David said:

I'll let him off on this occasion then, just watching now thinking I was getting behind a Derby lad, when they mentioned Tamworth my foot almost went through the screen

Going to spoil it for you now David.

Born in Derby, adopted by Tamworth it seems.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/homecoming-party-tamworth-snooker-star-16242208

Archived