Derbyshire Cricket 2018

Jimbo Ram

21 minutes ago, sage said:

Managed to watch about 3/4 of the game over 4 days. Thoroughly deserved victory. We look to have as good a team as I have seen at Derbyshire for at least 4 years but the squad looks very thin. I reckon we are 2 players short of being a promotion winning team.   

I’m keen to see if them now. I’ve taken in about one game every few seasons for many years, be nice if it’s a year when they at least are unpredictable and cause a few upsets?

Beating Middlesex was a turn up, sounded like we have genuine pace attack, which is exciting even if you lose.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, sage said:

Managed to watch about 3/4 of the game over 4 days. Thoroughly deserved victory. We look to have as good a team as I have seen at Derbyshire for at least 4 years but the squad looks very thin. I reckon we are 2 players short of being a promotion winning team.   

Managed to watch several overs before the big freeze came. Unfortunately, even when the broadband allowed my watching, I'm not on unlimited broadband and the crick I did see ate alarmingly into my allowance. I don't have Sky Sports and, although I try to keep up with things on here, I'd seen precious little of the players over the years and don't know all that much about them. I'm going to have to pick and choose what I watch in future, so I'll avail of your expertise in answering the following:-

Who's the most stylish batsman we've got, and who's the most exciting/aggressive (given the right situation)?

I was watching their spinners in action against Slater and Reece when they were both in the late 90s and resolved to stay watching till they'd both got their tons (or failed). I saw Reece make it, and Slater was on 99 when a look at my data usage made me abort. I did however think Slater was scratching around a bit, and thought he might fall short, so wasn't surprised when I looked at the scores later.

I think I've got a reasonable handle on our bowlers now, and when the footy season's over, I might even get a data add on ( cue utch throwing his hands up in the air in despair) - audio doesn't do it for me.

Just to show how far I am behind, which county did' you know who' foot it off to?

7 hours ago, ramblur said:

Managed to watch several overs before the big freeze came. Unfortunately, even when the broadband allowed my watching, I'm not on unlimited broadband and the crick I did see ate alarmingly into my allowance. I don't have Sky Sports and, although I try to keep up with things on here, I'd seen precious little of the players over the years and don't know all that much about them. I'm going to have to pick and choose what I watch in future, so I'll avail of your expertise in answering the following:-

Who's the most stylish batsman we've got, and who's the most exciting/aggressive (given the right situation)?

I was watching their spinners in action against Slater and Reece when they were both in the late 90s and resolved to stay watching till they'd both got their tons (or failed). I saw Reece make it, and Slater was on 99 when a look at my data usage made me abort. I did however think Slater was scratching around a bit, and thought he might fall short, so wasn't surprised when I looked at the scores later.

I think I've got a reasonable handle on our bowlers now, and when the footy season's over, I might even get a data add on ( cue utch throwing his hands up in the air in despair) - audio doesn't do it for me.

Just to show how far I am behind, which county did' you know who' foot it off to?

Slater is very stylish but had a massive attack of nerves and took about 40 balls to get from 96 to 99 and then out. 

Madsen and to some extent Reece are more aggressive. 

We have a good team but a thin squad. Beyond the starting 11 we have Daryl Smut  (spinning all rounder), two 21 yr olds in wk Hosein and fast bowler Davis. The rest of the squad are 17 year olds.

We are an aggressive batsmen and a too quality spinner away from promotion. 

Thanks sage. I thought their better spinner bowled very well to both of them in the nervous nineties. A 'buckaroo' by one of our batsmen was particularly entertaining. Although the passage of play I saw was pretty slow going, I found it thoroughly absorbing. Was it Slater who kept practicing shots all the time - sign of nerves, and as Borg once famously said, a complete waste of time and concentration breaker. If you didn't know how to play a shot after countless hours practicing and playing, then somethings wrong. Another case of allowing the conscious mind to poke its beak where it doesn't belong ( and it needs very little encouragement). Apart from the obvious things like skill and application, it's always seemed to me that the ability to concentrate for long periods often separates the great from the good in most sports.

