Conor McGregor

Andicis

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m actually with David here. This could really be a problem for him as well if convicted. Surely they will kick him out of the USA with a conviction? The US is where the money is..

I started thinking this was all a gimmick but how do you get the NYPD to play along?

13 hours ago, David said:

As in other professional wrestling promotions, WWE shows are not legitimate contests, but purely entertainment-based, featuring storyline-driven, scripted, and choreographed matches, though they often include moves that can put performers at risk of injury if not performed correctly. This was first publicly acknowledged by WWE's owner Vince McMahon in 1989 to avoid taxes from athletic commissions. Since the 1980s, WWE publicly has branded their product as sports entertainment, acknowledging the product's roots in competitive sport and dramatic theater.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE

Where as UFC.....

10F4400D-DE13-4BF1-8CE4-4D2FDC0D1139.jpeg

7F158DA8-3AF4-4874-B132-FF29C514E969.jpeg

Always annoys me when people say this about wwe. ‘Just a bunch of actors’, for starters Most have to be incredible athletes to do what they do. And yes, it’s all scripted and choreographed, but it goes wrong, regularly, and the guys get in the ring knowing this. 

How many guys have died in the ring in UFC? How many in wrestling? Or is Owen Hart actually living on a ranch somewhere and it’s all part of the act? Not to mention countless serious injuries and marches with buckets of blood. Yes, a lot of this is blading, but that’s not exactly the safest of practices, and not all of it is. 

You’ve got to respect how tough wrestlers are.

Always remember HHH completing a match with a torn cruciate I beleive (his knee was just about held on with skin), but he managed to complete the match to its scripted conclusion. I’d like to see a footballer do that. 

I know UFC isn’t scripted, but it’s still all about personality and spin, playing up to that and following the programme. UFC will spin this in their favour for some big money match in the future. There’s always a bit of a script, a back story, the ‘tale of the tape’.

9 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Always annoys me when people say this about wwe. ‘Just a bunch of actors’, for starters Most have to be incredible athletes to do what they do. And yes, it’s all scripted and choreographed, but it goes wrong, regularly, and the guys get in the ring knowing this. 

How many guys have died in the ring in UFC? How many in wrestling? Or is Owen Hart actually living on a ranch somewhere and it’s all part of the act? Not to mention countless serious injuries and marches with buckets of blood. Yes, a lot of this is blading, but that’s not exactly the safest of practices, and not all of it is. 

Always remember HHH completing a match with a torn cruciate I beleive (his knee was just about held on with skin), but he managed to complete the match to its scripted conclusion. I’d like to see a footballer do that. 

I know UFC isn’t scripted, but it’s still all about personality and spin, playing up to that and following the programme. UFC will spin this in their favour for some big money match in the future. There’s always a bit of a script, a back story, the ‘tale of the tape’.

Just because someone gets hurt or dies, doesn't mean it's a dangerous sport. Otherwise the most dangerous sport would be the one with the highest number of deaths per year. Which I think is fishing.

9 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Actors have been injured on set as well though, not saying they haven’t but if something is played out to a script be it WWE or Coronation Street they are actors.

Athletes? No self respecting athlete would allow themselves to be told to win or lose this. They might have to stay in shape but they are no athletes.

As for UFC, sure there’s a back story, same way as boxing but you know what you are watching in the cage or ring is real, if you’re going you’re going to enter any fight with the intention of battering your opponent you need to develop some hatred, get yourself fired up.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

I’m actually with David here. This could really be a problem for him as well if convicted. Surely they will kick him out of the USA with a conviction? The US is where the money is..

I started thinking this was all a gimmick but how do you get the NYPD to play along?

I'm not big into UFC but from what I've read the organisation aren't at all pleased with him as he's damaged their brand and prevented a couple of bouts. Doubt they'll be paying his legal bills. 

1 minute ago, alexxxxx said:

I'm not big into UFC but from what I've read the organisation aren't at all pleased with him as he's damaged their brand and prevented a couple of bouts. Doubt they'll be paying his legal bills. 

AGreed.. But he is box office, money always wins.

