Derby County v Bolton Wanderers

RiddingsRam

Derby County v Bolton Wanderers 3.00 pm kick off 7/4/2018 

Well well well what a difference a weekend makes as a Rams fan , much more familiar performance defensively solid and the right changes made by Gary. 

Bolton will prove a different test and are not as a bad as there league position may suggest. 

Same team for me that started at Preston 

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I still wouldn't start Lawrence ahead of Palmer*. After a clean sheet away from home, it's difficult to suggest any defensive changes.

*Or is this the equivalent of taking a bowler off after taking a wicket (even if he's just been spanked around the park for a few overs previously)?

2 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

You get the job done, keep your places, can’t argue with that. 

We can and have played much better than we did v Preston on Saturday, hopefully the result will give them that bit of confidence to go and play more comfortably. 

Bolton have only won once on the road this season, this really would be a chance to make ammends for Friday in front of a home crowd with a dominant performance to match the result. With Millwall playing Bristol City this could be a chance to start building that gap again with a handy draw there.

Be nice if Forest can play their part away to Boro as well.

8 minutes ago, Paese said:

Personally, I still wouldn't start Lawrence ahead of Palmer*. After a clean sheet away from home, it's difficult to suggest any defensive changes.

*Or is this the equivalent of taking a bowler off after taking a wicket (even if he's just been spanked around the park for a few overs previously)?

No Lawrence has something , needs the fan to get behind him and get some confidence. 

I think the same team that started at Preston should start against Bolton. Lawrence looked a different player after he had scored and we should not throw away that new burst of confidence by dropping him. I am still hopeful that the Tom Lawrence who shone last year for Ipswich can still shine for us.

I also feel that Pearce had a good game and deserves to keep the shirt, and Baird and Wisdom are our best two full backs. Nugent is also much better than Jerome, who in my eyes seems to alternate between standing in offside positions, ambling around as if he doesn't have a care in the world or committing fouls - all of the bad attributes of Chris Martin and none of the good ones.

Same team that started against Preston. Only possible change I would look at is Palmer over Ledley in central midfield.

We shouldn't need two defensive minded CMs at home to Bolton. It'd be nice to take the initiative and attack with more technical, mobile players.

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Same team that started against Preston. Only possible change I would look at is Palmer over Ledley in central midfield.

We shouldn't need two defensive minded CMs at home to Bolton. It'd be nice to take the initiative and attack with more technical, mobile players.

Ledley is a must for me , very underated and frankly were a worse team without him in. Let's everyone else so their job. 

23 minutes ago, Kernow said:

This is what I'd like too but I don't think we've quite got it in our locker to make it work, I don't think the manager or the team is ready for anything that adventurous at this stage.

Sticking with the same team seems the best option for me, Huddlestone and Ledley worked a treat 3 months ago, let's hope they can give us that important base to build from again for the last few games. 

19 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

This is what I'd like too but I don't think we've quite got it in our locker to make it work, I don't think the manager or the team is ready for anything that adventurous at this stage.

Sticking with the same team seems the best option for me, Huddlestone and Ledley worked a treat 3 months ago, let's hope they can give us that important base to build from again for the last few games. 

It's a funny one. Against Sunderland we really lacked anyone in midfield who could link the play without hitting a 50 yard ball. Someone who could travel 20 yards with the ball. Instead Vydra and co were coming far too deep to collect the ball to be effective.

Yet having Huddz and Ledley make us look much better as a team.

I've no doubt in GR's cautious mind he wouldn't be thinking Palmer in a game such as this, and I've no problem with that, but equally there's an argument to say learn your lessons from Sunderland, who actually have a much better away record than Bolton, who have only won once away all season. Do we need a back six against them? Or will dispensing with 2 holding midfielders wreck any balance we may have?

Me I go 4 5 1 

Carson

wisdom.      Pearce.       Davies.      Baird

wiemen.      Hudds Ledley       Lawrence

Palmer

Vydra

with what we have in terms of midfielders and players on scoring form that is by far the best balance of the cautious and the flair and pace going forward ,, no more getting overrun in midfield for me ,,,, call me crazy but that’s my set up and team till the end of season with poss interchanges at ch and rb 

1 hour ago, David said:

This stat was my biggest gripe about the team selection for the Sunderland game. His record is incredible and cannot be coincidence. V similar to the Ince scoring record to games unbeaten when he was here.

He has to play if fit. Committed, Clever on the ball and influences others, like Mr Eustace used to do.  He is so vital to us. Doesn't need to be front and centre of attention but does his job, gives shape and allows others to play. A key cog in Wales success at the Euros and he has been for us so far this season, long may it continue. 

Although we continue to have the debate about mobility in midfield, Ledley and Huddlestone obviously have a partnership that works as we saw when we went on our great run. Encourage Ledley to win the ball and allow Tom to play. 

Unchanged Team from the Preston game for me.

Palmer isnt fully fit yet, but I would like him to be introduced earlier in games. That is my only real criticism of GR, his substitutions. He needs to break the game up earlier and bring in fresh legs sooner. Prime example was against Preston where Nugent was dead on his feet from 70mins, and Jerome (who I don't rate but he's all we have) could have actually provided value by stretching the game when it was obvious we were going to defend and play long balls. 

We won the game but an observation from games gone by where I think we could have won games rather than drop two points with earlier subs. 

Anyhow, When we played Bolton in August they were one of the worst teams I've seen this season, particularly at he back. Nugent and Vydra ran them ragged at he back and it should have been more than 2-1 for sure. 

Score early and give the crowd licence to keep the atmosphere high beyond 20 minutes and we can start to gain some momentum. 

6 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Derby County v Bolton Wanderers 3.00 pm kick off 7/4/2018 

Well well well what a difference a weekend makes as a Rams fan , much more familiar performance defensively solid and the right changes made by Gary. 

Bolton will prove a different test and are not as a bad as there league position may suggest. 

Yes same starting team to face Bolton and I would go further and say try and keep it that way for the remaining few games. 

9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

See if you can spot any hoof ball or Rowett ball as some like to call it.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/04/the-last-meeting-bolton-wanderers-0-1-derby-county

Not much substance from one game, Pimp. 

That would be like posting up the 5-0 win at Yeovil and arguing Clough Jnr was never negative away from home. 'Told you so' posts don't really work with 1 game of a 46 game season as evidence. 

The away fixture was a good result and good performance. No question about that.

On 03/04/2018 at 16:28, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Same team, just replace Jerome on the bench with an actual flat pack wardrobe, in honour of Chris Martin.

...or Lewis Walker.

I really can't see the point in having two forwards past their best in competition within a side with ambition of reaching the Premier League. 

Archived