I used to hate Bill Lawrie (spelling may be off) when I was a kid, but had a grudging admiration for his stickability. Again, when I was much younger, whenever we were playing Middlesex ,Leicester or Somerset , I used to grab the DET to look at the scores/report. If I saw any of them at 26-3 , for example, I'd immediately look to see who was at the crease. If it was one of the usual suspects, I'd turn the paper round, with much foreboding, to look at the late news. 87-3 , Mr Gutsy Grafter 30 odd N.O. There were 3 batsmen like giant blobs of glue holding an innings together. Met the Somerset guy, Denning, once -absolutely lovely fellow. We had Morris and a S.African (whose name I forget (not Wilkins) playing, but Pete beamed and simply said' Barnett' with a shake of the head.

Saw a bit of Critchley bowling, and their D-B batsman looked at him for a few balls and then spanked him for a 6 and 2 4s in the same over. Is he an all rounder? (hope so). I could easily get into this cricket again ( but please, never mention Trevor Bailey to me - that's a bridge too far).

My special award goes to anyone ( bar eddie) who can name the other 2.

7 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I thought Smit was a wicket keeper primarily & part time spinner...?

Probably spins round when he's behind the stumps:lol:

54 minutes ago, ramblur said:

My special award goes to anyone ( bar eddie) who can name the other 2.

@eddie barred from entering until 6pm, on the grounds of unfair competition, as I know he'll get both instantly. Might be too early an era for @sage , otherwise I think he'd have been in like a flash to gain my rather modest award.

12 hours ago, ramblur said:

Grandmothers, egg-sucking spring to mind, but you can keep up, ball by ball, on the following site, on all the county matches (and others). Also, you can click on a player and get some in-depth statistics. probably won't use up so much of your data allowance.

Apologies if you already know/do this.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/index.html?CMP=OTC-GCN

1 hour ago, ramblur said:

@eddie barred from entering until 6pm, on the grounds of unfair competition, as I know he'll get both instantly. Might be too early an era for @sage , otherwise I think he'd have been in like a flash to gain my rather modest award.

I'm not even sure of the question. Slow batsmen from Middlesex and Leics in the early 70s?

2 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm not even sure of the question. Slow batsmen from Middlesex and Leics in the early 70s?

One was so obdurate, you'd think he was made of metal, and the other was a feisty fighter/terrier, the type you'd want to come in when the innings appeared to be in tatters. Reckon he actually thrived on such situations. Absolutely hated all of them as opponents, but again with that grudging respect. Perhaps not so much slow (all of them), but all men for minor crises. Mind you, going back to Somerset, you wouldn't want Brian Rose sticking around too long either.

I remember when we met Pete Denning. Four of us went down by car and stayed in some B&B near the ground. It was my one and only time in Taunton, so I don't really remember it all that well. Pretty certain it was a Sunday League game, yet both sides posted 300+. Barnett made a big score, but I can't remember who opened with him ( might even have been John Morris). John got a big ton and the SA guy (I'll remember his name by the time the year's out) did well. I thought we were romping it till we got to the last over and I realized we still needed quite a few (how on earth has this happened, I asked myself). In the end Mr SA saw us home comfortably.

We went back to the B&B, and they recommended a pub to us in a nearby village, and said it was Ok if we got back late (probably used to it). We went by taxi, and I can't remember the name of the village, but I know we crossed a river by bridge. I'm almost certain that pub was 'The Rose and something'. Great pub, atmospheric, with fairly low beams. Beefy was barred from it, which probably doesn't help much- was amazed by how much he appeared to be disliked.

