Eric Bristow

Mafiabob

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a sporting icon for people of a certain age even though I was a Jocky Wilson fan.

Bristow made it look effortless and had that cockiness all stars of their sport have. 

Helped made Darts the sport it is today.

60 years is no age these days. 

3 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Pele, Michael Johnston, Mohammed Ali no the fat bloke with the beer belly downing ten pints? What did you want to be when you grown up?

Not a prat...... 

8 hours ago, LesterRam said:

Treble top, no age is it.

It's double top, never seen a dart board.

8 hours ago, LesterRam said:

Pele, Michael Johnston, Mohammed Ali no the fat bloke with the beer belly downing ten pints? What did you want to be when you grown up?

What did you want to be, apart from not knowing anything about darts or the fact that Bristow was on TV a lot more than either of those three back in the day...

25 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I know he apologised later, but his comments on the abuse victims from the Bennell case were outrageous. Still, no age to go.

I met him a few times and he was a very grnuine bloke. Trying to be fair I think he was saying if it were him (a 'real man') he would go back and 'sort things' out. A thought process I think a lot of us can empathise with to a certain extent. He also then turned that thought into banter. In hindsight, a massive error which looks awful and when seen from a different angle seems crass, insensitive and downright nasty... and took no account of the victim's feelings and the wider context which is awful.

Joys of social media eh.

I love the darts...and he is about 70% of the reason it took off so massively (when you consider he mentored Phil Taylor) . A hint of arrogance...a little smirk....winding people up....all with a cheekiness that made him a housewives favourite (am I allowed to say that?).

Another slice of my childhood...and the 80s (bad teeth, pint glasses with handles, smoking in pubs) ...departs.

Sith Happens
58 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I met him a few times and he was a very grnuine bloke. Trying to be fair I think he was saying if it were him (a 'real man') he would go back and 'sort things' out. A thought process I think a lot of us can empathise with to a certain extent. He also then turned that thought into banter. In hindsight, a massive error which looks awful and when seen from a different angle seems crass, insensitive and downright nasty... and took no account of the victim's feelings and the wider context which is awful.

Joys of social media eh.

I love the darts...and he is about 70% of the reason it took off so massively (when you consider he mentored Phil Taylor) . A hint of arrogance...a little smirk....winding people up....all with a cheekiness that made him a housewives favourite (am I allowed to say that?).

Another slice of my childhood...and the 80s (bad teeth, pint glasses with handles, smoking in pubs) ...departs.

I agree to an extent that some people 'may' think that way, he might have felt differently and been a different type of 'man' had it happened to him. Its difficult because I think unless you have gone through it its truly difficult to understand, his comment is more one he should have kept to himself or shared with his likeminded buddies at the pub.

I know its slightly different but I'd dare bet that some people on here have read the depression topic and thought 'just pull yourself together'....at least, if thats true, no one as far as I know has posted that.

Its sad in a way that he has had such a great career yet in every article i have read, or report on tv news i have seen, its gone on and mentioned his comments that led to him being sacked from sky sports.

60 is no age to go but dare bet he crammed more into his 60 years than most of us would cram into 100.

RIP.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

What did you want to be, apart from not knowing anything about darts or the fact that Bristow was on TV a lot more than either of those three back in the day...

Treble top is 60 is it not? I think that is what @LesterRam was getting at.

PistoldPete2
10 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Ray Wilkins at 61, Eric Bristow 60 - these things always happen in 3's - I'm expecting 1 more national treasure of young age to be taken tomorrow... 

TBF Eric Bristow was a more obvious heart attack risk than Ray Wilkins , although Butch did have health problems and a drink problem too sadly. 

20 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Treble means three of, therefore a treble top, assuming the top of the dart board is the double twenty bed, would yield 120.

A treble top, is 60. The 20 is at the top of the board and you throw a dart into the treble.. Ergo 60. You can't score 120 with one dart.

Not a darts player myself but everyone I know will call a treble top = 60. A quick straw poll in the office here (granted most can't count to 10), agree.. Treble top = 60. Eric's age when he passed. The original post made perfect sense to me. :thumbsup:

Capture Darts.PNG

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Sorry sweaty i googled it, doesn't the top suggest the northern most part of the board. I am not into sports :ph34r:

I wanted to be an electrician, failed because I couldn't wire a plug correctly.

Archived