MMA is what it is, McGregor Is strangely magnetic in a lot of ways and I even paid for the Mayweather fight.. No idea why as I am also not really into it, but that’s the fella for you.. That Dana geezer will talk brave but cave in at some point..

4 minutes ago, David said:

Actors have been injured on set as well though, not saying they haven’t but if something is played out to a script be it WWE or Coronation Street they are actors.

Athletes? No self respecting athlete would allow themselves to be told to win or lose this. They might have to stay in shape but they are no athletes.

As for UFC, sure there’s a back story, same way as boxing but you know what you are watching in the cage or ring is real, if you’re going you’re going to enter any fight with the intention of battering your opponent you need to develop some hatred, get yourself fired up.

Wrestling just takes that to the nth degree. Rather than building up a big grudge match to see it disappointingly end in a first round knock out or something, they script it into an epic bout worthy of the hype and build up (not saying they get it right all the time). So it’s entertainment. At least you know with wrestling, when you pay for a pay per view, you’re going to get a few epic matches. You get no such guarantees in sport.

i think you can like both for different reasons. Sport is what sport is supposed to be of course, talented people putting their skill against each other, and you don’t know what the outcome will be. Entertainment is what sport should be, guaranteed entertaining match ups every time.

Like if you knew every football match you went to was going to end in a seven goal thriller, rather than a turgid nil-nil draw. 

I always describe wrestling as a soap opera for men, with slightly less fighting than a Mitchell brothers heavy episode of Eastenders.

Some of the moves they pull off require exceptional athletic ability. Maybe not ‘athletes’ by your description, but certainly more athletic than whoever plays Deidre Barlow. We’ve seen several examples of wrestlers in legitimate sport beating the crap out of everyone (Brock Lesner in the UFC, Kurt Angle in the Olympics), so they could do it if they wanted, they just chose the route of enternainment instead.

And they genuinely put their bodies in the line, as part of a gruelling schedule, in the name of entertainment. You’ve got to respect that. 

I'm a big boxing fan. Love doing it myself too.

But there is no way I would get into UFC. I find it a hard watch anyway. Not a fan of knees and elbows or (I think) the 4-6lbs gloves. Or the ears.  It's brutal.

Conor will not get a visa to go back to America now. It's over for him. There is no way this is fake. His ego has killed him.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Can't see it being much of a problem financially, given how much money he must already have. 

I doubt he's going to be wondering how to pay the leccy bill. 

13 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Wrestling just takes that to the nth degree. Rather than building up a big grudge match to see it disappointingly end in a first round knock out or something, they script it into an epic bout worthy of the hype and build up (not saying they get it right all the time). So it’s entertainment. At least you know with wrestling, when you pay for a pay per view, you’re going to get a few epic matches. You get no such guarantees in sport.

i think you can like both for different reasons. Sport is what sport is supposed to be of course, talented people putting their skill against each other, and you don’t know what the outcome will be. Entertainment is what sport should be, guaranteed entertaining match ups every time.

Like if you knew every football match you went to was going to end in a seven goal thriller, rather than a turgid nil-nil draw. 

I always describe wrestling as a soap opera for men, with slightly less fighting than a Mitchell brothers heavy episode of Eastenders.

Some of the moves they pull off require exceptional athletic ability. Maybe not ‘athletes’ by your description, but certainly more athletic than whoever plays Deidre Barlow. We’ve seen several examples of wrestlers in legitimate sport beating the crap out of everyone (Brock Lesner in the UFC, Kurt Angle in the Olympics), so they could do it if they wanted, they just chose the route of enternainment instead.

And they genuinely put their bodies in the line, as part of a gruelling schedule, in the name of entertainment. You’ve got to respect that. 

If people want to watch it fair play, each to their own and all that, never been into it even as a kid was never my thing even before I knew it was scripted.

Just couldn't understand why wrestlers were brought into a topic with genuine fighters, as Norman said it's just brutal fighting which at times is a tough watch, fingers being pushed into open wounds and elbows crashing into downed men. Not for everyone but another world away from the stage that is WWE.

I might have respect for wrestlers if they scrapped the scripts, tables and chairs and went for each other, best wrestlers won and not who makes the best storyline.

Archived