My round first up, with the landlord (sure his name was Peter) serving. 'Do you have scrumpy on draught?'.........'We only be surving thaat to poyple we downt loyk. What'll e be arving, haarf or point? First big mistake of the night was 'points' all round, and we were given friendly word of advice not to crow about the result (especially as the place was packed with Somerset fans). Next up, I've a feeling it was Abbotts? ale.......and the next,and the next etc. Luckily someone introduced us to Pete Denning fairly early on, because if it had been later my Taurean lack of tact might have kicked in, and I could easily have said something like ' I used to hate you''

He was a truly lovely, friendly guy and not the slightest bit like I would have imagined him to be. I know he lived in that village, and I'm pretty certain he said Brian Rose lived there too.......and boy did he like Kim Barnett. Anyway, the night goes on a bit and YT goes up to the bar to chat to a guy called 'Curly', for obvious reasons. There was a small dining area behind us, and I was getting on famously with Mr C, when I happened to turn round and saw this waitress pass by (this is a true story). I nudge Mr C and say ' I wouldn't mind blanket,blankety,blank'.............'Thaat be my doyter'. I wanted the ground to swallow me, when I realized I was still alive and Mr C was chuckling. Jeez, I thought, he's taken that as a compliment (and I started to imagine what the girl would look like when I was sober).

Anyway, back to join the lads, only to get a dig in the ribs by an avid FT watcher.' Don't mention the game' said he.......probably just as well because I was on the verge of standing up to give a rowdy rendition of 'Doybeeshoyr, La La La La'. Sorry, that's all I remember, apart from getting back home safely.

Oh yes, Curly told me the landlord had split with his very attractive wife, and was now shacked up with one of the barmen.

Those were the days.

2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Grandmothers, egg-sucking spring to mind, but you can keep up, ball by ball, on the following site, on all the county matches (and others). Also, you can click on a player and get some in-depth statistics. probably won't use up so much of your data allowance.

Apologies if you already know/do this.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/index.html?CMP=OTC-GCN

Thanks mate, but I've got the taste for live action now. I did notice that the club's website offered day's highlights though. Do you know if they're streaming limited overs stuff as well?

22 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Adrian Kuipers?

That's the guy. Well done,as that would have tormented me for ages. Hit the ball very hard, but controlled. It's all starting to come back to me now, as twas one of the very few times I was able to get 'home' during my first few years in Ireland. Arranged a few days stay at a friend's and then 4 of us set off to what looked to be an attractive fixture ( and I'll admit that booze was on the agenda from the off). May well have got the league wrong, as I think it changed to the name of some Insurance Company? Got a feeling I might have gone a bit overboard on the scores, because 300+ is a bit steep for 40 overs, although the boundaries flowed like milk and honey. I'm sure Kim got a big score, and maybe even a ton, and JM definitely went well over the ton. I can remember Mortensen bowling, and I've a sneaking feeling a young Chris Adams might have been in the team. Can remember very little of the Somerset team apart from Peter Roebuck, and I seem to remember they had a prolific overseas opener- something like Jimmy Cook keeps hitting me?

Pete Denning must have been retired a good few years, but he still looked relatively young. Boy, did he still have a palpable enthusiasm for the game - an honour to meet the guy tbf.

7 hours ago, ramblur said:

Thanks mate, but I've got the taste for live action now. I did notice that the club's website offered day's highlights though. Do you know if they're streaming limited overs stuff as well?

I've asked the question on the unofficial forum

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/falconsforum/

It's believed that ALL the non televised matches will be streamed, but don't shoot the messenger!

2 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Rain effected draw at Leicester. Just about got the second batting point in time, which puts us clear second just 1 point behind Warwickshire.

Owhh exciting! Got Warwicks next in a top of the table clash, so if we win can we claim the title just like Notts Forest do in Football, at a similar stage in the season ?

Mark Footitt has returned on loan from Notts. His move to Surrey to try and boost his England hopes didn’t work, but if he can get back to bowling like he did when he was here before, that looks some bowling attack we now have.

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

Mark Footitt has returned on loan from Notts. His move to Surrey to try and boost his England hopes didn’t work, but if he can get back to bowling like he did when he was here before, that looks some bowling attack we now have.

Wow, that's a surprise, and a major coup for Derbyshire.

Left arm option will come in very handy!

Footitt, Rampaul, Viljoen, Olivier...!!!

Archived